Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: have this week to do an engine swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
going in...
type47
today after work...
bob174
I like that cannon you have sticking out the back...
Trekkor
If you keep your head in the game you can do it easily in an afternoon.

KT
type47
good morning
type47
that's all for today, gotta go to work...
JmuRiz
Good luck Jim, I wish I could tell you some tips buy (GASP!) I haven't even done an engine drop on my car. It'll be cool to see/hear it in a month at the meet!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(bob174 @ Aug 20 2006, 06:55 PM) *

I like that cannon you have sticking out the back...

With a silencer. The competition dosen't have a chance.

ptravnic
A few of us are doing that this coming w'end. Already dropped the engine. Now need to remove the FI & sheet metal & swap heads... Should be able to get it all ironed out and back on the road by Sat night. Fingers crossed.

Definitely post any hiccups or those nearly averted as I may be overlooking something simple when I get my hands dirty this w'end.

-pt
type47
couldn't do much today as a longstanding house project took some time, had to pick up daughters car from service, go to costco. i did pressure clean the engine bay.
type47
separated the engine and tranny, took it around to the work-basement room. brought the tranny to go in around. ready to take engine back too. had to stop to go to work.
ptravnic
popcorn[1].gif
bd1308
SWEET exhaust

what is it? I've seen it before. I want some MACHO sound.
type47
not sure of brand, was on the car when i bought it. tip is a super-trapp (?). headers look like they were made to be equal length. header tubes bolt onto stubs, stubs bolted onto heads.
JmuRiz
Engine bay is looking good all cleaned up...speaking of, that Supertrap looks a little rough, is is rusted or just dirty, might be a high-temp paint candidate. Good luck getting the new motor in there.
type47
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 23 2006, 06:47 AM) *

Engine bay is looking good all cleaned up...speaking of, that Supertrap looks a little rough, is is rusted or just dirty, might be a high-temp paint candidate. Good luck getting the new motor in there.

it's not as clean as the pix but 100% cleaner than before. that motor is going into storage w/headers attached (somehow, looks like alot of problems to separate them from the motor.) maybe the next project if i can adapt an SDS to it.

today i worked on the release distance (see other thread), ran wiring for the FI fuel pump. tomorrow, work on mounting pump and gas lines and attending to hoses under fuel tank for FI and removal of fuel pump for the carbs (on the old engine) think about the release throw distance and if i want to change it. install drivetrain. turn key.... driving.gif or confused24.gif
Kerrys914
Looking good. Looks like you'll be able to give some pointers as you hold a drink in your hand at the ECC...
type47
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Aug 24 2006, 12:14 PM) *

Looking good. Looks like you'll be able to give some pointers as you hold a drink in your hand at the ECC...

yep, and it will be quart sized drinks (notice the plural)

this will satisfy my "urge to tinker" for a long time. well, at least until i have some money to start the next project. had to install all the fuel lines, fuel pump, remove carb pump, re & re gas tank for fuel hoses for FI. had a foul up that hopefully you will laugh with me not at me. one of the grommets for a hose from the brake reservoir had come out of the hole so i just had to put it straight. pushed the grommet and proceeded to push the brake hose out of the master cylinder. at least the reservoir didn't hold too much fluid and i was going to do the flush anyway since the car is on stands. engine is under the car and on the way up. where's the advil?
Aaron Cox
eurorace header sans ER exhaust.....
JmuRiz
Jim, any update on the swap, get it all straight?
type47
engine was in and car was off of jackstands by sundown fri. early sat morning, i put the 30W ND oil in and cranked to build up oil pressure. after about 25 sec (seemed like 25 minutes) OP registered on gauge and dash light went out. then i went to the club tech session at IMA but was so tired that i left early. i noticed that when i turned the key, i didn't hear the 2-3 second fuel pump running, so the next day i verified wiring and verified pump running by continuity checks and direct wiring the pump to +12V at battery. i had another thread about the fuse for the pump circuit, the fuse located on the relay board for thoughts on that. had to work sun and go back to real job/work on mon and tues so wed after work, i put the spark plugs in and cranked to start just wanting to see if i got ignition and got a couple of sputters but stopped there as i didn't want to run for break-in as there is no good place to drive a 5 pm in the DC area and i didn't want to sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic trying to break-in an engine. trying to imagine no-start faults, not that there is a no-start condition now, but i did get out a spare 2L dizzy and cleaned it up getting ready to swap. i think i have checked "everything" as i installed all the systems but the one thing i didn't really check is the pertronix in the dizzy, that's why i'm cleaning and prepping the spare dizzy as i watch the TV. ernesto is here fri pm and lingering probably sat am. wonder if the 356 gathering at reston is still on? i want to stop by there, maybe around 11, then i'll go back to work on the car. first thing on list is to verify fuel pressure, advance the timing a little off TDC, cross fingers and try for ignition again.
JmuRiz
Best of luck, if you run out of ideas, I'd suggest calling up norustscott and have him take a gander. I hope the 356 event is rained out, I'm out of town this next week and hope for a reschedule I can attend biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.