Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP - uOil switch fell in tin...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
D1A3
Hi everyone,

I was installing a new oil pressure switch on my 2.0 tonight and the damn thing fell down inside the cooling tin. I could feel that it fell forward towards the firewall. I tried to fish it out and it "dropped" down to wherever that goes... Any ideas on how to get it out without removing the engine? Is there an access I coudl unscrew the tin from the bottom and wedge it back to reach in?

I cannot beleive this and really wanted to drive it to an apointment I have in the morning... Any help is appreicated.

Thanks,
Jason
grasshopper
You could probably pick up on of those flexible extending magnets and fish it down through the tin to get it out. A magnet is the only thing that I can think of... smile.gif
D1A3
Is there anything down in there I shoudl worry about? Can I just leave it down in there until I have time to drop the engine?

What can I do until I get a new one in that case? Anyone know what size screw woudl fit to close the hole up? I WANT TO DRIVE!!!!! driving.gif
grasshopper
Uhh...I really dont remember, but I think that there is a gap between the cylinder and the oil cooler that i could have fallen down through...I really dont remember, as it has been so long since I took apart my first T4 engine..(which is still apart)
Cap'n Krusty
1/8" NSP Plugs available lotsa places, even your FLAPS. The OP switch contains nothing of any consequence that's a ferrous metal, so a magnet isn't gonna be of much use. My concern would be it's gonna rub against the oil cooler and make a hole. Not good. You might be able to look up from the bottom and see it, maybe even move it with a piece of cost ahnger. The OE ones, the ONLY kind to use, can be installed with a 4" piece of 12mm hose pushed on over the plastic part. Nice tool, cheap, and it WORKS. Good luck. The Cap'n
D1A3
Thanks Cap'n. I'll get underneath it in the morning and see. I did not think you could see up in there from underneath, but now that I think of it, sounds reasonable. If oil can leak down, I'm sure the OP switch can too. idea.gif

I'll have to remember the hose idea. Sounds like something I heard before and know, but conveniently forgot.

My worst fear is having to drop the engine to get the tin off in order to get it out... More work than I am currently up for.

--Jason
VegasRacer
Have you tried Chopsticks? cool.gif
D1A3
Thanks guys for the quick support last night. I went out this morning and looked under the car and the new OP switch had fallen on the oil return tubes and was just sitting there. I coudl not see it last night in the dark and was freaking out...

I used the hose suggestion fro the Cap'n to install it and found it MUCH easier this way. I'm just wondering though... does anyone know how much torque the OP switch should be tightened too? I got a socket (kind of) on the switcha nd tightened it as much as I could, but the grip was ppor and I don't think the torque is very much.

Hopefully it will not leak!

Thanks again for the support guys and please comment on the torque for the OP switch if you don't mind.

--Jason
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.