Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge Recommendations?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
If you've already done the homework.. I'm looking for a good Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge to install permanently in the cockpit. I like the idea of being able to see what is going on after shut down, as it will help me dial in the fuel injection.

I'm guessing that VDO makes an appropriate gauge. I'd like one that looks OEM, isn't made in China, and won't spoil my day some time in the future by leaking gasoline all over me..

Recommendations?

Do you see any value in having two gauges, one on the pump "supply side", and one after its been regulated down to operating pressure?

I also have a Fuel/Air mixture gauge I bought years ago and haven't yet installed. I'm guessing it needs to go upstream of my Catalytic Converter ('76 and yes it works)....?

Thanks

Brian
Rotary'14
IMHO there are some issues with running a fuel line (that might chaffe or rupture) into your cabin. If such a catastrophe happens, it would spray highly flammable fuel at 30+ psi right where you are. Be careful. Are you sure an electrical pressure guage might not be safer?

Just my .02

-Rob
DNHunt
I agree. Keep fuel under pressure behind the firewall. I'm not sure what you hope to gain unless you have an fuel pressure regulator that varies with manifold pressure. Stock FI is fixed pressure so set it and forget it.

Dave
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Aug 18 2006, 07:22 AM) *

If you've already done the homework.. I'm looking for a good Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge to install permanently in the cockpit. I like the idea of being able to see what is going on after shut down, as it will help me dial in the fuel injection.

I'm guessing that VDO makes an appropriate gauge. I'd like one that looks OEM, isn't made in China, and won't spoil my day some time in the future by leaking gasoline all over me..

Recommendations?

Do you see any value in having two gauges, one on the pump "supply side", and one after its been regulated down to operating pressure?

I also have a Fuel/Air mixture gauge I bought years ago and haven't yet installed. I'm guessing it needs to go upstream of my Catalytic Converter ('76 and yes it works)....?

Thanks

Brian

I have never run one in the cockpit and frankly they don't move much anyway so it wouldn't be your most interesting gauge. I have put one in line in the engine compartment. I got mine at Summit Racing. Its most telling feature is if the system holds pressure after the engine is shut off which you would just pop the hood and check anyway. Unless you are doing a little increased fuel pressure tuning??
As far as the two gauge thing, I don't see the value as the system is a loop and the pressure is the same however, the gauges are very cheap. I recall something like $15.00 each... They are push on barbs and a clamp at each side.

Rob
Mueller
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Aug 18 2006, 07:35 AM) *

IMHO there are some issues with running a fuel line (that might chaffe or rupture) into your cabin. If such a catastrophe happens, it would spray highly flammable fuel at 30+ psi right where you are. Be careful. Are you sure an electrical pressure guage might not be safer?

Just my .02

-Rob

There are fuel pressure gauges that you can mount in the cabin, the fuel line in the engine compartment goes to a bellows/isolator which has a non-flammable liquid in the line on the other side which transmits the pressure to the gauge inside the cabin.
Brian Mifsud
Sounds like maybe what I want is two gauges. An electrical one with sender to use in cabin, and a mechanical one inline in the engine compartment itself.

Am trying to find an electrical one for the interior that looks OEM.. any suggestions?
Cap'n Krusty
As the good folks at Autoextremist.com are fond of saying, a cabin mounted fuel pressure gauge in a 914 is the answer to the question nobody's asking. Other than eye candy, and extremely boring eye candy at that, there's no reason to add a fuel pressure gauge, and especially two of 'em. There's NOTHING you can do out on the road if the pressure drops, other than replace a leaking hose, no reason to monitor the after-regulator pressure, no reason to add complexity to your car, and no reason to add another possible reason for the car to catch fire. The FPR does a good job, almost NEVER fails (I've never seen a bad D-jet one in 33 years on the job, nor have I heard of one failing), and is just one of those things that "just is". But then, what do I know? The Cap'n
TJB/914
Brian,

I like what I did. Added (spliced) a VDO Fuel Pressure Gauge on the driver side fuel rail center outlet feeding fuel to the cold start valve.

I like it and it works for me. Those VDO gauges are rather pricie.

Tom
Porcharu
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2006, 09:21 AM) *

There are fuel pressure gauges that you can mount in the cabin, the fuel line in the engine compartment goes to a bellows/isolator which has a non-flammable liquid in the line on the other side which transmits the pressure to the gauge inside the cabin.

Like one of these Isolator
you use a water coolant mix on the gauge side and you have to bleed all of the air out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.