Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sticky throttle cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
Yesterday I got my Subaru engine fired up for the first time (see my progress thread for a video) and I proceeded to hook up the throttle cable to the pedal. I'm using a brand new Terry throttle cable which is connected to the Subaru throttle cable. Both cables have very little friction and are in new condition. However, when I push down the pedal it doesn't come back up fast enough (or somtimes at all).

My first idea was to add more throttle return spring. I added the two springs that were on my 1.7 engine and it helped a little, though not quite enough. My concern is that there might be something going on in the car portion of the tube or at the pedal itself.

When I pushed the throttle cable through the tube in the car initially, there was some resistance and a little rusty powder on the end of the cable. So I'm sure the tube is partially rusted inside, at least at one spot. Will that make a huge difference?

So what I'm looking for is some suggestions on where to look. Does the throttle pedal itself tend to stick or is it the tube? Would it help if I found a piece of teflon sleeve to line the car's metal tube with?

-Tony
Aaron Cox
pull the cable, and run something thru there to see if something is stuck...

BTW, no sharp bends or anything right?
Kerrys914
From my experience with my SIX conversion;
- Check to make sure the throttle cable is wrapped around the clutch cable (right next to the throttle connection to the pedal cluster)
- Check the exit angle of the cable from the firewall. You don't want to bend right after the metal tube.

Not sure how the cable is routed on a subi conversion? Similar to a SIX conversion???

Cheers
TonyAKAVW
Nope, no sharp bends, etc.

Once I got the cable through it didn't feel like anything was restricting it. I wonder if its because there's no return spring on the pedal.

-Tony
John
Pull the pedal off of the actuating rod ball,

Apply some lubricant to the actuating rod ball and rubber pedal socket.

This worked for me. I had a similar problem and traced it to the pedal itself.

Ever since doing this I have had no issues.

Good luck.
bondo
I had a similar problem on the purple car I briefly had. It would move freely when installing it or moving it with little tension on it. A soon as it was attached to a load (fighting the return spring) it would get very hadr to push the pedal down, and it would sometimes stick. My theory was that where the cable housing in the tunnel bends, the cable had sawn a groove which was starting to cause a high friction point. I believe the OEM throttle cables have a plastic liner through the tunnel that should fix the problem.
Crazyhippy
The scooby return spring is more than strong enough on mine...

I'd look into the clutch cable wrap too... start the car, step on the clutch, do the rpm's go ape$hit???

BJH
TonyAKAVW
I haven't tried to start the car with the pedal hooked up. I'm sure the RPMs would go nuts, because with the car off, it doesn't spring back. I'm going to try the lubing of the pedal parts as well as a plastic sleeve for the cable. Those two things ought to help enough.

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
Does anyone know for certain if the OEM style acclerator cables have the plastic sheathing that goes into the tube of the center tunnel? If they do I would rather buy one of those than try to get some added sleeving to somehow stick.

-Tony
John
The GEMO cable that is sold as stock does have the sheath. The terry cable does not, but I like the smoothness of the terry cable better (I like the quality better as well).

just my $0.02.

P.S.

I would try lubing the throttle pedal ball socket first, as I had the same symptom as you describe.
swl
Had the same problem with my cable. When just sitting there it moved absolutely free. Hooked it up and it bound. Lubed it - worked well. I know there are those that don't like lubing the cable (attracts dirt) but it did seem to point out the problem. My theory is that as soon as you put a bend in the sheath the inner cable starts rubbing against the inside of the sheath. If it is rusty in there it binds.
John
Is this still a problem?

What finally resolved the sticky issue?
TonyAKAVW
Not a problem. I did three things to fix it. First I unwrapped the cable. When I installed it I inadvertently wrapped it around the clutch cable. That helped but didn't solve it. The carpet seemed to be as big of an issue, it was keeping the pedal from returning easily. Last thing I did was lubricate thetwo ball cup bushings. Now its fine.

-Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.