Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rubbers... hehe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Hey, I've got low manifold vaccuum that's screwing up my fuel mixture. I think the problem lies in the short hoses from the plenum to the intake runners. I was looking on Pelican and they sell them for the 1.8&2.0 but not the 1.7. However, they do say that you can use the later ones on the early motor if you use hose clamps. Has anyone here done this? Does it work?
Also, as an alternative, Bleyseng suggested using silicon hose, but I have no idea what he's talking about. Do any of you? Do you know where to find some? I would be asking him, but I have no way to reach him quickly and I need to get as much of this done today as possible. Thanks all.
Mark D.
Cap'n Krusty
"However, they do say that you can use the later ones on the early motor if you use hose clamps. Has anyone here done this?"

Bullshit. Won't work well at all. The diameters are substantially different, and clamping the new hoses, which have about 5mm wall thickness, is gonna result in more leaks than you already may have. An easy test is to spray soapy water on the "boots" while it's running. If you notice a change in the engine vacuum readings, there's your answer. If not, look elsewhere. BTW, do you have a stock cam? Are the valves properly adjusted? Are your dwell and timing correct?

The Cap'n
GWN7
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 18 2006, 11:09 AM) *

Also, as an alternative, Bleyseng suggested using silicon hose, but I have no idea what he's talking about. Do any of you? Do you know where to find some? I would be asking him, but I have no way to reach him quickly and I need to get as much of this done today as possible. Thanks all.
Mark D.

He's probably refering to high temp silicone hose such as the Gates. It comes in various sizes. A industrial supply place might carry it or certain sizes are used on large trucks. I got a chunk from my local Peterbuilt dealer for the V8 car when I had one let go. Try the yellow pages for Industrial hose and/or Truck parts.
BMXerror
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 18 2006, 11:47 AM) *

Bullshit. Won't work well at all. The diameters are substantially different, and clamping the new hoses, which have about 5mm wall thickness, is gonna result in more leaks than you already may have. An easy test is to spray soapy water on the "boots" while it's running. If you notice a change in the engine vacuum readings, there's your answer. If not, look elsewhere. BTW, do you have a stock cam? Are the valves properly adjusted? Are your dwell and timing correct?

The Cap'n

Well, that's why I asked. I didn't really trust that statement either. In answer to your questions, yes, yes, and yes. I T-ed in a vacuum gauge and got a fairly steady reading of 10 inches at idle. Of course, it would barely idle being so rich. I also plugged a vacuum pump into the mps and plugged the MPS vacuum port on the manifold. I pulled a vacuum of 22 inches directly on the MPS and it idled a lot better, though still not perfect due to the obvious leaks... I don't know why I'm telling you this. Thanks for the info guys. BTW, it kinda baffles me that they don't sell those rubber boots for the 1.7 anymore. Does anyone make reproductions that you know of, or am I gonna have to get creative? Thanks again
Mark D.
Mueller
take an itake runner down to the auto parts place, ask to go behind the counter to look at the radiator hoses....find one that is a nice snug fit and buy it smile.gif

NAPA normally has a great selection of truck rad. hose
BMXerror
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2006, 12:26 PM) *

take an itake runner down to the auto parts place, ask to go behind the counter to look at the radiator hoses....find one that is a nice snug fit and buy it smile.gif

Is radiator hose resistant to fuel though? Because your enrichment valve is before those hoses. confused24.gif
Mark D.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 18 2006, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2006, 12:26 PM) *

Is radiator hose resistant to fuel though? Because your enrichment valve is before those hoses. confused24.gif
Mark D.

The number of times you start your car within the temp parameters of ythe TTS/CSV system is apt to be so few that it wouldn't matter. The Cap'n
Bleyseng
the 2.0L manifold gasket don't work!

silicon hose is just what GWN7 said- industrial hose for cars or trucks instead of rubber radiator hose which will work too.

Just find something that fits correctly!
jim_hoyland
Try either of these two links for hose:

http://stylinmotors.com/

http://www.paragonperformance.com/

One or both have hoses or that size

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.