Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got no Juice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plas76targa
Engine and tranny are back in (again thanks to Dr Evil and Crash914). I finished the sway bar, put everything else back together and tried to start the car. Nothing. No lights on dash, nada. Checked the battery it's got 12.45V accross the terminals. The cables are correctly hooked up at battery and starter. Ground cable is attached too. But I have no juice going anywhere. Even the radio - which the PO wired hot all the time - has no juice.

Where should I start checking?

Thanks in advance!
swl
If you really have nothing at all you have to suspect the ground connection from the battery to the body. Put your meter on Ohms and check for continuity between the battery terminal and the engine.

Was everything working before you dropped the engine?
plas76targa
QUOTE(swl @ Aug 18 2006, 05:32 AM) *

If you really have nothing at all you have to suspect the ground connection from the battery to the body. Put your meter on Ohms and check for continuity between the battery terminal and the engine.

Was everything working before you dropped the engine?

Thanks Steve. Everything was fine before the engine drop. I did run two ground straps due to an earlier electrical anomaly. Currently (no pun intended) I have on ly one installed. The voltage between batt and engine is same as accross the terminals. I'll try the continuity check tonight.
watsonrx13
Make certain that the tranny ground strap is attached....

-- Rob
Dominic
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Aug 18 2006, 05:13 AM) *

Engine and tranny are back in (again thanks to Dr Evil and Crash914). I finished the sway bar, put everything else back together and tried to start the car. Nothing. No lights on dash, nada. Checked the battery it's got 12.45V accross the terminals. The cables are correctly hooked up at battery and starter. Ground cable is attached too. But I have no juice going anywhere. Even the radio - which the PO wired hot all the time - has no juice.

Where should I start checking?

Thanks in advance!

Check all the connections on the relay board as well.
tod914
there are 3 white wires on the harness towards the back of the engine that need to be attached too.. maybe recheck them and possibly reseat the harness in the relay board? Swap out the volt reg??
Steve Thacker
I had the same darn vexious problem. Check your relays. A buck says that is your problem.
JoeSharp

A buck says that is your problem.

Come on Steve, we can't drink a buck.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Dr. Roger
power relays at the fuse boxes.

and while your cleaning those, you might as well clean all of your relays, fuses, and connectors.

everyone here is driving a 30+ year old beast(s) and rarely does the electrical system get the maintance it needs until something goes wrong.

good luck.
plas76targa
Thanks for the suggestions - I will try them all after work!

I did push down on all the connections on the relay board. I will pull each, check and re-attach. Add the second ground strap. then see what happens. maybe switch a headlight relay back to the relay board as well.
Dr Evil
Did you check the big switch on your battery ground? IIRC, you have one of those connected.

YES, check continuity form ground to your battery terminal, and the realy board plugs.
plas76targa
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 18 2006, 10:45 AM) *

Did you check the big switch on your battery ground? IIRC, you have one of those connected.

Yep - checked that cutoff switch. I removed it to see if that helped. I'll check continuity tonight.
Dr Evil
Here is what I am seeing on the diagram:

Battery + into the rest of the car are pins 12 and 14 on the 14pin connector at the front of the board.
You should be getting main power directly from the battery to fuse 11, the ig switch, and your light switch.

The direct power routes have no fuses in them and go directly to the switches and TO fuse 11.

Are you hearing anything when you turn the key? Perhaps something is shorting the whole sytem out when you try to turn it on? This is a dangerous prospect so be carful not to over heat anything and cause a fire.
plas76targa
Mike, I don't recall hearing any noise when turning the ign key. I'll check voltage to the pins you describe as well as the other checks. Logging off now from work now. I'll let you know how things check out tonight (or tomorrow - domestic duties call).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.