Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tarrett Sway Bar Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
I was installing all the hardware of the Tarrett sway bar using the measurements of the Pelican tech article as recommended. I drilled all the holes, got everything working smoothly and welded in the inside nut backing plate. As I was standing there admiring the bar and my installation, I noticed the bar looked high compared to where the gas tank sits. Sure enough, the bar hit the tank! headbang.gif

Had to cut it all back out, redrill everything and this time I welded reinforcing plates on the outside fender well and probably should have done it the first go around but it's a good thing I didn't since it would have been more difficult to fix.

The bar is pretty big and using the nut plate is not a good reference for installation. I found that there is a crease in both fender wells at almost the perfect centerline location. I don't know if all 914's have that but assume they do.

Moral of the story, make sure your bar is not going to be too high when you drill your holes.

I also found that there are several inches machined at each end of the bar where the bearing fits are. Mine were not machined far enough and the edge of the machining was in the bearing causing a tight fit. Luckily I have a lathe and fixed it in 2 minutes.

On the good side, the bar and hardware are eye candy. Too nice to bolt on a car....
Aaron Cox
well you didnt think it quite all the way through eiether....

stcok bar = 15mm diameter.
tarett = 27mm (iirc)

rad of stock = 15/2 = 7.5mm
rad of tarett = 27/2 - 13.5mm

13.5 - 7.5 = 6mm....

so at the same measurements, the tarett will sit 6mm higher..... due to being larger diameter.....

i have installed 3 taretts... everyone of em using the stock measurements with slightly oblonged holes....

a little piece of foam between bar and tank is all that is needed....
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 17 2006, 10:14 PM) *

well you didnt think it quite all the way through eiether....

You are absolutely right. Ira told me to use the Pelican instructions. Of course I know the bar is significantly larger and unfortunately, "I assumed" that had been taken into account. No 914 instructions with the bar..

Oh well, water under the bridge now.....Just thought I would let others know to be careful. If the car has never had a bar, it's easy to drop it a little during installation if you know that it is required to do so.....

I don't think I would be happy installing a bar that rubbed on the tank and needed foam. When the tank is full and body flexing, it has to load the bar a little more.....
McMark
Thanks for posting the tip, Paul. I'm sure you're not the only one who'll get mixed up there. Maybe Ira will trade a big front bar for a good set of instructions. idea.gif
East coaster
I installed mine centered on the factory mounting location and didn't have any tank/bar interference. Can the tank pads (black rubber wedges, not little carpet pieces) shrink over time and allow the tank to settle in more? My pads were like new.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.