Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gopack
I have a set of fuchs that I picked up on the Samba a while back, and I eventually need to get them cleaned up and looking pretty. Is there a way to tell if they are black anodized or painted? Were all black fuchs annodized? I need to know , so I know how to strip them down to the aluminum.

Also on a related topic, powercoating is OK for wheels , right? Or is it easier/cheaper/better to go with black wheel paint. the desired outcome is black centers with pollished rims.

TIA for the help!
Root_Werks
You have options, Porsche sells (I think they still do) the can's of "Fuch black" paint. Satin black is a 98% match to it.

I have seen them painted and anodized from what looks like the factory.

Powdercoating rocks for fuchs, do it if you have the resources.

I have spot painted center caps satin black before and they look spot on to the factory finish.

gopack
paint over the FUGLY half worn out coating (I beleive it is annodized, based upon the thinness of the color), or what prep work is needed? also, WHO's satin black, rattle can i presume, special wheel paint?
elmonte
Here's a wheel i just finished. Eastwood wheel paint (satin black) for the centers and Krylon semi-flat for the cap.A little difference between the two, more gloss w/ the krylon semi flat.
Root_Werks
Yup, you don't need to remove the original anodizing. Just clean things up and paint. Just rattle can wheel paint.

That is a great picture. You can see the difference bewteen a satin finish and semi-gloss finish.
kenikh
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 21 2006, 12:45 PM) *

Yup, you don't need to remove the original anodizing. Just clean things up and paint. Just rattle can wheel paint.

That is a great picture. You can see the difference bewteen a satin finish and semi-gloss finish.

What looks gorgeous on these wheels is to bead balst them, then use a matte clear over them. You can then use the black paint of your choice (optional).

Scoth Brite also creates a beautiful faux RSR look that will knock your socks off. Bead blast them clean then use the scotch brite in one direction to create the effect.
Aaron Cox
polished lips and paddles with satin background...

al reed did mine. see my blog.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.