Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sapphire 14 radio factory?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Bill D
My new to me late 73 2.0 has a Sapphire 14 town and country radio. According to Johnson's book only Blaupunkt radios came from the factory. The radio looks to good to be a dealer install. It still works. Anybody else have this radio?

grasshopper
Yep, that is the correct radio for your car. No 914's came with radio's from the factory, so they were all dealer option items.
Gustl
I have the same radio, unfortunately not working ...

Barry, what makes you think that there were no radios factory installed?????? confused24.gif

Of course there were several radios factory options!

Just look at all the price lists I posted recently

just a small sample:
M095 - Blaupunkt Wolfsburg
M096 - Blaupunkt Braunschweig
M097 - Blaupunkt Emden
--- these were 1971 Radios for the /4

M450 - Blaupunkt Boston
M452 - Blaupunkt Frankfurt
M453 - Blaupunkt Frankfurt US
M454 - Blaupunkt Köln
M455 - Blaupunkt New York
M459 - Becker Grand Prix
M460 - Becker Grand Prix US
--- these were the 1971 Radios for the /6

wavey.gif Gustl
JeffBowlsby
The German price lists show radios available for the German market. What Barry means is that there were no factory-supplied radios for the USA cars, (except the M-453 Frankfurt and M460 Becker US radios for the 1970-only 914/6). USA 914 radios were dealer installed, and thats why there was wide variety of different 'original' radios in USA 914s.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bill D @ Aug 19 2006, 10:47 PM) *

My new to me late 73 2.0 has a Sapphire 14 town and country radio. According to Johnson's book only Blaupunkt radios came from the factory. The radio looks to good to be a dealer install. It still works. Anybody else have this radio?

Looks right on to me. Nice that it still works too!
Gustl
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 20 2006, 03:59 PM) *

The German price lists show radios available for the German market. What Barry means is that there were no factory-supplied radios for the USA cars, (except the M-453 Frankfurt and M460 Becker US radios for the 1970-only 914/6).

well, but this info is out from just one single optional stuff price list

how could we know that there were not more optional US radios possible from the factory?

idea.gif Gustl
Bill D
Thanks for the replies. I don't think this car is a concours candidate but I like the period look in the interior. I was thinking of maybe hiding an updated stereo under the dash or something. If I end up replacing the origional radio is there something that would not cobble up the dash that could be done?

Bill D
found the stereo install posts showing the front panel that surrounds the radio being removable. nice to be able to swich back to the origional radio.
edwardb33
My mid year 73 also came with this radio
914runnow
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 20 2006, 05:59 AM) *

The German price lists show radios available for the German market. What Barry means is that there were no factory-supplied radios for the USA cars, (except the M-453 Frankfurt and M460 Becker US radios for the 1970-only 914/6). USA 914 radios were dealer installed, and thats why there was wide variety of different 'original' radios in USA 914s.

agree.gif my one owner 75 has an 8 trck in it..
AND no hole for the mast in either fender..it is a winshield type..
Thatz why when dealers sent out their car's for installs at various
car stereo dealers / installers..(some did in house)
many times they got the mast on the wrong side!!!
BUT they had to install something or have see thru spkr holes..
and a coverplate in the dash..
Not very Sporty to go w/o..
sixerdon
QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 8 2006, 05:22 PM) *

Antenna in the windshield? Interesting. I've read that the 916's had them. Who was the mfr?
Don
914runnow
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 10 2006, 06:44 AM) *

Antenna in the windshield? Interesting. I've read that the 916's had them. Who was the mfr?
Don

Noperz kindah not in.......
One of those peel n stick olde school ones..from th 70's..
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 11 2006, 01:03 AM) *

Don

I had one of this type antennas on my '72, since I was too chicken to drill the fender. Worked pretty well around town too. The original intent was to put a regular Hirschman in the engine bay, with a hole cut in one of side engine grills for it. Saw this on a Chuck Stoddard 914-6 (it's name was "Gronk") and it was out of the way & he said it worked perfectly. Somehow never got around to doing it myself & the peel-n-stick antenna dried up & was removed.

When I really need the radio, I have some speaker wire soldered to a nail - plug it into the back of the radio, Yeah, I know it's crude, but it works OK & I'll NEVER bring myself to drill the fender! laugh.gif
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 11 2006, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 11 2006, 01:03 AM) *

Don

I had one of this type antennas on my '72, since I was too chicken to drill the fender. Worked pretty well around town too. The original intent was to put a regular Hirschman in the engine bay, with a hole cut in one of side engine grills for it. Saw this on a Chuck Stoddard 914-6 (it's name was "Gronk") and it was out of the way & he said it worked perfectly. Somehow never got around to doing it myself & the peel-n-stick antenna dried up & was removed.

When I really need the radio, I have some speaker wire soldered to a nail - plug it into the back of the radio, Yeah, I know it's crude, but it works OK & I'll NEVER bring myself to drill the fender! laugh.gif

Hmmmm 'Concour De Olde Timerz' on the 'Gronk'....
Name that short lived TV series???????
OH and Bonus point to name his wifes actress name????
Guess I am showing my hand on my age........ wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.