Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hood hold down pins like on the race cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I have no locking mechanism for my engine lid and have seen (I am pretty sure I have seen this) in the past where people have use lock down pins to hold them down.

Mostly I see the pins on racer cars and mustangs and such. They are the type with the pin that goes throught the stud that goes through the trunk/hood/or engine lid.

Anyone have anidea where to get, and how to install? Any alternitive ideas? Was my description clear as mud?

Back to hematology.........
So.Cal.914
If there was no place to mount the pin we would add a gusset to the corner

(under hood) and mount the pin there. Used to get them at a speed shop.
URY914
Try a race car suppplier like Truesports, Pegasus, etc

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/
http://www.essexparts.com/index.shtml
http://www.racerwholesale.com/index.php
jonwatts
I like the ones they used on the GT car engine lids. They had a catch that slid over the pin to capture it. I think there were pictures from the pbase site.

Am I helping?

Jeroen
you're local race shop should have quite a choice of hood pins

if you can't find anything local, Pegasus usually has what your looking for (or some other online race shop)
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/

I'm leaning toward Dsuz sliders
These slide over a small barrel, they're a lot smaller and more subtle than regular hood pins
IPB Image

Pip pins are also nice!
Eric_Shea
Got mine years ago at Pegasus. Might want to try Summit as well.
TimT
These ones are flippin sweet
Dr Evil
Wow, more options than I expected! Awsome! Thanks. I like the Dzus type. I am planning on putting them onto where the little rubber pads are now fo rthe engine lid. I am looking for the cleanest, easiest solution.

Thanks fellers.
jonwatts
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Aug 20 2006, 02:36 PM) *

I'm leaning toward Dsuz sliders
These slide over a small barrel, they're a lot smaller and more subtle than regular hood pins
IPB Image

Pip pins are also nice!

Yeah, like those.
Jeroen
QUOTE(TimT @ Aug 20 2006, 11:42 PM) *

yeah, they are
if only they were a little bit cheaper (insert CSOB smiley)

keep in mind he's looking for something to hold his engine lid
URY914
These are by Moroso on my front trunk...

Dr Evil
Oh, thats how they go on. I was thinking of mounting the plate vertically on the piece that the rubber nubs sit atop and mounting t he clip part facong down vertically. I guess I would then have problems unlocking them, huh? blink.gif
Dr Evil
For the sites you guys posted, what is it called that I am searching for?

I think the PIP type would be the easiest to adapt next to the original pin idea.
Jeroen
the ones pictures are called "Dzus 1500"
check the paragon site > hardware > quick release fastners
Dr Evil
Cool, thanks. I searched Dzus which turned up the 1500 already. Very inexpensive, but not sure if it will be an easy placement. Pins, or PIPs may be the ticket. I need to search and measure.

"quick release fasteners"
ws91420
Local Hot rod shop or drag car buildrs should have them in stock also
Also some FLAPS carry the big pin type that you think of for muscle cars
iamchappy
Im using the Moroso ones on my engine lid, I didnt like the pointed end so I filed mine
flat.
Dr Evil
I am in an autoparts desert out here. I wonder if there are anyspeed shops. No hurry, it doesnt even run yet. dry.gif

Did you get your shift rod together?
JPB
Hey local brother. I think what you are looking for are "hood pins". They are the standard hood safety pin and clevis type. The above Pegasus site has them under this heading. Hope ya find them and hope to see ya at the ECC.

beer.gif Gluck
alpha434
Search EBAY for "hood pins." Ricers love that crap, so there is a TON of it for cheap. I just bought four for my f/g rear trunk for 4 bucks. I've also seen KEY locking ones for cheap too on ebay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.