Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Greg Bell
Guys,

I think I am going to order a welding rig. I asked this question last year and got some suggestions. The biggest question was bettwen 110 and 220.

For 914 projects, do I need a 220?
So.Cal.914
220 v
Jax914
220 will cost you slightly less operating, but you'll need a 220 circuit wherever you weld. Of course, tt's nice to have a dedicated 15 amp 110 circuit so you may end up installing something anyway.

If you ever want to take your welder somewhere, 110 is available wherever you go...I had to take mine across the street and weld some new studs onto my neighbors swimming board mount....no 220 there.

If you're going with a Mig, make sure you get the gas option...flux core wire is messy. I've got a Miller 135 and love it! I also have a large stick welder, but the mig will do everything up to and including frame work.

Troy
welder.gif
McMark
110 MIG will do you for most everything you need to do. 220 can weld thicker stuff, but 110 will do up to 1/8" plate, so the extra range of 220 is wasted.
Boojum
If you can get 220 to wherever you're likely to be welding, get 220. If you don't think you'll be taking your welder to other places, it's the only way to go, IMO. The cost isn't that much more, and if you need to weld thicker stuff, that flexibility will be rewarded, and if you ever decide to upgrade welder-wise, you're basically set until you find something that requires 3-phase shocked[1].gif

I assume we're talking MIG, anyway. In most ways I'm a Miller Electric guy... But I have a Lincoln SP-175 MIG welder, and I have to say I love it. It's a little guy that you can throw in the back of a truck, but it's been rock-solid dependable to me (I used it extensively in the construction of my shop) and it's a bit cheaper than the nearest Miller welder. If their smaller welders are as good I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

Also, don't even think about using flux-core wire on a car. It's way, way, way too hot for most materials on a car, unless we're talking armored car, then maybe... Even then, only if you subscribe to the "the bigger the glob, the better the job" philosophy. drooley.gif
Eric_Shea
For 914 projects, do I need a 220?

Absolutely not.

Get a Lincoln 110. Perfect for anything on a 914 and beyond.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.