Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WARNING!-Bosch Rebuilt Alternators!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum
3d914
I've been fighting the last week trying to resolve a alternator light that wouldn't go out - even after installing a rebuilt alternator, new regulator, and checking/cleaning all connections.

The source of the problem was only found after trying three Bosch AL75X Rebuilt Alternators. Based on BAP Auto, this is the Bosch replacement alternator for the 914/2.0.

The problem is with the design of the black cover that fits on the rear of the alternator to cool it, and the recent rebuilt alternators. This cover does not come with the rebuilt, and must be removed from the core alternator and installed on the rebuilt - hence the problem.

The three-wire connector that caries DF, D+, & D- to the relay board is in one bundle, and the B+ wire that goes to the starter solenoid is a single separate wire. The AL75X has two studs coming out of the back of the alternator. One stud is taller than the other to permit connection of the B+ red wire.

IPB Image

Both studs on the AL75X have a large washer with an index tab, than a small washer, then the nut. The smaller stud (opposite the post for the B+ wire) is positioned such that the large washer will short against the cover when is is screwed down with the three small nuts.

This is the source of the problem, and will not be apparent unless you check continuity between the red (B+) wire and the alternator case as you assemble the cover. The flat on the inside of the cover will hit the edge of the large washer.

IPB Image

The solution is to 1) remove the large washer, or 2) snip part of the washer off - opposite the indexing tab.

IPB Image

Then when the washer is installed and the cover in position, it will not short against the washer.

IPB Image

It is suggested that once the cover is installed, that you check the red (B+) wire for continuity to the silver body of the alternator. There should be none.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Enjoy!
GWN7
Good article. Thanks for the heads up. smilie_pokal.gif
Howard
Great! You will save someone a lot of grief.
McMark
I ran into a similar problem and I took the more neanderthal method of beating the cover so that there was no more contact. smash.gif
Jeroen
Great article! Remind me to move it to the "classic threads" once everyone is finished making comments

cheers,

Jeroen
cnavarro
I found that out too the hard way when I was getting ready to power up my car for the first time in two years after a full restoration and new engine, etc. SPARK! i ended up taking off the cover and putting a plastic/rubber vacuum fitting cover on the stud and bolted it all back together. I wasn't in the mood to start modding the cover...

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
rhodyguy
i will print this one and put it in the 914 3 ring binder. great job, well written, good pictures.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.