Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just picked up a 914 48 hrs ago... Best parts source?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stuie
I am Stuie from Texas... hello!

First post here guys and it's probably been asked a million times.(okay.. I think there are 1/2 mil posts in this general area)

I learned to drive a 914 when I was 14 in El Paso TX in 1984. It was my dad's (and he still has it although has done a full restoration about 10 years ago). About 15 years ago, my younger brother bought one and blew up the motor racing a mustang or something, I traded an Alpine stereo for it but never fixed that one. I should have...

This one is a '70/4. I have to admit, the shifting is not what I expected, but I am managing hitting the right gear 80% of the time. Will try and replace all of the bushings and see if that will help. The car seems like it was in good shape two years ago but, was a high school kids for the past two years so it's been neglected.

The FI has been replaced with a weber single which may need a rebuild kit. I dropped an optima Red Top in it today, I will be needing front wheel bearings immediately, I would like to drop in the thin later model door panels (I assume they will fit as these are kinda puffy).

THE MAIN QUESTION: Where is a good place to order parts from that has a good selection and are reputable? I have seen several online but prices are tops on some and selection is thin on others.

I need to pay VW prices as I have a lot of hobbies which all need attention! (vinatge British bikes, a Vespa project and occasional filmmaking) smash.gif

Click to view attachment

SECONDARY QUESTION: I need to replace the windshield. Any tips on how to do it without breaking anything?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

All best
Stu
McMark
http://www.pelicanparts.com
http://www.gprparts.com

Those two cover 90%, for the last 10% you'll have to ask one part at a time, depending on what project you're working on.

BTW, 914s aren't cheap in my experience. wink.gif
Trevorg7
welcome.png

T
So.Cal.914
welcome.png

He's right they are not cheap nor are they easy but their worth it. The more

work you can do yourself the cheaper it is. Check the classifieds here and

evilbay for parts, if there is no hurry you can save money.
Stuie
Right on!

Thanks for the links and the welcomes!

I do as much work myself that I can. I think sometimes I actually like working on stuff as much as I do driving/riding...

At the moment the car is drivable but, I do need to do the windshield asap to have a permanent surface to affix the insp. & registration to. A windshield came with the car, just a matter of fighting the nerves of possibly breaking something doing it... Have any of you guys replaced one before yourself?

Allan
Nice to meet ya!!!!

welcome.png wavey.gif
Joe Bob
Best to TALK to the sellers....I've found that once you develop a relationship with the vendors you can often negotiate prices and/or shipping.

Our classifieds can et you good deals as well.....
JPB
welcome.png

The cheapest way sometimes to get parts is to own a parts 914. Sometimes parts lists can be higher than a parts car itself. I know a fella who got SSHEs, 2L engine, good trany and alot more stuff from one car and payed less than 1K for the car. I purchased his engine for over half the price he got the car for and he sold the HE for 500$.

beer.gif
lotus_65
this company has been really good to me:
performance products/automotion

good luck!
markb
Dave @ GPR. 1 800 321-5432 Ext 502.
He's a 914 guy, and can probably get anything you need.
As far as the windshield, I think I've broken every one I've tried to remove. I just call a pro.
Don't forget to order the trim clips to have on hand when the new one goes in. They are one-use-only, and if you want to put the aluminum trim back on, they need to go on with the new windshield. Have them glue on the mirror, too. They seem to have the really good glue.
Oh, BTW, welcome.png
GWN7
hello and welcome

There are quite a few members in Texas. Where abouts are you. You might have some 914 neibours close by.

With GPR it is best to call them directly as the online catalogue dosen't always show what's available.
Stuie
Thanks again for the welcomes and replys!

Mark, you just saved me! I was going to go out and attempt the pull this morning but I am spare clipless so, I will order them before I remove the cracked winshield.

Thanks Bruce for the welcome... I am in Arlington, right between Dallas and Ft Worth.

Good to meet you guys!

Stu
Stuie
Question, I am ordering front wheel bearings and there are two choices:
Front wheel bearings (inner/outer)
and Front wheel bearings (inner/outer) 4 BOLT

Is 4 Bolt meaning stock 4 lug mag and not upgraded 911 5 lug?

Thanks
Stu
Eric_Shea
Best parts source is right here... your friends and new familay at the 914club.

welcome.png
Eric_Shea
To answer your question... you want 4-bolt.

There are 5-bolt 914-6's and they use 911 bearings inner and outer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.