Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tranny issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Always Looking
Hi All,

I was under the car today trying to chase a tranny leak - looks like the speedo angel drive and the o-ring under the selector housing are the culprits. (any advice on the speedo angle drive?)

The bigger problem, though, is that I cannot select 4th!!! I have narrowed the problem down to an internal one unfortunately (no interference along the external shaft). While under the car, I noticed that there were no gaskets between the main housing and the intermediate plate. The PO did lots of funky things (like mounting the engine bar backwards so the shift linkage hit it at every shift and installing the wrong starter and ...). Did he "work" on the tranny and forget to reinstall any gaskets here? It does not seap oil, but Chiltons makes a big point about measuring and counting the gaskets for future reference. Otherwise, the tranny is a little rough - slow into first, slow into second, third OK, fifth fine but pops out under deceleration. All this I can and have lived with, but no 4th is getting annoying.

I am willing to tear into the tranny myself as I have a habit of getting in too deep, but thought some friendly advice might save me a headache or two (Why is Dr. Evil on East Coast now - Damn). If any other tranny gurus are around, I can supply some mean BBQ, COLD Beer!, and cash for some help.

Dan

Dr Evil
If you do a search for speedo drive you should find a few fairly reacent posts on this very subject. It is common.
Good luck biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.