Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shaving
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
mudfoot76
I recently picked up a set of factory 2.0L Fuchs (not repros). 15 x 5.5 as far as I can tell, they don't look like they've been stretched or anything.

I'm new to all this racing/track stuff, but I do want to put track tires on these new rims and save my others just for the street. I've been searching and reading all the posts about tires, and it looks like Falken Azenis rt615 for me. Edgeracing has them for $74/tire, which seems like a pretty good deal. My street tires are 205-60/15, but on custom 15x6 rims. Is 205 too wide for the 5.5? Should I go for 195, and if so what sidewall height is good in your opinions?

A local person here was trying to convince me to go to DOT R compound, either Toyo Proxes RA1 or Yokohama Advan A032R, but that I'd also have to get those "shaved down to 4/32 tread depth" in order to make them last longer confused24.gif

Since I am fairly new to all this other stuff, I am feeling overwhelmed by all the choices. My car has been lowered a little, and when I'm on track with the street tires, I do occasionally hear a little rubbing if an instructor is in my passenger seat.

I don't want to be spending a fortune, but since these will be for track only I want to get better tires. So, in Your humble opinions, is it better to buy the Azenis or DOT R, and should I bother to have the treads shaved?

Thanks!
jhadler
Welcome to the paddock, now you're really in trouble... smile.gif

Okay, let's address a couple things.

One: The Falken's are a great street tire, but if you're preserving a set of wheels and tires JUST for the track, then they're not he right tire. The Flaken is really fun for street use, and for the occasional autox. But unless Flaken has significantly changed their tire compounds, they aren't very good for track days. The tires just don't stand up to the heat very well at all. And this means poorer performance, and shorter life.

If you really want a street tire, got for something like the BFG. It's not as cheap, but will perform better, and possibly last longer as well.

As for tire size? Unless you plan on running really big tracks, a 205/50-15 will be a much more rewarding tire choice. The shorter sidewall will really improve the handling of the car. And yes, a 205/50-15 will fit under the fenders of most cars on 5.5" Fuchs. I said _most_ cars, as not all 914s are built the same...

As for shving DOT R tires? Well... If you plan on long days at the track, shaving helps. If you plan on short stints, it won't help as much. Tire shaving is done to reduce squirm from the tread blocks on the tire. The more they squirm, the more they heat up, the more they heat up, the faster they "go off" and start to loose grip. Thing is, you've got a light weight car, with relatively little power. Shaving will help a little to reduce tire temps, but you'll be sacrificing longevity for performance.

My suggestion? Get a set of Toyo RA-1's or BFG T/A KD or Kumho MX street tires. And call it good. Don't shave, just drive. The advantage with street tires, is that they give you more warning when you're close to the edge, and the edge isn't quite so severe. DOT R tires are awesome, but the edge of the envelope is much further out there than it is for street tires. The Toyo's are rgeat all around track tires. They last a long time, and a very predictable. They aren't the most competitive tire in the field, but if you're just doing track days, and not competing, the Toyo is a great choice...

-Josh2
grantsfo
If you are going to drive on the street much get the Falkens. The DOT R's are fun to drive on the street, but not very practical, especially when it rains.

No need to shave tires if you are just starting out and not racing.

205/50/15 works great on the 5.5 fuch. Most of the stock class AX people run this size with no problem.
mudfoot76
Thanks for the reply!

I have a line on a set of BFG T/A KDW2 also. From what I've seen on tirerack, this is the same as what you suggested?
jhadler
The KDW2 is not the same tire. It's a good tire, but it's not the T/A KD. The KD is a race tire with a street tire tread face. It's a hellofa tire, great for the track. It's not a full race tire, but it responds very well, and stands up to temperatures very well. But it ain't cheap...

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.