Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wanted to show off my hood and weight updates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
brant
Well, for months now the front hood on my metal car has been undergoing modification in the "free moments"

I wanted to show it off... so here goes.

before paint:
brant
after paint:
brant
and my new weight for 2006 after all modifications....

(not in JP's league... but at least I have the excuse that Its a metal car)
J P Stein
Nice.....and I wouldn't bet on my car in the weight derby.
Till I get it on a legit scale, who knows?
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 22 2006, 08:00 PM) *

after paint:

Now that is serious. dry.gif
theol00
cool - that looks awesome
URY914
I'm truly touched. biggrin.gif

Nice work. I bet getting all those metal shavings out of it was fun. Use a magnet and vacuum?
Joe Ricard
So Brant, what do you figure the difference is from no holes to lots of holes?
I think I want to do a fiberglass frame under thinned metal skin. Maybe aluminum skin.
groot
Good work, Brant!! Is that weight with you in the car?

Those hoods and trunk lids are heavy stuff.... did yours have the foam in the supports?
grantsfo
Nice! Noticed no holes in diagonal supports.
brant
Thanks gang...

Paul, yep.. vacuum and lots of air.
plus we had to use a dremel to de-burr the edges and clean up every single hole

Joe, Its not that much difference. More of an appearance thing really. 5lbs on our before and after scale. We considered an aluminum skin, but didn't think it would be a good idea for a road race application. Aluminum bends so easily that every single rock thrown up from the car ahead would put a "door ding" into the panel. That was our theory anyways... but perhaps a heavier gauge stock would not have that problem?

Kevin,
nope... my club does weight without driver so that is my wet weight with 19qts of oil and 4 gallons fuel. I did have some of the foam in the lower supports and picked and picked at it.... some of it came out but not 100%

Grant, yep... we chose not to do holes in the diagonal supports. This car even had a tiny kink in one of the diagonal supports and so many of them do from frontal taps... our thoughts were that the hood is still pretty heavy at 30lbs and those diagonals were needed still. We felt that if we weakened them then they would kink just from picking up and moving around the hood, while it tried to support itself.

brant
914forme
Acetone poored into the channel would have cleand out your foam issue!! But can cause other nasty paint side effects if it is not purged well.

As always nice work Brant, I only wish my car was in at that weight. I can dream, but like you I play by a rule book also.

pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.