Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel fitment for fender flared 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
project-914
ok so the dilemma is that I'm getting the 914 fender flares (the ones that everyone has that just tack onto each fender...I have no idea what wheels to get...I was looking at fuchs or replicas...I want to get the right offset with the right width because I know that it matters...also, I don't want to run a gigantic wheels spacer because of hub-wear issues...so is there some kind of chart that says what offsets go with what wheel sizes...show me the light!!!

also are fuchs replicas good wheels?...because I'm kinda cheap and don't care for authentic wheels...but if the replicas would break say...on a track (it will be driven hard) then I would definitely go for the stronger ones...insight please

thanks
Root_Werks
So, are you getting the M471/914-6GT flares? If so, then you can go up to 8" rims in the front pretty easy. I have even seen a set of 9's under stock 7" flares. I have 8" fuchs under my 914 with 1/2" spacers running 225/50/16's.

Aaron Cox
8's up front, 9's in rear...(9" fuchs are stupid money)

or 8's all around with a 1" spacer or so in rear....
propricer
If you're going to track the car, you might consider two sets of wheels ... a set of 7 inch cookie cutters with cantilver 9's as well as a set of 7's and 8's for the street - with spacers. 9's are just too expensive !!!
project-914
heck yeah man that's freaking hott...that's the look ftw!...how about these...

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/specials/porsche.shtml

those fuchs replicas at the top...I may be able to get 8" all around if they offer it

only thing is...am I going to have issues with those wheels....like...when they say replica...do they live up to the strength?
project-914
ok so it's a no go on the 9" fuchs...but what's the best combo...do I want one inch wider in the back usually...

like...will having 8" all around give me oversteer or anything

also, I can't do 2 sets of wheels since I'm trying to build this as cheaply as possible
Aaron Cox
contact john "vegasracer"

he has 16x8's all around, with a little spacer in the back....
Mueller
QUOTE(project-914 @ Aug 21 2006, 09:28 AM) *

ok so it's a no go on the 9" fuchs...but what's the best combo...do I want one inch wider in the back usually...

Like Ed mentioned above, there are plenty of guys running the same size front and back with no ill effects, that is why one uses suspension parts that are adjustable (swaybars, shocks and spring rates)

like...will having 8" all around give me oversteer or anything

see above....

also, I can't do 2 sets of wheels since I'm trying to build this as cheaply as possible

Joe Ricard
Well for track wheels I just can't help but mention Diamond Racing.
You can them in 16lb versions 15 x 8

I also have 2 right now with Hoosiers on them.
Mueller
QUOTE(project-914 @ Aug 21 2006, 09:23 AM) *

heck yeah man that's freaking hott...that's the look ftw!...how about these...

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/specials/porsche.shtml

those fuchs replicas at the top...I may be able to get 8" all around if they offer it

only thing is...am I going to have issues with those wheels....like...when they say replica...do they live up to the strength?

for the same price or possibly a tad bit more, you can get the real deal.....

street tires or racing tires? for street tires I think you'd be okay since you won't be stressing them too much with that size rim (a 205 to a 225 is an ideal size for a 7" rim)....
Root_Werks
I have never seen it personally, but have heard that some of the replica fuchs will break, not bend like factory ones do. Thus leading to trouble if a rim breaks under hard driving. ohmy.gif

The rims I have started life as factory 16x6's, you can only use the 6" rims because of the lip they have. The centers were cut out and made to fit German BBS rings or halves. Then you can build any rim you like. I have 16x8's with 3" offset in front and 16x9's in the rear with a 4" offset. With stock 7 and 9 inch flares, I still needed to space the wheels out just a little.

Building my rims cost around $500 a rim after finding and buying 16x6's x 4, having the centers cut out and then buying the rings x8. Spendy, but I can now make them 17's later on if I want or change the offset anytime I want.
Aaron Cox
replicas = cast. heavier and prone to cracking/breaking
OE fuchs = forged. lighter and bend vs break
project-914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 21 2006, 10:57 AM) *

Well for track wheels I just can't help but mention Diamond Racing.
You can them in 16lb versions 15 x 8

I also have 2 right now with Hoosiers on them.

I like the thought of those wheels...strong, cheap, and light weight

I read up on the site what backspacing is but I'm still like wtf...

so if I were to do the 7" & 9" flares and 8" wheels all the way around with a 5x130mm bolt pattern (goes with the 5-lug swap) what "backspace" goes with that
Joe Ricard
I have had good luck with 4.5" backspacing. fitting 225/50-15 Hoosiers under the GT flares with plenty of room on each side of tire. Pretty much equal / centered up in the wheel well.
Some have been able to use a 5" back space. Yup this will work with a 225/50-15 street tire. but whole assembly sits closer to the inner fender well.

I have seen a couple 911's with these wheels on them. I think they look cool
So you can get them in virtually any bolt pattern and backspace. They are custom made to what you want
project-914
could I do 4.5" backspacing in the back AND the front with no issues...meaning I order four of the same wheel?

I was thinking of doing the 4 16x8's with 4.5" backspacing with 235's or even 245's

you think that'd work?
Mueller
QUOTE(project-914 @ Aug 21 2006, 12:35 PM) *

could I do 4.5" backspacing in the back AND the front with no issues...meaning I order four of the same wheel?

I was thinking of doing the 4 16x8's with 4.5" backspacing with 235's or even 245's

you think that'd work?

I know the 245s work for sure on all 4 corners, I'm getting 245/40/17's on 8's this week (4 lug setup)

the track (distance from hub face to hub face) is 1" wider per side in the rear on a 914, so on my car I am running 1" spacers on the front to make them equal (currently with 17x7 and 205's)
project-914
I think I'm just going to order two of the 4 wheels and put them on the front first and then the back and if I have fitment issues with either I can order 2 more of the same or different ones depending on what it needs...no matter what it's going to be a killer setup biggrin.gif
RSWannabe
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 21 2006, 09:09 AM) *

I have never seen it personally, but have heard that some of the replica fuchs will break, not bend like factory ones do. Thus leading to trouble if a rim breaks under hard driving. ohmy.gif

The rims I have started life as factory 16x6's, you can only use the 6" rims because of the lip they have. The centers were cut out and made to fit German BBS rings or halves. Then you can build any rim you like. I have 16x8's with 3" offset in front and 16x9's in the rear with a 4" offset. With stock 7 and 9 inch flares, I still needed to space the wheels out just a little.

Building my rims cost around $500 a rim after finding and buying 16x6's x 4, having the centers cut out and then buying the rings x8. Spendy, but I can now make them 17's later on if I want or change the offset anytime I want.

I have similar Fuch/BBS wheels I want to use on my GT flared 914. What size BBS wheel halves are you using to make your 8's and 9's? Inner halves, outer halves? Mine are currently set up at 16 x 10's (4" inch inners and 6" out halves) and I'm trying to figure out if I only have to change the outers, or both the inners and outers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brooke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.