Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rocker shaft nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
I'm starting to install my ceramic valve lifters and was wondering if anyone uses lock tight when tightening the rocker shaft nuts? 10 foot pounds right?
sixnotfour
I did on my 56 bug , caus they fell off, dont know if they werent tight enough or old wavy lock washers or they needed lock tight ,
hope someone can help you.
is this the kind of post in the classifieds that should not be posted ?
Aaron Cox
ellyut... how is the cam this time around??

how did the old lifters look??

no loctite. do not over torque, (strippage!)
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 18 2006, 09:22 PM) *

ellyut... how is the cam this time around??

how did the old lifters look??

no loctite. do not over torque, (strippage!)

Aaron,
The cam is good. The number four exhaust valve lifter collapsed on the inside where the push rod sits. I'll try to post a pic cause I think this is a rare accurance. Or maybe not, I don't know. The suface that meets the cam is beutiful. They look new. After 2600 miles to the WCC and back, one valve was tapping badly. All the other valves where within one thousandth of where they had been set before I left. The number four exhaust seemed about 1/16 of an inch off. That's when I decided to install the ceramic lifters. (Thanks again Clayton). Has anyone heard from Clayton lately? The last time I took it to FAT Performance with bad lifters, the number two exhaust lifter had collapsed. These ceramic lifters better do it for me. The upside is, I'm getting good at adjusting valves.
Cheers, Elliot
Twystd1
Elliot,

1) Are you using Chrome Moly pushrods or aluminum push rods????

2) Are the lifters I got you the EXACT same INSTALLED length as the ones you took out? (Measured from cup to lifter face)

YOU want to make sure your rocker geometry is correct if the lifter dimensions are differant.... SO CHECK em bro..!!!!!

Please answer these two questions before you FINISH your installation.

You have my number... or you can get it from Aaron...

Claytonovich
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Aug 19 2006, 01:42 AM) *

Elliot,

1) Are you using Chrome Moly pushrods or aluminum push rods????

2) Are the lifters I got you the EXACT same INSTALLED length as the ones you took out? (Measured from cup to lifter face)

YOU want to make sure your rocker geometry is correct if the lifter dimensions are differant.... SO CHECK em bro..!!!!!

Please answer these two questions before you FINISH your installation.

You have my number... or you can get it from Aaron...

Claytonovich

Hi Clayton,
Not to worry. Steel push rods. The ceramic lifters add not quite a mm to the length of the push rods and I got some shims from FAT Performance to compensate for that. I've got one side together and will do the rest next week. No lock tight and 10 foot pounds. See ya.
Elliot
SGB
no locktite. Wavey washers. 10 ft-lbs. After you put the PR tube retaining wire back in, take some needle nose pliers and tug on it where it dissapears down below the PR to make sure it is seated at the top of the edge of the pushrod tube- pushing down against the edge of the tube opening and not so far into the PR tube that it has nothing to seat aginst. BTDT....

edit-
unless you have hydrualic cam like me, then you use flat washers. I can't tell you why, but that was part of the install proceedure. I remembered this taking off my own rocker assemblies recently.
Aaron Cox
hooray!
So.Cal.914
Blue loctite. But thats just me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.