Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you use 911 engine mounts for the tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
I have heard that you can do this by stretching the holes. The flanges on the mount look a little wimpy to do this. Anyone done it with a big motor?

The 911 sits on top of a hole getting supported all the way around. This would only be supported by the bolts and washers. Not sure I'm comfortable with it.
Aaron Cox
911 sport mounts are used all the time...

you are better served by weltmeister or wevo pieces
turboman808
yes I even have a 911 sports mounts laying around the house. The wevo are better though.
IronHillRestorations
The easiest way to make them fit is just squeeze the brackets in a little. You've only got to get a 1/4", and I just take a monster HD C clamp and pinch them together.

I've heard good things about the WEVO's, but no first hand experience.
SirAndy
i'm currently running the 911 sport mounts. i did *not* have to tinker with the mounting holes, but your milage may vary ...

they are holding up very well so far, i just had the engine out the other day and there was no deformation or any kind of other obvious stress symptoms on the mounts ...

and yes, agree.gif the WEVO mounts are certainly nicer still ...
smile.gif Andy
GeorgeRud
Unless money is tight, get the WEVO mounts. They fit perfectly and the car never shifted as well.
rickyhgarcia
Somewhere I read the 911 engine mounts were designed for an engine resting on them...and not for a transmission hanging off of them. Based on this bit of info I thought using the 911 engine mounts was not the right choice.

Therefore, I bought a set Wevo´s from the club store...which are specifically designed for a hanging 914 transmission.
Trekkor
I use 911 sport's all around and did not need to modify or feel bad about it wink.gif

KT
PRS914-6
Well, it sounds like everyone is having pretty good luck with the sport mounts. Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I bought a roller with no original mounts to compare with. Can someone provide the thickness of the metal flange area of the OEM mount area that bolts to the car? I would like to compare it to the 911 mount thickness before I make a final decision.

Off the Wevo site:
NOTE; A 914 transmission mount version will be available in April 2005. The 914 hole spacing is close – but not the same as the 911 and the WEVO SS Engine Mount body should not be slotted.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Aug 20 2006, 08:03 PM) *

Somewhere I read the 911 engine mounts were designed for an engine resting on them...and not for a transmission hanging off of them. Based on this bit of info I thought using the 911 engine mounts was not the right choice.

i'm no 911 expert but doesn't the 911 engine mount bar *hang* off the mounts, just like a 914 transmission ...
confused24.gif Andy
PRS914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2006, 09:31 PM) *

i'm no 911 expert but doesn't the 911 engine mount bar *hang* off the mounts, just like a 914 transmission ...
confused24.gif Andy

Andy, Yep, same way.

The difference is like I said above, the mount sits in a hole so the mount is supported all the way around instead of hanging off 2 bolts and why I want to know the thickness of the metal....
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Aug 20 2006, 10:07 PM) *

The difference is like I said above, the mount sits in a hole so the mount is supported all the way around instead of hanging off 2 bolts and why I want to know the thickness of the metal....

yes, i understood that part. biggrin.gif

i'm nowhere near my car right now and i already dropped off my box of 911 sport mounts for the RJ mount with mark, so i can't take a measurement for you right now ...

i did check them mounts when we put the engine back in and they did not looked warped or deformed ...

a simple solution would be to add a "brace" to the mount very much similar to what you machined for your shifter (the thing with the lip for the boot) ...
just make a flat piece of metal with a flanged edge for stability and add it under the 911 mount to give it support.

should be easy for you to make ...
smile.gif Andy
drive-ability
I am using them with my V8 and 930 transmission. I haven't had any issues even hammering the throttle. I will say with my V8 I tried to use them on the engine cross-brace and they pulled right out in minutes on the road.
rickyhgarcia
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2006, 08:31 PM) *

confused24.gif Andy

OOpps...I guess you should not believe everything you read.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.