Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Since there are so many cylists here...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
I've put up with traditional seats for something like 60k lifetime miles.

The discomfort really degrades my cycling experience and I want it to stop.

I seek the advice of long distance riders as to the selection of a quality seat that I can live with. beerchug.gif
tomamafone
Check out some of the Body Geometry ones by Specialized. they make both road and mountian versions. look for the sleeker stuff, they're plenty comfy and very light You're definately going to want one of those ones with the center section cut out check out www.specialized.com for more info... the most important thing is that its comfy for you. you may have to check out other companies like bontrager to find just the addle you're looking for.
cobra94563
No complaints using my Terry Ti Race and gel shorts. biggrin.gif
(Roadie..mostly 40-50m rides.)

edit:
check here
link
Series9
I'll look at those.

Anyone try one of these?

Selle SMP Strike:

turboman808
I think quality shorts are more important then a comfy saddle. I prefer Biemme shorts but we are all different.

But the synthetic chamois material with chamois butt'er is comfy for days of riding.

They say brooks are the most comfortable saddles but I don't really agree. Find them harder then a carbon saddle.

Most of my bikes Selle Italia SLR. My tri bike has a selle san marco aspide gel. Extra padding on the nose since you spend more time up on your whoohaa.
Eric Taylor
I love my specialized body geometry saddle. It's got two pads for your sit bones and when setup right on your bike it is ultra comfy. The two bones in your rear are the only ones that actually touch the saddle leaving your extra soft tissue off the saddle. I also agree on the shorts combo, I love my pearl izumi's and when combined with the body geo saddle it's a really good ride.
Eric
MattR
I would agree with the good shorts thing. If you dont wear bibs, its going to hurt.

I'm riding a Selle Italia SLR right now and its much better then what I had before. I was between the Fizik Pave HP Ti and the Selle Italia SLR, and I went with the Selle Italia so I could look cool among the other cyclists... (sarcasm). I dont think you can go wrong with either if thats the kind of seat you're looking for.
gregrobbins
Brooks Leather: look at the seats on the bikes of long distance cyclists, RAAM riders, etc. We hosted a Belgium cyclists this summer who was ridding for Anchorage Alaska to the tip of Argentina in South America. Spending over one year in the saddle, and yes: Brooks

Once the leather is broken in (or rather you are mated to it), it will feel like your favorite pair of slippers. The key is to ride on a regular basis to keep the saddle supple and to keep your butt muscles use to riding.

Nothing is comfortable for too many miles if you only ride now and again.
seanery
brooks once it and your butt are one...last forever, too.
Ferg
All good sugestions above, let me add one more...

Get a profesional bike fit. Usually the high end road race shops in town are capable of doing it. You will spend a hour or so, on a custom spin type adjustable bike taking measurments, angles, ect ect. I did it many years ago and was surprised how "off" I had been riding (at a pro level even!) for so many years. You get a nice sheet with all your measurments so you can transfer from bike to bike. Really made a difference in my lower back, and in my overall comfort in the longer road rides.

Ferg biggrin.gif
Sparky
I agree with Ferg, go get the fit done. I ride a hybrid Cannondale long distances (century+) and wear Pearl Izumi baggies with a Bodyfit Ascent TI saddle and am very comfortable. I'm also a big guy and look kinda silly in spandex...
jasons
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Aug 22 2006, 11:58 PM) *

Once the leather is broken in (or rather you are mated to it), it will feel like your favorite pair of slippers. The key is to ride on a regular basis to keep the saddle supple and to keep your butt muscles use to riding.

Nothing is comfortable for too many miles if you only ride now and again.

How long does it take to make a Brooks comfortable? Can you accelerate the process with some kind of conditioner?
Joseph Mills
Joe-

I second the merit of saddle/tights combo.

Descente makes some good tights (and not too expensive).

Last season I picked up two pairs of Castelli tights and while outrageously expensive, they are worth every penny. Don't try a pair on unless you're ready to buy. biggrin.gif

I used a Brooks saddle for 3 years but discarded it for modern gel seats.

You might try a woman's saddle - they're a bit wider and some riders find them to provide extra comfort for longer distances.

On my road bike I'm currently using a Serfas Terazzo Gel saddle. Very comfortable for me. I've noticed that if I bump a ride up 15-20 miles there is not the discomfort I've had with other saddles. I think the gel technology has optimized the rider's fit issues.

Like someone said, try out your local shop.

And don't overlook the butt butter (Johnson's baby cream works well). It will save your ass. biggrin.gif

gopack
I used to swear by the brooks pro (80's vintage) but now i have to say go HIGH TECH, and try one of the new anatomic saddles. I ride a 4 year old specialized body geometry saddle, and like has been said before it isnt confortable if you dont ride often. after a week or so though it is nice and comfy! the best part is NO MORE NUMB STUFF!!! I really used to worry about that issue!
Brett W
I am running an Avocet O2, I like it pretty well. I don't like saddles with lots of stiching on them.

AS far as shorts you can't touch Assos bibs. Those shorts with the synthetic pad are better than anything I have ridden before.
toon1
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 23 2006, 07:23 AM) *

All good sugestions above, let me add one more...

Get a profesional bike fit. Usually the high end road race shops in town are capable of doing it. You will spend a hour or so, on a custom spin type adjustable bike taking measurments, angles, ect ect. I did it many years ago and was surprised how "off" I had been riding (at a pro level even!) for so many years. You get a nice sheet with all your measurments so you can transfer from bike to bike. Really made a difference in my lower back, and in my overall comfort in the longer road rides.

Ferg biggrin.gif

Bike fit is the most important aspect of comfort. I had a fit done from a pro , best $75 I ever spent.

I like the peal izumi shorts with the ultra sensor chami, use a good chami cream.

for saddles, the brand new specialized saddle, I hear is real comfy and light weight. I ride a Fizik Arione and love it, 2-250 miles a week with some 4-5 hours in the saddle at times with no discomfort.

Something you might want to try is to lean the bike against a wall, take a carpenter level and lay it atop the seat, it should be level. If it's nose up or nose down , adjust it til level.

Also , go to roadbikereview.com, they have a section on the site that reviews different components.

For the longest time most of the TDF riders used selle italia saddles but now it seems that more than 50% are using Fizik.
RogerYellow914
Everyone's anatomy is a bit different. Even a minor difference is shape or width can mean the difference between torture and bliss. I've ridden the Selle Italia Flight for years. I got a new bike that came with a Selle San Marco Aspide. Not much difference in overall shape and width, but I started calling the Aspide the "ass bite". Swapped out for the Flite Carbonio. There was more of a difference in the Flite Ti and Carbon than expected. There's no "give" in the carbon rails, but the fit is the same.

Find a shop that will let you try a few to see which one feels the best. Specialized Body Geometry has a neat system where they have multiple widths of the same saddle. The Fizik saddles I've tried were comfy and my friend's Selle Italia ProLink Gel feels like a Barcalounger. But, I don't think a soft saddle is going to feel very good after a 80+ mile ride.

I ditto the quality shorts comments. I like the Castelli Y Pros the best, followed by the Nike ProFits. I haven't tried the Assos because I can't afford them.

-Roger
turboman808
Yeah definetly everyone is different. I had a Flite saddle and it just rubbed me the wrong way ohmy.gif

Man did that saddle hurt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.