Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct rocker/ valance paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
krazykonrad
What's the correct paint for rockers/ valances? Is a black semi-gloss from the hardware store OK?
Thanks,
Konrad 72/4
tod914
Alot of people go with the Wurth Satin black or Wurth Semi-gloss (same thing). I believe certian years if not all had a texturery type finish... Not sure how you would achieve that. I just went with powder coating for mine. Very happy with the results. Maybe someone else can chime in or maybe post in the Garage and you'll certianlly get alot more replies there.

Good luck..
Porsche Rescue
I think Wurth Rocker Schutz is the product for getting the texture right. Takes a special (not too expensive) gun to spray it. The trick is getting the texture right (and learning what "right" is).
boxstr
Previous thread on this same subject and the color of choice was Satin Black, with the inside painted a gray primer.
Just did mine. Looks great. No texture, not all of them that I have seen had texture.
CCL
tod914
QUOTE(boxstr @ Aug 21 2006, 06:16 PM) *

No texture, not all of them that I have seen had texture.
CCL

Craig, is it specific to years or no??

Pat Garvey
Apparently, early cars were merely painted satin black - rockers & F&R valences.

Mid year cars (72 1/2 -74) 914's were USUALLY pre-sprayed with 3M Body Shutz (Wurth would work also) prior to painting a satin black.

The key to using shutz is to use the special spray gun available & low air pressure (30-35 psi). Else you get a stippled effect. Either is paintable though, quite frankly, it's unneccessary & will just chip anyway from road debris.

The benefit of the shutz method is that, since it's rubberized, you can throw rocks at it all day & it just bounces them back.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.