Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little HP guessing game.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
WRX914
Alright,

I am getting my Teener/Suby dyno'd either today or tomorrow. It is a 2004 EJ20T with a custom up-pipe and down-pipe to and from the turbo, custom exhaust and Ecu-Tech licensed ECU reprogram. What do you think the rear wheel HP will be?

My guess... 240

popcorn[1].gif
grantsfo
How much boost?
JmuRiz
243.5 wink.gif
WRX914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 24 2006, 10:17 AM) *

How much boost?

Should be around 15-16 lbs
TonyAKAVW
bondo
Is this like "The Price is Right"? Do we lose if we go over? smile.gif
BMXerror
What the hell is an EJ20T ? av-943.gif
Mark D.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 24 2006, 10:08 AM) *
What do you think the rear wheel HP will be?

More than mine. sad.gif
slap.gif

biggrin.gif
Crazyhippy
not enough... or 265, which is still not enough (but what is?)

I will tell you this, my highly calibrated seat of pants can feel no difference between 18psi and 20psi... Damn turbo starts blowing too much hot air.

BJH
Crazyhippy
It is what the type 4 would have become if it were still made... 2 liters of major trout smacking ability chair.gif happy11.gif aktion035.gif

BJH

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 24 2006, 11:56 AM) *

What the hell is an EJ20T ? av-943.gif
Mark D.

grantsfo
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 24 2006, 10:48 AM) *

How much boost?

I'll say 231 HP at the wheels. Wonder what kind of torque numbers you will see? Those are almost always impressive with turbo's.
WRX914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 24 2006, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 24 2006, 10:48 AM) *

How much boost?

I'll say 231 HP at the wheels. Wonder what kind of torque numbers you will see? Those are almost always impressive with turbo's.

Whatever it is, I will be posting the dyno numbers when I get them...

Allan
Brown.
WRX914
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 24 2006, 12:44 PM) *

Brown.

HUH?
confused24.gif
904svo
269 Hp with 396 ft lb torque.
turboman808
I hope it's only 200 finger.gif biggrin.gif
plymouth37
248 driving.gif
Ferg
237.5 biggrin.gif

Ferg
banksyinoz
idea.gif should be interesting

1bar boost (stock turbo i presume) wrx ej20t i presume

porsche box

should pull hard what wheels are on the car

is the intercooler getting inlet temps down

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif drooley.gif

confused24.gif cant wait to

SEE A VIDEO boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

ps be careful if u wind up the boost too far ,,like over 18psi they tend to go

hey we need an emotocon that goes red then explodes biggrin.gif

good luck
Sammy
Crazyhippy
17.98hp and 35.61 ft-lbs

BJH

WRX914
Should know today. Hopefully, I will be picking up my car today and driving home to Vegas tomorrow. If they run the dyno today, I will have them email me the results and post it here later.

Keith
VegasRacer
a duce anna quarter Click to view attachment
WRX914
Car is done!!!! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

Should have the dyno results soon! Just bought my plane ticket to San Diego to pick her up tonight!

Hell ya!
TonyAKAVW
Congrats! can't wait to see that dyno plot.

-Tony
pek771
305 RWHP, just before it overboosts into Subaru oblivion.
TravisNeff
popcorn[1].gif
WRX914
the car is done, and on the dyno now. I had them turn down the boost to 10-12lbs due to the excessive heat here in Vegas. Should have the results soon.
VegasRacer
Should have the results soon.

popcorn[1].gif
Scott Carlberg
Now are you GIVING the car away IF we guess Exactly the hp numbers??

Yeah, I didn't think so. beer.gif

How about some specs on that motor, for us non-Sube followers??
Allan
fiid
This is such a tease.... Can't wait to see the graphs....
Crazyhippy
It's a DOHC 2.0Liter Flat 4. Turbo charged to 14psi from the factory.

BJH
turboman808
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 25 2006, 09:59 AM) *

the car is done, and on the dyno now. I had them turn down the boost to 10-12lbs due to the excessive heat here in Vegas. Should have the results soon.

You mean my flimsy little honda runs more boost then your wrx motor. Come on be a man!!!

Cars not cool unless you can say it runs 1 bar.
TravisNeff
poke.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
fiid
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 25 2006, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 25 2006, 09:59 AM) *

You mean my flimsy little honda runs more boost then your wrx motor. Come on be a man!!!

Cars not cool unless you can say it runs 1 bar.

Since the motor does run 1 bar stock - I think you'd be safe with that ... since that is the stock setting, and that was engineered for use all over the US.. incl Vegas, New Mexico, Arizona and other hot places....

Do you have other motives for dialing down the boost (keeping the car going in a striaght line?) ...????

JPB
I say about 235 and still not enough to go straight line with the ricers!!!

beer.gif I'd aim for 300 or bust.
RockinOldSchool
Is it a USDM EJ or a JDM? Cuz there's a pretty good difference between the two. Stock the US EJ runs around 237 horses where as the JDM runs around 278 due to a different turbo and a few tuning differences IIRC. All I have to say is holy crap! My '02 WRX pulled hard and all I had was aftermarket up-pipe, downpipe, exhaust and electronic boost controller. I can't imagine that power in a 914. (Yet my plans are headed in the direction of an STi engine happy11.gif )
plymouth37
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 25 2006, 10:59 AM) *

WHAT???!!!
high boost = biggrin.gif burnout.gif
low boost = sad.gif barf.gif

why did you have them turn down the boost? Is heat really that much of a problem? please elaborate.... who is making you do this? go kick them in the balls.
banksyinoz
beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif popcorn[1].gif chairfall.gif too late pissed now waiting for results av-943.gif now just rollin on floor biggrin.gif
BMXerror
popcorn[1].gif The suspense is killing me.
Mark D.
WRX914
I have a bad turbo, only producing 12 lbs of boost. mad.gif I got my dyno run and only came in at a measly 192hp. The guys at Crawford tell me that the stock turbo with their fuel mapping easily pushes 16lbs. I am getting a new turbo tomorrow and getting a free dyno run locally to verify the anticipated 260+ wheel hp. It is still fun, pulls hard all the way thru 120 in third then I back off. I did do a fun run here in vegas and even with the lower hp's... I can get in alot of trouble. The saga continues...

dry.gif
Aaron Cox
bad subie turbo = good life on a type 4 LOL
WRX914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 26 2006, 08:00 PM) *

bad subie turbo = good life on a type 4 LOL

Aaron,

If it is bad, you are welcome to have it if you want...

tx

Keith
Aaron Cox
LOL....

just trying to turn that frown upside down smile.gif

still in san diego i assume? could be worse.

Grab a sponge/surfboard and hit the beach during this moderate swell smile.gif

AA
WRX914
actually, not a frown at all. I am pleased, just not estatic about it. It is right there... I am home in Vegas, drove like a charm. Hauls ass, just not what I expected. It will be right soon, I dont do anything half ass...

LvSteveH
Keith was nice enough to come over this morning to show me the car..... Then he insisted I drive it. I don't know about most of you, but I'm not to eager to hand over the keys on a car that's taken several years and lots of saving to build. He did insist... so.... zoom zoom. Now I didn't have my driving flip flops on, but I did my best.

Car runs great. It's right around that magical balance point for a 914 which I've always thought was 200hp, 200lbs of torque, and 2000 pounds. Of course it's a little heavier than that, but the balance and power delivery are smooth, without being overwhelming. It's set up perfectly to drive hard with plenty of margin for error, kind of reminds me of John's car with the 3.0L, just a bit faster. That's a huge compliment by the way, John's car sets the bar for a car that does everything well.

The gearing is perfect, the 904 main shaft and lower 2nd gear acting as 1st is ideal for this application. No lag taking off, and nice splits through the gears. If it was a narrow body car, I'd say leave it alone, it's just right; but considering the amount of meat and the flares, I'm sure he'll go find his 40hp and put it to good use.

I got to take him for a ride in the 3.6L SC. While not as peaky or dynamic as his car, it pulls really well and is the perfect daily driver, I'll be sad to see it go.

John's going to have some competition for best of show at RRC, Keith's car has beautiful lines and is really close to what a 2006 914 would be like in terms of style and performance. Don't worry, it still shifts like a 914 though. wink.gif
WRX914
Thanks Steve, you are a pure class act...

Your compliments mean the world to me.

Keith
TravisNeff
Was that 192 at the wheels or was that estimated at the crank? if that was WHP 192 works out to 221 at the crank (adding 15% for drivetrain loss).

And if 260 WHP was the goal, with drivetrain loss is 299 at the crank.

Even with low boost that must haul ass!
WRX914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 28 2006, 03:30 PM) *

Was that 192 at the wheels or was that estimated at the crank? if that was WHP 192 works out to 221 at the crank (adding 15% for drivetrain loss).

And if 260 WHP was the goal, with drivetrain loss is 299 at the crank.

Even with low boost that must haul ass!

Yea, that is at the rear wheels. It is fun, but for $125.oo to buy a used turbo that will increase me to say 240-260's sounds like cheap power to me...

but it is nice to hear the "squirls barking" between shifts due to the blow off valve.

burnout.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.