Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT NISSAN ARMADA Should I shouldn't I?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
I found an Armada 2004, fully loaded 32k miles on it 4 whl drive. I own my Explorer a 2003 with 38k miles on it, the thing has everything on it but it's not 4 whl drive. The main reason I am looking at the Armada is the wife loves it, and it's yep 4 whl drive. Being in Colorado now, it's a nice feature to have. I plan on getting back to snow skiing and I would like the comfort of knowing my wife and I can get around.

I had a Titan and loved the thing, but I needed more room in the rear of the cab, it ran great except for the brake issue that Nissan took care of. So the question is, first does anyone have first had knowledge of these trucks? good bad indifferent?

And then am I out of my Phucking mind taking on another car payment? The good thing is the wifes company gives her a car allowance of $700.00 per month, and with the trade the new payment is only $200.00 per month and the insurance is only an additional $150.00 per year... Am I out of my head??? Part of me is telling me no, one car payment is enough, and the other part of me is telling me it's a great deal...... Someone tell me WTF.gif I should do.....

thanks in advance...
Crazyhippy
I was Way against the Titan when they came out (and when i saw yours) but i have been becoming more and more of a fan recently. They dont seem to do anything wrong....

I would expect the Armada to be more of the same. If you would buy another Titan, the Armada will be a good Choice.

Course Back in So-Cal no one needs 4wd poke.gif happy11.gif

BTW i have a hook up for superchargers for the Titan/ Armada if you need more HP biggrin.gif

BJH
Allan
Titans are way cool... Pull a cruise ship thhrough the Panama canal if ya need to.

Talk to Rick Ollah, he has one and apparently loves it...
Gint
The Armada is a Titan with extra sheetmetal. You had a 2WD, you know what they are.

I love my truck!

Click to view attachment
byndbad914
QUOTE(bmunday @ Aug 23 2006, 03:51 PM) *

I found an Armada 2004, fully loaded 32k miles on it 4 whl drive. I own my Explorer a 2003 with 38k miles on it, the thing has everything on it but it's not 4 whl drive..

Being in Colorado now, it's a nice feature to have. I plan on getting back to snow skiing and I would like the comfort of knowing my wife and I can get around.

Hey, so hopefully you are enjoying Co v. SoCal. I am still working on trying to get moved out to Denver area myself. Was going there, then maybe TX, but now back on the Denver idea.

We are on the same page - I have a Ford Lightning and if I move out there, want to get a Titan 4x4. The Armada looks nice too. I have been pricing the Titans out in fact - seem "reasonable" and look great IMO.

I had an Expedition before and would never make that mistake again. Nice truck, but a gutless wonder. Which brings me to BJH's point

BJH - I was going to look into supercharger kits for the Titan and since you mention it... what's the story? The Lightning is a POS in terms of fit and finish, but it is a freakin' rocket ship for a p/up. And I tow the race car with it, so I like the 450lb-ft of torque - I can climb any hill without any loss of speed.

Eric_Shea
gives her a car allowance of $700.00 per month, and with the trade the new payment is only $200.00 per month and the insurance is only an additional $150.00 per year..

With all that cypher'n Jethro... you forgot the $1000 gas bill lol3.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 23 2006, 04:26 PM) *

gives her a car allowance of $700.00 per month, and with the trade the new payment is only $200.00 per month and the insurance is only an additional $150.00 per year..

That's one of the other things holding me back. The good newws is she works from home, so it wont really be a daily driver. Neighbor hs one and he filled it up the other day, $75.00 for a full tank headbang.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Aug 23 2006, 04:23 PM) *

QUOTE(bmunday @ Aug 23 2006, 03:51 PM) *

I found an Armada 2004, fully loaded 32k miles on it 4 whl drive. I own my Explorer a 2003 with 38k miles on it, the thing has everything on it but it's not 4 whl drive..

Being in Colorado now, it's a nice feature to have. I plan on getting back to snow skiing and I would like the comfort of knowing my wife and I can get around.

Hey, so hopefully you are enjoying Co v. SoCal. I am still working on trying to get moved out to Denver area myself. Was going there, then maybe TX, but now back on the Denver idea.

We are on the same page - I have a Ford Lightning and if I move out there, want to get a Titan 4x4. The Armada looks nice too. I have been pricing the Titans out in fact - seem "reasonable" and look great IMO.

I had an Expedition before and would never make that mistake again. Nice truck, but a gutless wonder. Which brings me to BJH's point

BJH - I was going to look into supercharger kits for the Titan and since you mention it... what's the story? The Lightning is a POS in terms of fit and finish, but it is a freakin' rocket ship for a p/up. And I tow the race car with it, so I like the 450lb-ft of torque - I can climb any hill without any loss of speed.

byndbad914,

Been here before, fogot just how beautiful it was. I don't regret the move at all...
However the job market here in the Springs is a bit weak for Purchasing people..
I had the Titan and it's a great truck, I know the Armada is the smae truck, as Gint said with extra sheetmetal, but I just wnated to make sure they didn't have any added issues I didn't know about. The Explorer is ok, but it is gutless at this altitude, worse then at the lower elevation of California.
When you come out here, let me konw will meet you and the other Colo guy;s in Denver for dinner.... chowtime.gif beer3.gif
Have you got a job lined up for the move?
balljoint
I have heard it referred to as the Nissan Ramada. S'big.....go for it.
byndbad914
QUOTE(bmunday @ Aug 23 2006, 06:09 PM) *

Been here before, fogot just how beautiful it was. I don't regret the move at all...
However the job market here in the Springs is a bit weak for Purchasing people.

When you come out here, let me konw will meet you and the other Colo guy;s in Denver for dinner.... chowtime.gif beer3.gif

It is great to have less people and less congestion, but that tends to come with less employment options. That is the hold up actually - the job market is sorta depressed right now with the war effort sucking up gov't program $$. I had a couple leads at LockMartin and such, but my friend that works for them in Atlanta says their hiring procedures makes it nearly impossible to hire someone and he is battling his own hiring issues right now.

I am an aerospace engineer, so there is a few places out there, but getting hired without knowing someone in the company directly to champion my resume apparently means my resume ends up in some sort of HR black hole. And my friend can only do so much from Atlanta - like contact HR reps, but he can't force them to interview.

And I don't want to work for Boeing as that is a very volatile company - they will hire you on a Monday and lay you off on Friday without batting an eye if they lose a program.

Denver in general is rather depressed right now. Housing has been on a backwards slope for a year and foreclosures at their highest in history, which is good for me as a first-time buyer, so I want to get out there. I can forget ever buying a house in SoCal with prices as they are. And I am sick and tired of LA people frankly.

I...just...want...out biggrin.gif

If I get out there, I will be certain to let you know. A friend of mine from high school days has been out there for over 10yrs now (vacations are how I got to know Denver so well) and wouldn't come back. I am at the point that if someone gave me a house out here, I would probably sell it and move anyway thumb3d.gif Live on the profits until I find a job laugh.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Aug 23 2006, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(bmunday @ Aug 23 2006, 06:09 PM) *

However the job market here in the Springs is a bit weak for Purchasing people.

It is great to have less people and less congestion, but that tends to come with less employment options. That is the hold up actually - the job market is sorta depressed right now with the war effort sucking up gov't program $$. I had a couple leads at LockMartin and such, but my friend that works for them in Atlanta says their hiring procedures makes it nearly impossible to hire someone and he is battling his own hiring issues right now.

I am an aerospace engineer, so there is a few places out there, but getting hired without knowing someone in the company directly to champion my resume apparently means my resume ends up in some sort of HR black hole. And my friend can only do so much from Atlanta - like contact HR reps, but he can't force them to interview.

And I don't want to work for Boeing as that is a very volatile company - they will hire you on a Monday and lay you off on Friday without batting an eye if they lose a program.

Denver in general is rather depressed right now. Housing has been on a backwards slope for a year and foreclosures at their highest in history, which is good for me as a first-time buyer, so I want to get out there. I can forget ever buying a house in SoCal with prices as they are. And I am sick and tired of LA people frankly.

If I get out there, I will be certain to let you know. A friend of mine from high school days has been out there for over 10yrs now (vacations are how I got to know Denver so well) and wouldn't come back. I am at the point that if someone gave me a house out here, I would probably sell it and move anyway thumb3d.gif Live on the profits until I find a job laugh.gif

Good luck, keep us updated....
You won't regret the move..
Aaron Cox
great truck. my uncle works for nissan, and hooks us up...
Dad - 05 4dr 2wd titan
Me - 01 2wd 4dr frontier
sister - 01 xterra 2wd
mom- 01 Maxima SE

they run forever.... make sure the armade has had the brake recall done... they smoked rotors... and they give you new ones, and then use a harder pad to fix the situation LOL

AA <--- nissan fan
Gary
Have one, love it. 2004 - have just shy of 50k on it. Aside from oil changes, dealer repaired the brakes (under recall - got new rotors and pads up front, turned rotors and pads out back at the 30k mark), had the roof vibration issue taken care of (unique to 2004's) under a TSC, and put new tires on this month - bridgestone alenza's - they rock. She swallows 2 adults, 4 kids and two dogs with enough luggage for a long weekend. Tows like a dream (9200 lb rating if I recall right). Towed the 914 on a utility trailer from PA to CA, and brought 3,000# of stuff to WA from CA. Lotsa cool doodads too - side curtains all three rows, vehicle dynamic control, tire pressure monitoring, motorized rear door, etc. Good sound system. Really the only downside is she's pretty thirsty - havein't checked the gas mileage on a while, but was getting 15 MPG combined a while back.
marks914
If you ask me, all of thw Japanese trucks feel kinda flimsy.

Sheetmetal seels tinny, espescially on the Nissan. Alot of road noise, light, sloppy steering.

The foreign trucks are definately getting better, but htey are not quite there.

In my line of work I test drive just about every car and truck that is out there.

Mark

PS test drive a durango, you will be shocked.
rick 918-S
The Mother Ship.....
TINCAN914
Make no mistake I loved my Titan, just to small in the back with the extended cab, I needed a full cab. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any issues I was unaware of with the Armada.... Looks like were going to check it out tomorrow afternoon. If the wife has any say in the matter, we will be driving it home....

Thanks for the feedback... beerchug.gif

Rick,

Have you had the issue with the brakes like I and so many others have?
Brian Mifsud
my financial GURU Dave Ramsey recommends:...

if you want to live like the middle class.. act like the middle class (i.e. buy NEW cars at massive first 2-3 year depreciation)

if you want to live like a millionaire, let the other dope suffer the 60% depreciation in the first 3 years... then buy it with 30-40K miles on it..

www.daveramsey.com
goodwood73
QUOTE(Gary @ Aug 24 2006, 12:53 AM) *

had the roof vibration issue taken care of (unique to 2004's) under a TSC,

Watch out for the roof vibration. I rented one and it sounded like i was inside a bass drum when we hit a pot hole. I had to open the window to get some relief. Sounds like there is a TSB now to stiffin the large roof span. It felt like it had good power for such a large vehicle.

Paul
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Aug 24 2006, 05:33 AM) *

my financial GURU Dave Ramsey recommends:...

if you want to live like the middle class.. act like the middle class (i.e. buy NEW cars at massive first 2-3 year depreciation)

if you want to live like a millionaire, let the other dope suffer the 60% depreciation in the first 3 years... then buy it with 30-40K miles on it..

www.daveramsey.com

We have bought three cars brand new, just bought the last one a few months ago. Precisley why we are looking at used now. smile.gif
Part Pricer

The good thing is the wifes company gives her a car allowance of $700.00 per month

The good newws is she works from home

WTF.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Part Pricer @ Aug 24 2006, 05:54 AM) *

The good thing is the wifes company gives her a car allowance of $700.00 per month

The good newws is she works from home

WTF.gif

Sales, the company was kind enough to allow her to transfer from Cal to Colo and work from home... piratenanner.gif
She does need to travel from time to time, but so far limited. Weekly trip to Denver Boulder etc, but nothing to taxing.... Very Lucky..
andys
Did anyone mention the "dismal" gas mileage? Maybe some of the owners can chime in.....I know we tend to love what we own, but be honest. When I was truck hunting, I seriously considered the Titan (drove great, ammenities to boot!), but consumer feed back was hands down the same for what were the "cons." The word "dismal" was commonly used to describe the gas mileage. Many were in the single digit range!!

Recently got back from a Dental conference there. The depressed real estate market is a common topic. My business partner has a high-end property for sale in Evergreen. 4 years on the market; it's still not sold.

It's still hard for me to understand how first time buyers can afford housing in SoCal. $3000/mo house payments?? Creative financing plans?? I've seen the financials, and don't understand how they can do it.......My wife is a realtor.

Andys
TINCAN914
Andys,

I'm amazaed as well. We sold our house in OC for a nice profit, the couple that bought the house were doing two seperate loans with 100% financing. Based on the numbers, they would have a payment of approximatley 5k per month???
I don't know how they made a living, but they got the loans.. WTF.gif

My Titan squeezed high teens on the hwy, and low to mids around town. Not the greatest that's for sure. The wife has left to take a look at the Pathfinder as well. I hate to give up the room tht the Armada has, but the cost of gas is a factor, we need 4wd....

It's still hard for me to understand how first time buyers can afford housing in SoCal. $3000/mo house payments?? Creative financing plans?? I've seen the financials, and don't understand how they can do it.......My wife is a realtor.

Andys
[/quote]
p914
I had an 05 Pathfinder SE and it got @18-20 combined. It was a very comfortable ride. I sold it and bought an HHR LT. Now I get 30MPG. I didn't really need the Pathfinder size so I downsized. Another buying factor for the Pathfinder was I needed something for my business when I bought it.
914rrr
QUOTE(bmunday @ Aug 23 2006, 05:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 23 2006, 04:26 PM) *

That's one of the other things holding me back. The good newws is she works from home, so it wont really be a daily driver. Neighbor hs one and he filled it up the other day, $75.00 for a full tank headbang.gif

That's peanuts! Try filling up a Suburban with a 42 gallon tank! Lessee... 42x$3 = $126. blink.gif My 1/2 tank "top-offs" are in the $75 range!!! I've nicknamed it the Valdeez!

Mileage actually isn't bad for a barge like this, in the high teens in town and 20 MPG on the hwy (2WD). I really don't need something this big, but it is extremely comfy, especially for long trips.

If you were looking for something roomy w/4WD, you could get a killer deal on a 'burb now.
JB 914
We have an Armada 04

We love it. The gas mileage is crappy, but, what do you expect for a big F'N SUV? I didn't buy it for the mileage. Besides you wanna talk about crappy mileage then buy a BOAT!!

I bought it because it's HUGE inside with lots of legroom in 2nd row for BIG adults. It's our MOMMY BUS and we don't drive it except to school and the store, ect.

28K miles in two years this month. We had the brake problem and Nissan was good about fixing it with new calipers/rotors ect.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.