Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Success at Road America today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
Just got back from Elkhart Lake, WI and have to say what a great day we had out there. The weather was a perfect blue sky & 78 degrees. I helped Kevin Roush of GAS Motorsports pit his new 2006 997 cup car in the ALMS GT3 Cup Car Challenge sponsered by Michelin. We had 3 997's and a 996 to prepare for the race which was held at 12:15 this afternoon. Roush qualified 4th on the grid and when the race began he deftly moved into 2nd position before turn 1! About half way around the first lap we heard he had moved into the lead where he stayed until the end....winning the whole shooting match! smilie_pokal.gif I was glad to be apart of his team. Here are a few pics. Kevin is the little guy in the group picture...(of course I had to take the pic...so I'm not in it)ph34r.gif

Also, this post does have 914 content...as I drove my LS6 powered car to the event and back without any problems whatsoever (road trip across the entire state of Wisconsin....600 miles) laugh.gif (HAVING BIG TROUBLE WITH PICS TODAY!)
lotus_65
the crew
Click to view attachment
bill told me the names, but i forgot immediatly smoke.gif
Click to view attachment
2 of the 4 cars
Click to view attachment
the winner was like the white one, but without the yellow.
GeorgeRud
Absolutely wonderful day at RA today. The Porsche race was neat, the Speed Challange cars put on a great show, and the American LeMans Series cars were very slick.

For what it's worth, the AUDI turbodiesels were perfect, and absolutely were the class of the field (also earily quiet). Porsche and Penske have their work cut out for them.
T H O M A S
nathan swarzbaugh finished 2nd piratenanner.gif
wbergtho
The R-10's were awesome and eerily quiet as you say. They were alarmingly fast ..but anticlimatically quiet. What a sight to see!
wbergtho
Before...and after pics of Ben McCrackin's 996 GT3 Cup car. He got punted off the course from someone. The repair guy was working the pits with me and he says his bodyshop bill to pull, repair & paint to perfection would involve 400 man hours and about $50K. OUCH! You gotta have some cake for this sport...(wish I had some myself).
gms
What a great day for a race! beautiful weather and the Spyders didn't break
The sound of the Audi engine is eerie!
gms
drunk.gif
wbergtho
Hey Gms,

Can you post a pic of the winning Audi R-10? My camera battery went out early in the day.

Thanks,

Bill
MattR
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Aug 21 2006, 04:37 PM) *

Before...and after pics of Ben McCrackin's 996 GT3 Cup car. He got punted off the course from someone. The repair guy was working the pits with me and he says his bodyshop bill to pull, repair & paint to perfection would involve 400 man hours and about $50K. OUCH! You gotta have some cake for this sport...(wish I had some myself).

If you need contact information, I know the guy who repairs GT3 Cup cars in southern california. I'm sure Brad knows him too...

Good thing he hit front first. I wouldnt want to see the bill from Motorsports if he hit the other end.
MattR
BTW, congrats on the success at the race. I believe you participated in an IMSA event though. ALMS doesnt run cup cars, but it was at an ALMS event. Kinda complicated, but IMSA is an international group. Theres a carrera cup challenge in germany, japan, south america, etc.
wbergtho
Hey Matt,

Yeah...your right...It was an ALMS event but more properly an IMSA GT3 Cup car race. The guy that is fixing it works out of Orange County and I have already forgot his name. He's a tall thin 40'sh guy with a crew cut. He's the tall guy on the right in the group shot. Look familiar? I saw the rear end work he did on Roush's winning GT3. It had the whole back wiped off...needed a new motor too...OUCH!
MattR
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Aug 22 2006, 07:52 PM) *

Hey Matt,

Yeah...your right...It was an ALMS event but more properly an IMSA GT3 Cup car race. The guy that is fixing it works out of Orange County and I have already forgot his name. He's a tall thin 40'sh guy with a crew cut. He's the tall guy on the right in the group shot. Look familiar? I saw the rear end work he did on Roush's winning GT3. It had the whole back wiped off...needed a new motor too...OUCH!

Oh shit, thats him. I didnt even recognize him in the picture! I cant remember his name off the top of my head, but I've seen his work (we had a cup car go off at turn 4 at big willow). Looks like its in good hands.

Did you see Nathan Shwartzbourg that weekend? I think he is driving for GAS, but I could have it wrong.
gms
drunk.gif
wbergtho
Yes, I saw Nathan. I believe he wound up second. Not too shabby! I don't think he drives for GAS though.
wbergtho
Kevin Roush's winning 997 GT3 Cup car.
wbergtho
oops...this is the winning car #12
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.