Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Significant" 914s/Mid-engined Porsches in SoCal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RogerYellow914
PCA Riverside Region has an annual event at the Lake Arrowhead Village. This year the event takes place on Oct 14. I participated last year and have been invited to attend again this year.

The idea behind the event is to see the progression of Porsche models through the years. And they do this to some extent. But, the why it has been organized the last couple of years the 914s are usually stuck in a remote or hidden location. (Last year my car, a 912E and a 924 were put off in a very low traffic area of the Village. They would have been seen more in the corral in the parking lot.)

I complained a bit to the event organizer and suggested that the 914 and 914/6 should be in a line-up with mid-engined Porsches. Dream line-up would be: 356-001, 550, 914, 914/6, 916, 986, 987, Carrerra GT and Cayman. He said he'd do it if I could find the a 550 to participate. Alternatively, he would give the 914s a more prominate position if I could round up some "significant" cars.

So, anyone in the Club have a line on a 550 (real or nice replica)? Are there any "significant" 914s in the area that the owner would be willing to display? "Significant" would mean something with a race history, an special owner history or some type of special modification.

I'd be happy to give up my spot in the event to give the 914 some better recognition.

Thanks,

Roger
Cap'n Krusty
You forgot the 904, which was offered (and sold) in a street configuration. The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
He said he'd do it if I could find the a 550 to participate

Tell him to go... (nevermind).
RogerYellow914
Cap'n,

You're right. Big oversight on my part!

Eric,

They actually had someone last year who said they'd bring a 550. But, they backed out at the last minute. Someone did bring an American Roadster. It was interesting to see how many people just walk by or make dispariging remarks about it becuase it was plan and had patina. Only the PCA people had any appreciatiation of the rarity and the "if it doesn't make it go faster, it's not needed" design. PCNA brought a Carrera GT.

-Roger
Eric_Shea
Sorry Roger... I just hate that attitude. The "I'll do it if" attitude.

Why wouldn't a nice original 914-6 be significant enough? What a rare car. Mark my words, very soon these people will be seeing these cars in a different light.

Why would a nice 912E be relegated to a low traffic area?

Every one of these cars from #1 to a lowly 914 or 924 to a C-GT should be celebrated for what it is.

Off soapbox.

Find Armando. He'll probably know of a 914-6/GT in the area. I restored some calipers for a client in the SB area that has one. There's a LeMans winning one sitting on a trailer in that neck of the woods. That oughta wet the PCA weinie's whistle...
SLITS
I was gonna finish Jack's statement...tell them to go...

but I won't.

That group of whine and wheezers gives me hives.

My 914 is "significant" 'cause it's mine. My six conversion is "significant" 'cause I did it (if I ever finish it).

"Significant" kiss my white owl.

Jim Burke knows how I feel.

If they want something "significant" tell them to sign up for the RRC.....we'll show them a lot of things significant besides candlelight dinners by the lake and expensive vinegar.

OH BTW, if I haven't pissed you off, call Glenn Sager at Pelican Parts. He has a beautiful original 914/6.
kdfoust
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 24 2006, 07:09 PM) *

I was gonna finish Jack's statement...tell them to go...

but I won't.

That group of whine and wheezers gives me hives.

My 914 is "significant" 'cause it's mine. My six conversion is "significant" 'cause I did it (if I ever finish it).

"Significant" kiss my white owl.

Jim Burke knows how I feel.

If they want something "significant" tell them to sign up for the RRC.....we'll show them a lot of things significant besides candlelight dinners by the lake and expensive vinegar.

OH BTW, if I haven't pissed you off, call Glenn Sager at Pelican Parts. He has a beautiful original 914/6.

agree.gif

Sorry Roger, I don't think we've ever even met so I hate to offer advice, BUT, tell 'em to go pound sand...

I, along with another SoCal teener, put our cars in this display in either 2002 or 2003. After getting all the "significant" cars, rare and important rides like the '76 thermo reactor S and the like arranged, our babies were "organized" in a side yard. A nice '72 1.7 and an original -6. A Boxster was keyed that was parked along the lakefront display that day. They -6 guy and I took turns watching our cars for one another so they wouldn't get keyed.

So I know who to respond to that offer:
finger.gif

I guess I'm still annoyed by the experience.

Good luck,
Kevin
RogerYellow914
I appreciate your views. Kevin, I remeber seeing your metalic green ride with Sean's -6. My car, the 912E and the 924 were parked in the same area last year. At least last year an original -6 was parked next to the lake between a SWB 911 and another 911. And to be fair, a track ready 914 was parked with the other racing cars (a Cup car and a 930) in a prominent location.

Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist. I think any club is what the members make of it. And I'm trying to make this one better.

I figure the more active a 914 owner can be, the less one can be ingnored. If I don't like the wine and cheese parties, I can volunteer to organize something that is to my liking. It just takes time.

-Roger

Brando
Roger,

The problem here lies in how Burke has handled events with us before. One of the first auto-crosses last year, and the cancelled autocross this year, also wanting us to show up to their big Zone-8 festival of peed so they would have enough entrants to not need to close the event. Appearantly RSR rubbed the POC the wrong way about something and POC is hosting a bigger/better/more-people event on the same day as the RSR festival of speed now. When we do show up in strong numbers it's to a group who wish to look down and belittle us and our 'volkswagen' club. We don't care who made the cars, who branded them or who imported them -- we just don't want to be invited to a group where most of what they want to do is treat us like crap and talk about their pocketbook size when we just want to have a fun event.
kdfoust
QUOTE(RogerYellow914 @ Aug 27 2006, 04:27 PM) *

I appreciate your views. Kevin, I remeber seeing your metalic green ride with Sean's -6. My car, the 912E and the 924 were parked in the same area last year. At least last year an original -6 was parked next to the lake between a SWB 911 and another 911. And to be fair, a track ready 914 was parked with the other racing cars (a Cup car and a 930) in a prominent location.

Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist. I think any club is what the members make of it. And I'm trying to make this one better.

I figure the more active a 914 owner can be, the less one can be ingnored. If I don't like the wine and cheese parties, I can volunteer to organize something that is to my liking. It just takes time.

-Roger

Hi Roger. That's a great attitude to have and I hope that you can effect the changes you're visualizing.

Regards,
Kevin
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.