Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two quick, easily-answered questions...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric Hagelin
1. Is there any way to tell, from the VIN #, what the original color of my car was?

2. Where can I buy a jack? (I didn't see one listed at Pelican.)

Thanks in advance,

EH
Part Pricer

You will not be able to tell the original color of your car from the VIN. However, there is a Karmann tag that is located in the front of the surround on the driver's door. Get that number, and we can tell you the original color.

For a jack, I would post a WTB ad in the classifieds.

ptravnic
If you are looking for a jack you will soon find that you need jackstands. Jack stands are a porsche 914 owner's best friend.

chairfall.gif
Eric Hagelin
Thanks for the quick reply:

KAROSSERIE NR: 5049045
KUNSTHARZLACK: L 97 A
GWN7
sure it's a "A"?

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html
mstein95
Don't see an L97A on Pat's site either.

http://www.914purists.com/photo_album.html
seanery
I think it's silver.
Eric Hagelin
I just double-checked... it is definitely an "A".
Eric Hagelin
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 21 2006, 11:39 AM) *

I think it's silver.

I was just digging through old threads on paint codes and "L 97 A" - and I think you're right.

And I think it's seen blue, red, and gold since then!
davep
L97A is definitely Metallic Diamond Silver, used from 1975 MY on. We need to get a proper list on this site.
What is the VIN of the car?
Eric Hagelin
VIN = 4752906985
davep
Thanks Eric, another for my database. Does the decal on the door post still exist, and if so, what is the date code?

You need the late style jack for a 75, there should be lots around.
Eric Hagelin
Does the decal on the door post still exist, and if so, what is the date code?

Not only does it exist, but the decal looks brand-flippin new. 12/74

Do these things...

KAROSSERIE NR: 5049045
KUNSTHARZLACK: L 97 A
VIN = 4752906985
DATE CODE = 12/74

...tell you anything about my car? I'm trying to get a better feel for the history of it...

I don't know what the KAROSSERIE number represents.

The L 97 A represents Diamond Silver Mettalic (color code)?

What else can I learn (if anything) from the VIN?

Date code: month/year built?

Thanks!
davep
The only thing the VIN tells you is the model, model year and the serial #.
47 5 29 06985, type 47 is the 914/4, 5 is model year 1975, 29 is probably the Karmann factory, and the rest is the serial #.

Now the chassis number is more of a date code. 50 4 9 045, week 50, day 4 (Thursday) and 45th body that day. So the body was welded up in December, and then finished into a completed car the same month.

The decal basically says the car met regulations for the date it was produced, and was only used for North America.

Karmann used two silver paints for 914 production. L96D was used to the end of MY 1974 and did not stand up well at all. L97A was used for MY 1975 and was an attempt for an improved paint. Some 1975 cars did have L96D in the early production.
Eric Hagelin
Thank you for that info!

I was reading an archived thread about the "Silver Series" 1975 cars, and someone mentioned the L 97 A code.

Final questions (I think!):

Was L 97 A a "standard" color for 1975 (and if so, why isn't it listed on anyone's paint color code lists for 1975), or was it only used on those "Silver Series" cars?

If I want to get the car re-painted in the future, can I get it painted to that original Porsche color code?

GWN7
QUOTE(Eric Hagelin @ Aug 22 2006, 10:05 AM) *

Thank you for that info!

I was reading an archived thread about the "Silver Series" 1975 cars, and someone mentioned the L 97 A code.

Final questions (I think!):

Was L 97 A a "standard" color for 1975 (and if so, why isn't it listed on anyone's paint color code lists for 1975), or was it only used on those "Silver Series" cars?

If I want to get the car re-painted in the future, can I get it painted to that original Porsche color code?

As to why it's not on anyones colour chart is because there were probably not many cars made in that colour and the owners of the charts don't have a example to add it in.

Any auto paint supplier should be able to supply you with paint in that colour. Give them the code & year and they can look up the mix and make it.
davep
L97A was an optional color, and since it was metallic, was a premium price.
It was fairly common and not a 'special' color.
I've had it on my list for years, but my list has not been posted. I did ask Jeroen to post my list on this site some years back, but he's not got around to it yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.