Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Whine under load
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I think I need a intermediate plate with some good but used bearings in them. These things are pressed in correct?

I'm just thinking aloud. Entertain me smile.gif

b
jr91472
Yep, pressed in. Fairly easy to replace the bearings. The hard part is removing the gear stack from the plate and then paying for the bearings (or finding good used ones).

There is probably nothing wrong with your intermediate plate. In fact you really want to keep that plate matched with the current ring/pinion setup. Otherwise you run the risk of messing up the pinion depth and creating a whole new "whine".

Just replace the bearings. beer.gif

Let me know if I can help.
JPB
Ya ain't got no juice in the box brother or at least, that would be my first guess.

beer.gif If ya wanna do her, ya gotta juice her!
bd1308
juice is full to the brim friend.

Nasty stuff that juice is though.

smile.gif
bd1308
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Aug 23 2006, 06:48 AM) *

Yep, pressed in. Fairly easy to replace the bearings. The hard part is removing the gear stack from the plate and then paying for the bearings (or finding good used ones).

There is probably nothing wrong with your intermediate plate. In fact you really want to keep that plate matched with the current ring/pinion setup. Otherwise you run the risk of messing up the pinion depth and creating a whole new "whine".

Well ya gots any of dem bearings?
Bleyseng
Hard to find good used ones as the upper bearing is usually toast from all these years of low oil.

get a new one.

I take it the noise is in 2nd/3rd?
bd1308
OK here goes...

1st gear no noise
2nd gear slight noise
3rd gear noise
4th slightly less than 3rd
5th almost no noise

pitch DOES NOT VARY with speed, varies only with RPM.

I thought for a while it was the fan making some harmonic sound. Its hardly audible over the engine.

I have heard the low-oil noise and that sounded like straight-cut gears. Scared the shit out of me, and topped the tranny off. It happened after a six hour drive to Dayton,OH.
jr91472
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Aug 23 2006, 05:03 AM) *

QUOTE(jr91472 @ Aug 23 2006, 06:48 AM) *

Well ya gots any of dem bearings?

Sorry no. I am running on a questionable set as we speak
bd1308
Well I guess i'm in the market for some bearings.

What happens when they finally go? Grinding I know (experience with ball bearing motors and hard drives) but is there any metal particulates in the gear oil (assumably so)

b
bob174
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Aug 23 2006, 08:18 AM) *

Well I guess i'm in the market for some bearings.

What happens when they finally go? Grinding I know (experience with ball bearing motors and hard drives) but is there any metal particulates in the gear oil (assumably so)

b

My bearings had completely failed and when I dumped the oil out of mine it had a golden sheen from all the brass particles entrained in it.
bd1308
Hmm...it probably munched on it for a while...or exploded huh?

b
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Aug 23 2006, 06:16 AM) *

pitch DOES NOT VARY with speed, varies only with RPM.

but doesnt speed vary with RPM?

non sequiter (sp) argument
bd1308
Well aaron...

RPM varies with speed only because of the transmission.

Speed and RPM are independent, but connected only via the gear you're in.

But you already knew that...

What i'm suggesting is that the pitch of the whine (a la speed of the bearings flying around) doesnt VARY with the gear/speed i'm in.

I coudl be doing 3500 in 3rd and 3500 in 4th and still get the same PITCH of the whine. WHich leads me to believe that the problem lies on the input shaft side of the transmission.

BTW, I have no idea what word that is supposed to be.

b
Aaron Cox
ahh.... it is gear independant....

google it.
bd1308
Google what?

I KNEW it was gear independent.

b
bd1308
What im wondering is which shaft is the top one?

Is the input shaft the top one, or the output shaft?

My gut feeling is that upper bearing is the input shaft, IE that bearing is going bad.

b
Aaron Cox
google: non sequiter.... (sp?) but anyway...

yes. top shaft is the driven shaft (input) and bottom shaft is the drive (output) shaft....

bearings are $$$

call carquip in CO to see if they have any good used ones
bd1308
is the upper bearing still 300 something bucks?

I could do that.

b
Aaron Cox
upper intermediate plate bearing? or upper bearing in the trans case....

2 bearings per shaft.... rollers in case, balls in the int...
bd1308
so twice what I would posted....

Lemme check PP and CarQuip.

If anyone has good ones lemme know.

I already know about the can of worms.

Dr Evil, If you have these items lemme know.

b
bd1308
so I need these?

901 Intermediate Plate End Mainshaft Bearing, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), 914-6 (1970-72), Each (Part 6)
Brand: OEM [Photo]

999-053-025-00-M260 $192.25
901 Flywheel End Mainshaft Bearing, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), 914-6 (1970-72), Each (Part 9)
Brand: FAG [Photo]

999-110-008-00-M34 $232.25
SirAndy
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Aug 23 2006, 05:48 AM) *

actually, once the bearing starts spinning, it'll wear down the material around it.
even if you get a new bearing, it won't fit tight no more ...

seen it many times, take a look at the WEVO website for the *correct* fix ...
smile.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
britt,

you need to open your box and find what you need to replace....

you may be dollars ahead buying another box....
John
you need to open your box and find what you need to replace....

you may be dollars ahead buying another box....

I agree to some extent.

Getting another "good" box may present a challenge as they are not as common in KY as they are in CA.

Chances of getting another used box with all good bearings will be slim to none.

I know for a fact that you will find more things wrong than just those two bearings once you open the box. You will only know what needs replacing when it is opened up. If you are not experienced in rebuilding and determining what needs to be replaced, you would be money ahead by sending your gearstacks out to Dr. Evil.

I wish his services would have been available the first time I took a 901 box apart (some 20 years ago). I would have sent it to him. Alas, I learned how to rebuild them myself and they are pretty darn durable unless you over-stress the crap out of them (too much torque kills them).

A second "temparary" box while you rebuild your "keeper" box is always a good idea if you need your car to drive.

Good luck with your cheap bearing hunt.
Bleyseng
check this out:
http://stoddard.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes

cheaper
Dr Evil
I PMed you already. I have, new too if you so desire for less than what you stated. So far I agree with all fo the good advisxe given here as well.

Take the box apart and LOOK before you leap. You may not need a second donor. I can get you anything you need for less than the donor, and a donor will need a rebuild, too. Trust me.

The bearing on the upper shaft is the one to die when the oil level is not maintained as it is not soaking in it like the pinion int bearing. If you fry a roller bearing (forward bearing ont he shaft) then you will be hating life as they are pricey.....and I have. PM me when you figure out what you need to do.
bd1308
I think i'll do this:

1)Find/Look for a good used tranny to roll with.
2)Aquire parts to rebuild mine.
3)Wait for used tranny to cough, and then throw in my good tranny.

I need to fix a small leak in my tranny anyway, this will take care of the leak too.

b
Zenbruddah
My transaxle whines as well but only at highway speeds at the top of 3rd, 4th and 5th.
bd1308
Mine too, a soft whine.

Not the straight cut gearish whine sound, but just a gentle whine.

I'll keep the tranny full and see what happens. There is a pullA Part near me that has 3 914s.

b
Aaron Cox
i cant hear my tranny over carbs, header, and ear plugs LOL....

i can hear second chirp tho smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.