Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I join the Club?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric Hagelin
Hello!

I was first introduced to this club when I tried to sell my 914 on eBay back around the 4th of July. I received a few e-mails from 914world.com forum members with comments (some nice, some not-so-nice) about my car, and I came to this forum briefly to respond to specifics and defend myself (and my car).

Of course, I hung around and read some threads. After spending considerable time (weeks) reading through hundreds of threads here, it dawned on me that I love my car just as much as all of you people love yours. I LOVE driving it. I love just looking at it. There is nothing better in the world than a warm summer day/night with the top off in my 914 - well... okay, there might be a few better things... but it's "up there".

So I've decided to keep my 914 and join the club, if you'll have me. I live in the Northern suburbs of Seattle (Lake Stevens). I have a gold '75 2.0 which apparently was converted to 1.8 with the L-Jet thing, whatever that is. I am a mechanic by trade, but not on cars - large commercial HVAC equipment is what I work on - so my automotive troubleshooting and auto-mechanic knowledge and skills are limited.

The car is a real beauty - restored, but not to original... it has plenty of customization - most of it I like, some of it I'd be interested in changing. It runs great and turns lots of heads wherever I take it - I get a lot of compliments on it. I bought in in April of this year, and it's my second 914. I do not know how to post a pic on this forum or I'd put one up.

I grew up in Southern California in the '70's, so I got to see a LOT of 914's and they were always my favorite car - so I bought my first one - a '76 - in 1986 (it was my first car ever, I was 19 years old). I totaled it after only 3 weeks of ownership. I always wanted another one - didn't think it would take 20 years, but now it is here.

Oh, by the way - when I tried to sell my car on eBay back in July, I made a knuckle-headed comment about "people at the forum ragging on my car because they had pieces of junk and they were jealous" - or something to that effect. I apologize. That was a stupid thing to write, and obviously, after spending some time at this forum reading through a lot of threads, (especially the pics of forum-member's cars) - I was wrong about that. Many of you have stunningly-beautiful 914s and it's evident that you have put much time, muscle, and cash into them. (And... a few of you do have some really beat-up old cans! But I don't mean that in any insulting way. At least you've got one!) Seriously, please accept my apology for that comment I made back in July. You all have an incredible wealth of knowledge and experience, not to mention some good comraderie. I'd like to join your group.

Kind regards,

Eric Hagelin
So.Cal.914
welcome.png
cbenitah
welcome.png

you will love it here
erikstoll
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Aug 19 2006, 11:20 AM) *

welcome.png

you will love it here

I agree, I dont even have a 914 and i love it here smile.gif
72914S
Now repeat after me"I(state your name)have a 914 problem" screwy.gif One more thing thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif (After you post a few times you can insert a picture) welcome.png
Gustl
welcome.png - from far, far away biggrin.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
BKLA
This place can help you find, repair replace, rebuild, restore, modify anything on your 914.

Not a bad place to hang out either! biggrin.gif

ENJOY and

welcome.png
TINCAN914
I'm sure comments were made about your car, that were inappropiate. No need to apologize (IMO) as I'm sure some if not all of them were not necessary.
Anyway all is forgiven biggrin.gif

Great people here, and a great deal of knowledge!!!

welcome.png beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Hey Man,
Eloquent intro biggrin.gif welcome.png We have even been known to kick off, reaccept and promote to ADMIN status some of the harder to deal with people around here wink.gif

You are welcome here thumb3d.gif
Eric_Shea
welcome.png
JoeSharp
Eric: welcome.png I guess you already know how it is here, just like any family we have our problems but we usally beat them up pertty bad too.
Hope you enjoy this place as much as I do.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Allan
rocking nana.gif welcome.png givemebeer.gif

You know how to bbq? biggrin.gif
GWN7
Hello and welcome smile.gif
Eric Hagelin
Thanks for the welcomes, everybody. My wife (who does not share my deep appreciation for the 914) is in Spokane for the weekend - I just spoke to her on the phone a few minutes ago, explaining to her that I "joined the Club" and will be keeping the 914. (I have been going back and forth about whether or not to keep it.) I could tell she was rolling her eyes. smile.gif

I recently bought a 2006 Chevy Aveo for my commute, and have had nothing but problems with it. One more visit to the dealer's service shop, and it qualifies for the Lemon Law - and I fully anticipate receiving a brand-new Aveo in replacement soon. I bought the Aveo about the same time that I originally put my 914 on eBay - and have been considering taking the Aveo and the 914 over to a VW dealership and trading in both for a new GTI or Rabbit with a few extras.... but hey - there is simply no substitute for a 914. Can I get an amen, brothers and sisters?

I told my wife that next year, I'd be happy to buy her her very own 914 as a 15th Wedding Anniversary present. smile.gif She declined, and said she'd rather have an Audi TT, uber-grey paint, brown leather interior. Whew - guess I'd better put in some OT at work! The TT might have to wait 'til the 20th Anniversary! (But I told her she could get me a 2nd 914...)

I'm sure that I'll be calling on people here at this forum for their counsel as things malfunction... until then, happy driving!

-EH

PS- How many posts do I have to make before I can post a pic of my car? (And how do I do it - I'm not a computer expert...)
VegasRacer
Welcome. IPB Image You'll fit right in with the rest of us misfits.

IPB Image
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Eric Hagelin @ Aug 19 2006, 03:52 PM) *

PS- How many posts do I have to make before I can post a pic of my car? (And how do I do it - I'm not a computer expert...)

Eric, welcome to the MADNESS.... and welcome.png

BTW, the quoted part about posting pics after so many posts is an urban legend, you can post any time. But there is a size limit and file type....

-- Rob
Eric Hagelin
Okay, I'm no computer guru, so I don't know if this will work, but I'm going to try to add a couple pics of my car:

JRust
welcome.png Nice looking car. Not a big fan of the front bumper but I like the older lighter ones! Glad to have you. WE have a pretty good group of guys in the Seattle area give or take a couple hundred miles biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 19 2006, 11:39 AM) *

Hey Man,
Eloquent intro biggrin.gif welcome.png We have even been known to kick off, reaccept and promote to ADMIN status some of the harder to deal with people around here wink.gif

EHHHH...YOU TALKING TO ME???? You must be ..except ya got it wrong...I was never kicked off...I went kicking kicking and screaming.....

Anyways...we are a tuff love, cheap ass bunch of fun loving people...if we ignore you that means we don't like you...the more we pick on ya...the more we TRY tell ya we love ya....or something like that...

Welcome to the Machine.... bootyshake.gif
Eric Hagelin
Not a big fan of the front bumper...

That's funny - I've read through many of the threads here, and have come across a number of comments like that. Based on what I've read, it seems like a majority of the forum members like the metal bumpers from the '70 - '74 era.

But I have to go with the rubber contingent (if there is one). I just like the way they make the car look more... pointy.
Joe Bob
Couple of GOOD things about the Red Rugged Rubber Baby Bumpers....is that they are plentiful and you can get good used replacements....but I've never seen one wear out...they are like Herpes...around forever....AND you can hide a pretty good sized oil cooler up there....
carreraguy
QUOTE(Eric Hagelin @ Aug 19 2006, 06:35 PM) *

Not a big fan of the front bumper...

That's funny - I've read through many of the threads here, and have come across a number of comments like that. Based on what I've read, it seems like a majority of the forum members like the metal bumpers from the '70 - '74 era.

But I have to go with the rubber contingent (if there is one). I just like the way they make the car look more... pointy.

Hi Eric - welcome to the "non-Club". I get ignored routinely but it doesn't bother me! biggrin.gif
I tend to agree with you about the "Rugged Rubber Baby Bumpers". I would have kept my '76 car (pic attached) if the freakin' CA smog laws would have let me I add more HP!
Later,

So.Cal.914
The condom bumpers are ok(saftey bumper) but they are extremely heavy. I

have been dealing with deteriorating bumper tops for years but have put off

replacing them and putting the money other places, I wouldn't want the bill

to replace those babys.
Pat Garvey
Eric,

Welcome 914 freak!

Get the wife her TT - not a shabby car!

But you will have the POSITIVE investment (but, don't rub it in). Hers, as nice as it is, will see its value deteriorate. On the other hand, yours can go no where but up - it IS a class after all.

So, that gives you leverage to buy STUFF for it - you know, to preserve its value!

Take it from a CW (which I consider an affecionate term from THIS group) - a little leverage doesn't hurt. Sometimes you need to reinforce it with jewelry, but it works.

34 years with mine ( as of teusday) - not the wife - the 914, and it's never failed. 38 with the wife. Give & take, though they always win in total.

Yes, you can join the Club. Your dues are taken care of.
jimtab
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 19 2006, 11:39 AM) *

Hey Man,

agree.gif Well said Mike...we also can teach you that if your car isn't broken it can be fixed until it is...(no apology to DD) biggrin.gif Oh yeah.... welcome.png
Lou W
welcome.png Nice looking car. smilie_pokal.gif
Bleyseng
Nice looking car! Look for the Teener Tuesday thread for the meetings of the North end 914 Seattle guys.

Wow, is the paint original color? Third gold car then I have seen.

Dude, now we haveto get you some 4 bolt Fuchs instead of those VW Bug rims..... av-943.gif
messix
hey eric welcome!
you just missed a great teener tues. run to kevins lake house in carnation. i led a little fun run out along high bridge road to get out there. driving.gif

it's good to hear of another north end teener, ilive in the millcreek-snohomish area
and there's several others up here.

oh and very nice car!
Eric Hagelin
Thanks, everybody - for your kind words about my car. And for the invite to a 'Teener Tuesday - I am definitely interested - just let me know when and where!

Nope, the paint isn't original. I received an e-mail recently from someone who claimed to be the original owner of my car, and he said it was originally blue... but I find traces of red here and there when I look really hard.

Dude, now we haveto get you some 4 bolt Fuchs instead of those VW Bug rims...

I'm actually in the market for new rims. I like the look of the ones I've got now, but I've seen pics of some really sweet ones here at this forum. I'll have to go back through everybody's pics and pick out the ones I like best. What are the best sources for purchasing?

Pat - thanks for the welcome! I think you were one of the guys who dogged my car when I had it on eBay! (I forgive you... and please forgive me if I dogged you back!) What is a "CW"? Congratulations on the long marriage - pretty rare these days...

Eric Hagelin
Carreraguy - that '76 is a real cream puff. I like the back-drop too - really sets of the yellow nicely.
Dr Evil
CW = Concourse Weenie; noun, a person that is totally obsessed with keeping their vehicle in as new condition, without modification, and is generally preoccupied with using Q tips to get every spec of dirt off of their car.

Pat is a hard core CW and kinda vocal about it, donchaknow biggrin.gif

I am an anti CW, but I can respect the tolerant CW types and CW types of cars.
carreraguy
QUOTE(Eric Hagelin @ Aug 19 2006, 10:36 PM) *

Carreraguy - that '76 is a real cream puff. I like the back-drop too - really sets of the yellow nicely.

Thanks! That was taken at the 2005 WCC at the Streets of Willow race track. The current owner (Chris) is in the USAF in Germany and has driven it at the "Ring".

BTW - "CW" is the abbreviation for "concours weenie"; a semi-polite putdown for the guys that like to keep their cars in great shape and totally stock. If you are in to concours, check out the concours room - I think Pat is the moderator there. I used to be more CW than I am now, still qualified as a PCA concours judge but I'm more into HP than originality now. biggrin.gif
Later,
Eric Hagelin
I wouldn't mind having a fully-restored-fully-original immaculately q-tipped 914.

But I think that once I got it there, I'd put on a Grant custom foam steering wheel (like you see on old baja bugs, old hot-rod Mustangs, go-karts and souped-up Torinos) just to irritate people.
Bleyseng
Most 75 cars that did upgrade the rims went to the optional Fuchs like in the pic of Carreraguys Yellow car.

You could also buy the Mahle rims which came on the LE cars. Those were painted redish or yellow but for the normal 914's were painted silver.

People sell them from time to time in the classifieds. There are fake 4 Fuchs too but those are painted black background with aluminum raised petals.
Dr. Roger
this club is a trip.

one day i'm offending club members like there's no tomorrow (ladies of 914 calendar) and then later teardrops are falling because of a club member, who i just ate breakfast with a few months ago, is brain dead and they're gonna' pull the plug.

this is a great place to meet some really great people.

BTW, nice ride. =-)

Roger
(and "no", i'm not an MD) LOL

does this mean if i upload an offensive avater and post some over the top T & A, i'll get elevated to Admin status????
sory MikeZ, I had to ask.... =-) hey, i've already done this! LMAO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.