Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ever seen a 914 with the front floor cut out for competition?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Greg Bell
Guys,

I am looking into picking up another 914. It seems to have the front trunk floor cut out with a battery mounted on a panel across the open space ? Is this common? Wouldn't it effect the structure of the car?
Brad Roberts
It probably was an AC car in the past.

I would like to see that area repaired if it was me. That is crash zone. That steel is extra thick for protection (as are the front fenderwells)

I also think you lose some suspension mounting stiffness with it gone.

B
DanT
Greg,
That was probably an A/C equiped car at some time in it's past.
That is where the heat exchanger (A/C radiator) was mounted.
PO removed and someone placed a tray across the area and put the battery there.
I don't know about strength...since this was the prescribed way the A/C was installed Find a nice donor piece to repair the area....

I see Brad beat me to it.... biggrin.gif by nanoseconds
byndbad914
that car may have had aftermarket a/c installed. My 72 had the front floor cutout similarly (and equally rough) and had the condenser unit up there.

IMO it won't weaken it "too" much as the double-thick, really critical area is the front area between the two mount points for the lower arms. It is a shear panel though, so some rigidity is lost for sure, but I suspect minimal. When I started tracking my car, I welded a steel cross brace in to tie the front mounting points of the arms back into the structure.

If you just street the car and maybe even beat it a little ( I used to hammer mine thru the corners even stock) you shouldn't have any issues based on my experience with my car.

edit - jeez, apparently I type slow... you guys beat me by 3 minutes!
Mueller
QUOTE(Greg Bell @ Aug 21 2006, 02:49 PM) *

Guys,

I am looking into picking up another 914. It seems to have the front trunk floor cut out with a battery mounted on a panel across the open space ? Is this common? Wouldn't it effect the structure of the car?

If the seller is trying to bs.gif with that "excuse" for the missing sheetmetal, I'd be leary of what else he is hiding about the vehicle....

ditto with the A/C reasoning, only reason I can see for not repairing it correctly besides lazyness (which I have been guilty of biggrin.gif ) is to use the offending hole for ventilation for an oil cooler or radiator (normally ducting would have been installed)
Andyrew
probably had ac?

that car HAD ac...
URY914
BTW,

A/C,

rolleyes.gif
Joe Bob
Did we mention that was an A/C condensor hole????

BTW, when the battery gets moved it usually means it has "issues" under the old location....

If he starts mentioning "speed holes" start running away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.