Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need some good pics of black 914's and silver 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 dror
So that’s your chance guys if you are the silver gang or the black pirates
Show me your 914 and it better be a killer!
icon_bump.gif
914 dror
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 23 2006, 09:52 AM) *

Not mine but nice examples

[

Thanks Paul!
good pics

i need more chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif
and if you have pro's and con's for black or silver I would like to here it smile.gif
Gustl
not mine, but real killers ...

yes, both are really what they seem to be drooley.gif

Gustl
another "black beauty"
Gustl
silver killer ...
Gustl
more black
Gustl
more silver
Gustl
and finally a black killer biggrin.gif

(this exhaust system is not really my taste icon8.gif )
fitsbain
Black is the best looking (IMHO) but is also the hardest to keep looking good.

If you even look at it funny it will be dirty.

The silver is much more forgiving.
East coaster
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Lou W
Here's a couple black one's;
Lou W
and another one;
Lou W
Here's a couple Silver one's;
914 dror
QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 23 2006, 01:56 PM) *

Here's a couple Silver one's;

clap56.gif beer.gif clap56.gif your the man
the black ones do look more impresive
any silver gang people here want to debate this?? smile.gif
JPB
Yes and I am always right!LOL Just had to quote the X sorry. Silver is an awsome color but I have a passion for that bright silver not just plain old metal. I saw one with chrome trim and black accents, WOW. That Black Porsche sticker on the sides, WOW; them black skins on polished five lug rims,WOW. Wish I had a pic, this one was on ebay about a month or so ago. If ya have them GT flares it gets even hotter, PPPPST caliente.

beer.gif
73Phoenix20
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 23 2006, 04:26 AM) *

Yes and I am always right!LOL Just had to quote the X sorry. Silver is an awsome color but I have a passion for that bright silver not just plain old metal. I saw one with chrome trim and black accents, WOW. That Black Porsche sticker on the sides, WOW; them black skins on polished five lug rims,WOW. Wish I had a pic, this one was on ebay about a month or so ago. If ya have them GT flares it gets even hotter, PPPPST caliente.

beer.gif

You mean like this one?
robby750
Wish I could have saved this one.
effutuo101
I really love the black cars. But, as already stated, it gets dirty really quick. I love the silver as it is much more forgiving when dirty. I don't have a current picture of my car, so I will have to take one and post. Oh, and i prefer to lose the sail vinyl on the silver cars. Darker colors can have it or no IMHO
VegasRacer
Once you go black - you never go back.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Check my blog for lots more Elvira photos.
Allan
My old 2.0

gopack
I prefer silver, especially with the GT flares. ("silver killer" is SICK!)
That being said, the wife asked me to paint mine black, so black it is! any one have any ideas on how to make black POP, let me know! the paint phase should be from in a couple of months to this winter, so I have plenty of time!
DonTraver
Here's mine right after I finished the restoration, everything still works too.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(gopack @ Aug 23 2006, 09:14 AM) *

I prefer silver, especially with the GT flares. ("silver killer" is SICK!)
That being said, the wife asked me to paint mine black, so black it is! any one have any ideas on how to make black POP, let me know! the paint phase should be from in a couple of months to this winter, so I have plenty of time!

Add blue pearl to the clear, color sand and buff. Looks killer.
WRX914
Not exactly silver, but a variation...

TravisNeff
Metallic Grey. - right inbetween, sorta
GTeener
QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 23 2006, 04:46 AM) *

Here's a couple black one's;

I see no fog lights idea.gif Are there oil coolers behind those grills?
GTeener
On topic comment wink.gif
Black is low profile with respects to police radar and sight, but Silver is the offical German racing color.

Black also absorbs heat and can get very toasty especially without AC. Also shows dust immediately and prolifically. Looks muey macho though when all clean and shiny biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif
ehick72
Not to slam on Black cars because it looks great on a car, however working in the funeral business for 8 years basically taught me that I would never want a black car. It is just too hard to keep clean.
914-8
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 23 2006, 11:55 AM) *

Black is low profile with respects to police radar and sight, but Silver is the offical German racing color.

Actually, WHITE (with red numbers) is the official racing color of Germany.

(That's why Porsche's white paint color is called "GP White").

Anywhoo, silver is cute, but . . .

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

RS22b
this one is mine and still under construction
GTeener
QUOTE(914-8 @ Aug 23 2006, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 23 2006, 11:55 AM) *

Actually, WHITE (with red numbers) is the official racing color of Germany.

(That's why Porsche's white paint color is called "GP White").

Anywhoo, silver is cute, but . . .

IPB Image

Never heard that, but it would explain Trekkor's paint scheme biggrin.gif
andys
914's in black simply look great, but.........The body prep must be first class for it to look well, first class. As mentioned, black needs constant cleaning to keep it looking sharp, and gets really hot if you're in sunny climates. 33 years ago, I owned a black/black 2.0 with A/C. Pre-requisites: Car cover (keeps a fresh wax job looking fresh), and the A/C (absolutely manditory in SoCal, etc).

To keep the body prep (hours of blocking) at a reasonable level, I'm going with silver; Arctic silver I think is the Porsche color I'm going with.

Andys
mrdezyne
thumb3d.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

This has to be one of the sickest, meanest, cleanest, most down and out hotest teeners I have ever laid eyes on. And I HATE black, having a black truck currently myself, hardest thing to maintain and keep looking nice for any length of time. Otherwise OMG! I think I need to go change my shorts....

I don't have a photo but just today I saw I two tone paint job that was black down the sides and silver across the top surfaces. The two colors were seperated by a nice red pin stripe. I must say it looked mighty schweet!

914-8
QUOTE(andys @ Aug 23 2006, 01:48 PM) *

914's in black simply look great, but.........The body prep must be first class for it to look well, first class. As mentioned, black needs constant cleaning to keep it looking sharp, and gets really hot if you're in sunny climates. 33 years ago, I owned a black/black 2.0 with A/C. Pre-requisites: Car cover (keeps a fresh wax job looking fresh), and the A/C (absolutely manditory in SoCal, etc).

To keep the body prep (hours of blocking) at a reasonable level, I'm going with silver; Arctic silver I think is the Porsche color I'm going with.

Andys

True. Black has to have really good body prep, because it magnifies every flaw. I think that's why, for a long time, cars like Hondas (in the 70s and early 80s) weren't available in black. Too much hassle. And why there was an extra charge for black on a 914. Silver is a very forgiving color.

And same for the cleaning. My white and silver cars can go for weeks without a wash, and still look good. Black . . . not so much! And, it's very hard to keep black scratch and swirl free, even careful washing and drying will eventually put visible imperfections on it that need to be taken care of. Silver you can wash with sandpaper and it'll still look good! No doubt, black is the toughest color to maintain.

But on the heat issue . . . gotta disagree with that. I can't see how the exterior color of a 914 can affect the interior temp significantly, esp. if the roof is kept in the standard black on the silver car. Yeah, the surface temp of the hood, trunks, doors and fenders are going to be higher on the black car, but I don't see how a significant amount of that heat would be transferred to the interior. Maybe a tiny bit. *Interior* color - I could see that making a big difference.
JPB
All a Yall have some funky sick rides!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

drooley.gif
boxstr
When clean black looks great. But very difficult to keep clean if you plan to drive it. Ask me how I know.
CCLINBASICBLACK
byndbad914
Yet another opinion..

I think the key to color choice is accent colors actually. So, for instance, I love the look of Elvira - all black, but notice how good the chrome placement looks on that car v. a silver car with the same wheels, trim.

However, 914s IMO look fantastic silver because of all the factory black accents with bumper pads, lower rockers, roof, etc. Also, if you are using silver wheels, I prefer a silver car. Black would require I paint the centers black and polish the lip or something to add a chrome accent back in while tying back to the car.

I think you picked to two absolute hardest colors for me to pick between as my "favorite car color". That said, I buy silver or white cars because silver hides everything (white is good too for hiding) - you scratch or chip a silver car and it isn't as noticeable as a black car. Ding it, probably won't notice it until you wash it. Dust/dirt after 3 lazy weekends in a row of not washing - hard to tell. So to me, black is a fantastic show car color, and that is about it.
teen914
here is my dad's car on the olympic peninsula

Gerry
Bleyseng
Black but not mine dry.gif
andys

[/quote]
But on the heat issue . . . gotta disagree with that. I can't see how the exterior color of a 914 can affect the interior temp significantly, esp. if the roof is kept in the standard black on the silver car. Yeah, the surface temp of the hood, trunks, doors and fenders are going to be higher on the black car, but I don't see how a significant amount of that heat would be transferred to the interior. Maybe a tiny bit. *Interior* color - I could see that making a big difference.
[/quote]

It's hard for me to imagine you couldn't tell the difference. My silver '05 Tacoma is completely tolerable to enter after sitting in the sun all day, as is my white Explorer. I recall my black 914 being so hot, that I would have to open both doors, start the motor and turn on the A/C, and stand outside the car unitl it got to where I could sit in the seat. Take that black car to Vegas or Phoenix. Bet those folks got it figured out! Actually, I notice they do the same.....start the car, turn on A/C, and wait a couple of minutes, etc.

Andys
andys
QUOTE(914-8 @ Aug 23 2006, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Aug 23 2006, 01:48 PM) *

Andys

True. Black has to have really good body prep, because it magnifies every flaw. I think that's why, for a long time, cars like Hondas (in the 70s and early 80s) weren't available in black. Too much hassle. And why there was an extra charge for black on a 914. Silver is a very forgiving color.

And same for the cleaning. My white and silver cars can go for weeks without a wash, and still look good. Black . . . not so much! And, it's very hard to keep black scratch and swirl free, even careful washing and drying will eventually put visible imperfections on it that need to be taken care of. Silver you can wash with sandpaper and it'll still look good! No doubt, black is the toughest color to maintain.

rick 918-S
hrer's one. drooley.gif
slapshot914
Love my black '73, 2 liter. It looks great when its all clean and sparkly. But up close you definitely see all the flaws.
jim912928
My Arctic Silver......
p914
If you have seat covers the hot seat issue is no longer.
Here's another blacky
2pointOH
Here's my '76 with an updated silver.

Click to view attachment
914 dror
Thank guys!
It’s a hard decision getting harder with every pic.
But time is running up so I’ll let you all know soon
+ pics of course

aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.