Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914s FS: Views on Pelican beets the 914club?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I posted the identical ad in the classifieds yesterday at the same time, for several 914 LE cars. In the last 24 hours:

540 views on PP: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=300091

160 views on 914club: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=59258

A factor of more than 3 times the traffic.

Most of their P-car FS ads show much higher view counts than ours...Any ideas why? confused24.gif

914-8
Umm, because PP probably has 50X the traffic as this site?
Jeroen
because PP isn't about 914s only
Chris Pincetich
cuz we're all NARP CSOBs lookin for a deal on used parts, wannabe wrench heads lookin for free advice, and chronic tirekickin dreamers. Or is it just me? av-943.gif

My fixer-up has me hooked. I hope to get rich and get a real LE some day. I want a grasshopper! beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Web Rank Domain
68,337 pelicanparts.com
342,167 914world.com

Pelican is the 68,337 most viewed site on the internet. 914Club is the 342,167 most viewed site.
Lou W
Because... we only look at the ad once, they have to look at three times? happy11.gif
914-8
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 23 2006, 12:41 PM) *

Web Rank Domain
68,337 pelicanparts.com
342,167 914world.com

Pelican is the 68,337 most viewed site on the internet. 914Club is the 342,167 most viewed site.

You actually can't tell how many more times PP is viewed than 914Club, or how much more volume of traffic PP gets, based on those numbers. You can tell it's more, but you can't tell whether it's 2X more, 5X more, or 100X more.

Anyways, whatever the real number is, the answer remains the same. There's a lot more views on ads there because they have much more traffic.
Eric_Shea
You wonder why George had sent his Shills over here to try to get biz? You wonder if he's hurt'n? av-943.gif

68,337 pelicanparts.com
342,167 914world.com
1,063,625 autoatlanta.com

(oops... wrong thread... but fun)
914-8
But I guess you figured that out already! wink.gif
turboman808
Seem to get more money from the pelican guys when you sell stuff. piratenanner.gif thumb3d.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 23 2006, 11:41 AM) *

Because... we only look at the ad once, they have to look at three times? happy11.gif

av-943.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(boboli914@att.net @ Aug 23 2006, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 23 2006, 11:41 AM) *

av-943.gif

Actually, it's probably because of that time when Z showed his hairy butt photo! blink.gif
Eric_Shea
Those numbers are from rankings.com.

They determine the overall "popularity" of sites and how they sites compare to one another They use the websites actual traffic, visit sessions and page views in coming up with the numbers. They're a guide to understand which sites are the most visited.

That being said, correct, they aren't the actual traffic metrics to a website but popularity ranking of the sites in relation to all websites visited. Pelican seems to be 5x more popular than the club.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 23 2006, 12:23 PM) *

Any ideas why?

snapshot, taken at 12:55pm, August 23rd, 2006

Pelican:
Currently Active Users: 636

914club:
150 user(s) active in the past 30 minutes

4x plus people online right this minute, probably 50x the traffic we have during a full day ...

that ought to make a difference ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
But I guess you figured that out already!

Yup... I run the 4,394th site in the Universe.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Aug 23 2006, 11:32 AM) *

because PP isn't about 914s only

agree.gif That's the ticket..
JeffBowlsby
"They read them 3 times"...I like that... thumb3d.gif

The question is not the general popularity of each website based on webrankings or # of users on the website at any one moment. PP is more popular in that respect because they cater to many more models than the 914.

BUT, my two ads are 914 specific, so most people would only open them (and therefore bump that specific view count) if they were interested in 914s. The hit count for each ad is located on the main classified listing for each ad, not at my links to the ad. I think the contrast is interesting, I just don't know why...

Sellers want exposure, and on PP my 914 ad was viewed over 3X as many times.

More ideas?
nebreitling
Actually, my car is doing better on 914club classifieds (66 views) rather than PP (56).
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 23 2006, 01:09 PM) *

BUT, my two ads are 914 specific, so most people would only open them (and therefore bump that specific view count) if they were interested in 914s. The hit count for each ad is located on the main classified listing for each ad, not at my links to the ad. I think the contrast is interesting, I just don't know why...

i don't think that's entirely true. a *lot* of porsche owners are interested in other porsche models as well.
especially a somewhat rare LE is certain to draw some attention from non-914 owners ...

the pool of people to draw from, at any given time, is much larger on PP than it is here.

i disagree with you that only 914 *owners* will look at 914s for sale ...
smile.gif Andy
Nathans_Dad
I usually just lurk on this site, but I have to show my ignorance here because I can find the answer with a search.

What is an "LE" car?

I'm a current 911 owner (from Pelican in fact, hah) who is looking to add a 914 to the garage sometime in the next year or so...just trying to git myself edumacated.

jsharp.gif
nebreitling
just for the record, even though I'm from Dallas: that dude who just posted above is not my father. My dad doesn't have quite good enough taste to drive a 911.

about LE's :
http://members.rennlist.com/914_canam/
Lou W
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 23 2006, 01:33 PM) *

i don't think that's entirely true. a *lot* of porsche owners are interested in other porsche models as well.
especially a somewhat rare LE is certain to draw some attention from non-914 owners ...

smile.gif Andy

I think that makes alot of sense.
JeffBowlsby
Me:

Andy:

I didnt say only 914 owners would look at an ad for a 914, just someone specifically interested in a 914, making the comparison between the classified listings interesting.

So are there more people interested in buying 914s on the PP site as evidenced by the higher view counts for 914 ads?
JPB
We can sit here and wonder WHY? It is a quality/quantity issue here brothers! Shure they get all that other nonquality car traffic but ours is mostly 914s.

beer.gif I'm a teener dude and not a porscher, can ya tell?.LOL Once my varility shrivels down to a couple of dry prunes only then will I feel fit to migrate to other Porsche models!!!
Nathans_Dad
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Aug 23 2006, 03:36 PM) *

just for the record, even though I'm from Dallas: that dude who just posted above is not my father. My dad doesn't have quite good enough taste to drive a 911.

about LE's :
http://members.rennlist.com/914_canam/

Hah, definitely true. But I am the father of my son, who also happens to be named Nathan...

jsharp.gif
Matt Meyer
Intresting static. Especially when I consider I got caught. I am one who looked at your ad on Pelican and not here.

I don't look at the car ads here too often, I dont need another 914.

I look at ads on Pelican because I want a 1972 911, probably suits my umm.... personality better ;^) and to lament the one that got away.

Funny thing is that I hit your ad because I recognized your name, know what an LE is, know your affection for them, and found it intresting you were posting an ad there rather than here.

When looking at statics you gotta hope that people like me are few enough not to impact the overall picture.

Now what really matters. Which is generating more leads?
Eric_Shea

the pool of people to draw from, at any given time, is much larger on PP than it is here.

Opa nailed it. I work with web numbers and advertising all day long.

With a dedicated product (914 only), or sometimes coined as an extreme vertical market, our site stacks up nicely if not better than PP and others. Out of the number of Porsches sold, how many were 914's and their derivitives? Now, what percentage is that of the whole. Better yet, (and to be more fair) what percentage is that 119k of all the 911's through say... 1989.

Now, let's look at the fact that PP is a successful storefront and a BB and a content site and, and, and...

Another great point that Elder Opa brought up is 914 "Owners" might not be your best target market when selling a 914. How many newbies do we see here every week saying "I've wanted one since I was in college and I finally got my first 914!". Then we find out they got raked over the coals because they didn't check here first.

Another problem is that damn Pete Stout (you know.. the guy who drives a truck and wears a P-O-R-S-C-H-E cap). He keeps printing cool stories about 914's and all the other Porschie-people are now wanting one.

Finally... everyone here knows LE's are just 74's with a paint job and over there, you can probably fool a few tail-draggers into paying $25k for one w00t.gif

hide.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 23 2006, 02:44 PM) *

Finally... everyone here knows LE's are just 74's with a paint job and over there, you can probably fool a few tail-draggers into paying $25k for one w00t.gif
hide.gif

agree.gif with Jack on that one.
Gint
Much ado about nothing...

...unless idea.gif

What's your point Jeff? I'm thinking there was a point to this post veiled in a question.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 23 2006, 04:56 PM) *

What's your point Jeff? I'm thinking there was a point to this post veiled in a question.

agree.gif my first thought also ... biggrin.gif

jeff, the sneaky one, bowlsby

happy11.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
Naw, no hidden meaning, no concealed agenda...I am transparent...

I thought the question was pretty clear. Same 914 ad placed on 2 different 914 website classifieds. The dedicated 914 site gets 1/3 the number of views the bigger generalist P-car site gets. It just doesnt make sense to me and I am scratching my head wondering about it...I would think we would have triple or better 914 traffic on this site.
Rider914
I own a 914 and I don't need another, so I am here.

If I owned a 911 I would be on pelican, dreaming of a 914LE in their classifieds.
3liter914-6
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 23 2006, 09:23 PM) *

Naw, no hidden meaning, no concealed agenda...I am transparent...

I thought the question was pretty clear. Same 914 ad placed on 2 different 914 website classifieds. The dedicated 914 site gets 1/3 the number of views the bigger generalist P-car site gets. It just doesnt make sense to me and I am scratching my head wondering about it...I would think we would have triple or better 914 traffic on this site.

I think there are 2 factors at work.

1. as mentioned the non-model specific nature of PP classifieds, and the higher traffic. I'll often browse as I'm casually looking for a 911, and click on any number of ads that catch my interest 944s, 928s, 968s, etc. Whereas the traffic 914club gets is specifically 914 oriented.

2. As I said, I look at ads that catch my interest. I'd wager that a huge percentage of the taildragger and waterpumper crowd has no idea what a creamsicle or bumblebee is. So naturally, when they see an ad in the P-car section with those terms and no further description, curiosity rules.

I'd guess that a similar ad identifying the cars as a 914 LE, 914 Can Am, etc would generate less views.
cooltimes

More ideas?
[/quote]

Actually, it's simple as why more view the PP ads.
Pelican Parts is a business that sells PCar parts and owners buying those parts just trust PP reputation more than other sites and those posting an ad get that unseen benefit included in their ads when people are looking for/at cars. Most never intend to buy a car. They just look.

I don't believe that PP requires a cookie like AA does which might have some bearing in the vast difference of viewers too. Just a guess.

I always look at the cars for sale no matter where they are. It's my hobby.
MikeCool
TimT
If I owned a 911 I would be on pelican

I own a 911, and have owned quite a few 911s..I also now own a 914

I prefer the camaraderie and dynamic that happens on this BBS rather than the

"captive audience" the other BBS has...

Rider914
QUOTE(TimT @ Aug 23 2006, 06:41 PM) *

If I owned a 911 I would be on pelican

I own a 911, and have owned quite a few 911s..I also now own a 914

I prefer the camaraderie and dynamic that happens on this BBS rather than the

"captive audience" the other BBS has...

Were you here before the 914?
914forme
Maybe its because we all ready own enough 914s to fill the PP site, and have a built in filter to keep us from looking for new cars.

Nahh - I looked at your add here and not on PP, I hardly ever go there unless the 914club site is down.

I am not an addict baby......
Thats a lie.
TimT
Were you here before the 914?

Yes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.