Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HVLP spray guns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
20 oz gravity feed (seems kinda small, $32)

pressure pot (2 quarts! $35)

This would be for painting a 914. I have a couple regular spray guns, which I would use for primer and for shooting paint deep under the fenders. I'd like to use an HVLP to do the overall exterior. I'll be painting it on a rotisserie if that matters.

Go ahead and tell me to buy a $250 "real" spray gun... it won't work. I'm in full CSOB "git 'er done" mode now. smile.gif
fiid
Wanna do my car at the same time?? biggrin.gif
craig downs
I have both however I have a good gun for the pressure pot. I also have that
same gravity gun shown there and it works very well. If I had to chose which
one I would go with the gravity feed. I love working with a pressure pot but
I don"t know how good that gun is that comes with it. A pressure pot is good for
doing a whole car because you don't have to stop and fill up so much. For that
price I would get them both.
Lou W
Hi Royce, this is the gun that I bought to replace the ones that I gave you, I paid $100.00 each, I bought them both at my local paint supply store was pretty resonable.
TimT
Buy this gun

Its LVLP ( LOW Volume Low Pressure) meaning it wont tax your compressor so much. Most home compressors can barely keep up with a HVLP gun. The evo needs 7.8 cfm at 40 psi, but I have found spraying high solids clears that 25-29 psi is fine

Oh the Evo is $154 but worth it, though you can get by with cheap guns. The EVo is very efficient with paint meaning more paint is sticking to the car than getting wasted as overspray

Also you can always EBAY the gun when your done with it wink.gif
TimT
Oh and a trick for being able to use a gravity feed gun upside down is:

*get a ziplock bag

*snip one corner

*stuff the baggie into the cup

*stuff one of those little plastic strainers into the cup

* fill with paint

* close zip lock bag

*put cap on cup and paint away in any position

also makes for easy cleanup!!

smoke.gif
Bleyseng
I bought Eastwoods HVLP gun set that was on special for $100. They work great!

I have a FLAPS POS $100 compressor (twin small bottles-construction type) as my $650 one toasted.

At 30lbs the compressor pretty much kept up with the spray gun if I went slow when I sprayed. Results were excellent. biggrin.gif
eeyore
pressure pot (2 quarts! $35)
"Shipping weight: 31.3lbs! What's up with that?

Go with the gravity feed. It's lighter, and the $3 you'll save on purchase price, plus the unknown amount on shipping will go some way toward all the 1000, 1500, & 2000 grit sandpaper you'll be using to sand out the orange peel. As for small capacity, the place you're mixing paint can't be all that far from the "spray booth". I like taking a break every few minutes.

However, since we're not really concerned about the how the paint looks after it comes out of the gun and sticks itself to the car, (in which the purchase prce and the words "Harbor Freight" and "Central Pneumatic" indicate to the contrary) the presure pot has a nicer product manual -- 5 extra pages.
jr91472
I actually bought a cheap HPLV gun at Home Depot (Husky) and it worked great. Granted I only used it for the interior of my engine bay, but it looks great to me. biggrin.gif

Those HPLV guns are awsome, not near the amount of overspray that I was expecting. Easy cleanup.
smdubovsky
I have a devilbis finish line 3 (FL3). Was < $100. Gravity feed, aluminum cup. Its FAR better than the harbor freight & sears guns I've used. I've done my 911, 4 E30 racecars, one E36, and dyed/laquered my kitchen cabinets. I'll be doing the 914 w/ it when the time comes. The baggie kit that goes inside is cheap and a *MUST* for painting cars. Allows you to hold the gun upside down to do rockers and wheel archs. Also makes cleanup a <5min process. I cant believe someone didn't think of it years ago.

SMD
bondo
Here's the coupon links, so if you would get both, you can! smile.gif

coupon sheet 1

coupon sheet 2

Note that the first coupon sheet expires today. As they add new coupons, they just increment the fname= number, and I've seen retailA, B and C. These coupons are only good in the store, so the ridiculous shipping weight doesn't matter. I always check these online coupons before going to HF. smile.gif

I have decided to get the pressure pot because I'm pretty sure I'd never pay the $$$ for a better one. If I don't like it or decide I need a gravity feed in addition, I'll get one of the ones reccomended here. And thanks for the baggie tip, that sounds like a great trick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.