Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another battery thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
drew365
I've been using the small Odyssey 680 battery for the past two years and it has never let me down, but I may have found it's limits. I installed a G2X data logger and video recorder and bullet mic over the weekend, and the Odyssey kept losing power anytime I used it to run the logger without the car running. Even for just 30 seconds or so to test I had power. I'm afraid of relying on it this coming weekend at Laguna Seca. It's a real expensive weekend and I don't want to spend it in the pits. So, what's the next best, lightest alternative to the 680 that will give me a little more spare power for my new accessories? I love the Optima but don't want to add 25lbs.
Trekkor
Is it possible to run another small battery for just the gear?

KT
drew365
QUOTE(trekkor @ Aug 21 2006, 10:16 PM) *

Is it possible to run another small battery for just the gear?

KT

Adding a second battery is space and weight, if it's not being charged by the car I need to maintain charging it which could get to be a pain at the track. I'll probably look for a lead acid from a compact car that's not too big.
groot
Are you competing or just running for fun?

If you're just running for fun, throw in another battery or use the Optima.

If you're competing you can charge the battery between sessions or use a jump box when starting your car.... or get a second battery to swap out after you've used the first battery for a while.

I've run a whole weekend on a small motorcycle battery without an alternator.... actually I ran the Runoffs last year on a $30 motorcycle battery that I charged each night. Now I'm really underweight so I run an Optima and don't have to charge it at all during the weekend.... unless I have a practice day on Friday.
drew365
I'm competing, we often have long waits on grid. I want to know I can shut the car off on grid and not be stuck there. The Odyeesy has served me well but I'm worried the extra pull of the data logger and video cam is more than it can handle. I'm going to bring an Optima out of one of my other cars to get through this weekend, than look for a mid size battery as a permanent replacement.
sww914
I've been using little lawn tractor batteries from autozone or walmart for 5 years, I'm on my 3rd one now. I think that 2 years is about as long as they last, but they're ony 25 bucks. I think that your battery may just be getting weak now, a new one might be able to handle it.
Joe Ricard
PC680 batteries are rated at like 220 cold cranking amps. all that crap ( I mean stuff) you are running is probably more than the little bugger an keep up with. a lesser battery such as lead acid will be much worse.

ottox914
How about a deep cycle optmia yellow top- bigger, more power than your 680, but about 3/4 the size-weight of the red top...
drew365
Hi, my name is Andy, and I'm a big dummy!
So after putting the Optima in the car I was still having problems. Finally figured out there was a bad ground connection that was causing intermittent loss of power when starting. So I put the Odyssey back in the car and I think I'm good to go. Truck and trailer are all loaded, I'm heading to Laguna Seca.
mskala
I was going to say you probably had some type of power problem or a failing
odyssey. Glad you found it. You should be able to run that stuff for hours.
Joe Ricard
alfred.gif

w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.