Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headrage wants help or ideas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLITS
Allan just called and is sitting on the highway waiting for AAA. He was headed for Buttonwillow. The /6 was running fine and then the was a big bang, like a backfire, followed by white smoke. Engine turns over fine but will not start.

Based on the description, I told him it sounded like he might have dropped a valve and possibly holed a piston. Not what I wanted to tell him but..........

Any of you experts want to add to this....feel free.

If you want to console or question him, call him on his cell....(661) 979-2266
SLITS
Ok, he just called.....the problem is in his cap and rotor......the rotor apparently has been hitting the contacts on the cap and split up the middle....so, the engine went way out of time.

He is now looking to find a cap and rotor from a local FLAPS so he can still make Buttonwillow.

Any help from the group? If he is running the Petronix, is there different height rotors to be used? Does the Petronix elevate the rotor on a /6 dizzy?

Hey, I gave you guys his cell number...help him out.
Eric_Shea
I called and told him I'll be there in about 10 hours... leaving now driving.gif
Toast
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 18 2006, 07:47 AM) *

Any of you experts want to add to this....feel free.

Don't let your father-in-law tinker with your car when you are not there.
sixnotfour
make sure the black ring for the ignitor is installed all the way. if its not it will make the rotor taller.
J P Stein
Yes.....the magnetic goodie that mounts on the dizzy shaft must be fully seated or the rotor will not seat properly and will be too high....and may come un-stuck entirely......this can take some tinkerin'...or brute force.

edit: Quick draw jeff beats me again. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Yet ANOTHER Pertronix related road kill. Need I say more about my opinion of their product? The Cap'n, vindicated again
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 18 2006, 08:01 AM) *

Ok, he just called.....the problem is in his cap and rotor......the rotor apparently has been hitting the contacts on the cap and split up the middle....so, the engine went way out of time.

He is now looking to find a cap and rotor from a local FLAPS so he can still make Buttonwillow.

Any help from the group? If he is running the Petronix, is there different height rotors to be used? Does the Petronix elevate the rotor on a /6 dizzy?

Hey, I gave you guys his cell number...help him out.

A 2.7 cap and rotor from a FLAPS? Surely you jest ................... The Cap'n
SLITS
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 18 2006, 10:38 AM) *

Which is about just what I said.
alpha434
Get on pelican and see if anyone local in the area has the part and would bring it to him. Make sure he's ready to pay the big $.
sixnotfour
Yet ANOTHER Pertronix related road kill. Need I say more about my opinion of their product? The Cap'n, vindicated again

Is why I have a spare loaded points dizzy in the trunk........
JoeSharp
Update Please.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
SLITS
Tried to call....he doesn't answer...so he's either having fun on the track or still stuck in Bakerturkey.
Allan
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 18 2006, 04:42 PM) *

Update Please.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

Here's an update for ya... smile.gif

7:30 am car goes BANG and quits. Call AAA and they tell me 30 minutes for a tow truck to arrive. No problem, I got a big soda and a breakfast burrito to keep me busy. 8:00 comes and goes. Finally at 9:30 the truck shows. WTF.gif

Get the car home and find a cap and rotor at a parts house. R&R cap and rotor and start out again. Finally get there at 11:30. They were good about it and let me run (another thread with pics for that).

Here's the damage

sixnotfour
were is your door panel man? engine lid? support truck?
I left a 914 between I-5 and bakersfield ,the nice farmer man said he'd give it a good burial if it wasn't gone in a week.
pushed the ignitor ring on all the way huh ?
Allan
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 18 2006, 07:29 PM) *

Door panels will probably go in this weekend.

I run without the engine lid because it drops my temps 10 - 15 degrees.
DanT
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 18 2006, 07:40 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 18 2006, 07:29 PM) *

Door panels will probably go in this weekend.

I run without the engine lid because it drops my temps 10 - 15 degrees.

You need an oil cooler if you need to do that....at least get/make a GT lid....

2.7L on the track needs an oil cooler up front... smile.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 18 2006, 07:46 PM) *

You need an oil cooler if you need to do that....at least get/make a GT lid....

2.7L on the track needs an oil cooler up front... smile.gif

Agreed. It's in the plans... thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.