Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I thought you guys would enjoy these
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I was called in to do a recording session last week. The studio was next to a very small machine shop in north Denver. While on break, I saw a guy outside looking over what appeared to be a really small piston/rod assembly. Turns out he is in a club where they build exact replicas of vintage Offenhauser motors - but at quarter scale. He emailed me the attached pictures. They run on alchohol and litterally every piece is hand made. Pretty amaizing stuff.
He said one of the club members also built a quarter scale dyno - but that doesn't make sense to me - wouldn't measuring the HP be irrelevant to the size of the dyno?

Cool stuff.
Scott S
Scott S
URY914
Did you hear them running?
Scott S
#4 - for scale.....
ptravnic
The nay sayers will say "why?".

Those that live life will say "why not?".

I appreciate their passion.

-pt
URY914
What kind of RPM they running? 9000+? biggrin.gif
Scott S
I honestly spoke to the guy for 5 minutes. He was just making parts - he emailed these pics over the weekend. He did say that one guys creation was pulling close to 40hp.
I just marvel at the time and precision.

Can you imagine tring to mill a quarter scale 914 block as a hobby?
Howard
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 21 2006, 10:14 AM) *

The nay sayers will say "why?".

Those that live life will say "why not?".

I appreciate their passion.

-pt

agree.gif
You can't explain it to someone who doesn't get it.....

Great post and pix.
jhadler
I don't knwo if it's still there, but at DIA (Denver Internation Airport), on the bridge between the main terminat and concourse A, there's an exhibit of miniature scale engines of all manner and kind. 24 cylinder radial motors, V8's, I4's, etc. All of them small enough to pick up with one hand... Amazing work, especially the fully functional 24 cylinder radial aircraft engine. Too cool!!

-Josh2
Mueller
Build your own Offy motor !!!!

I've had these plans for about 5 years or so...still haven't made a darn thing for it, hahahha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.