Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need help with clutch cable replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brownaar
Let me try this again, reworded post. I've got to replace my clutch cable, and I'm having trouble visualizing the pedal cluster attachment. I've searched and read threads, scrutinized parts diagrams and factory manuals, but I just don't get it. It's really tight in that area and I just can't tell what I'm seeing and how it all fits together. I'm thinking of pulling the pedal cluster loose so I can see things better. Any good advice? Anyone out there that can shoot some photos of a unit out of the car with the cable attachment to explain the process.

Thanks in advance
john rogers
The clutch cable has a threaded end that screws into a clevis that fits over the arm that is attached to the clutch pedal through it's connecting tube. There should be a jam nut on the cable at both ends so it will not unscrew due to the pulling forces. The clevis has a hole through both sides near the end and a hardened pin with a safety clip goes through the clevis and the pedal arm and the safety clip snaps over the cable. The clip can either be snaped on from the top or the bottom depending on who replaced the last cable. To get into the work area there is a small cover on top of the tunnel that has a sheetmetal screw holding it down. To see in from the left side it is easiest to remove the accelerator pedal and the floorboard and use a large trouble light to look into the openings. It is usually really dirty in there so a really good vacuuming will help some. Since I am getting older I use 6 or 8 of the wife's throw pillows on the floor of the car and lay on my stomach from the passenger side of the car and take my time. Loosen the adjusting nuts completly at the clutch so the cable is very slack and then a screwdriver can be used to pop the safety clip loose and then needle nose pliers can be used to pull it out the left side. I usually pull the cable end up through the hole on top and un screw the clevis and then you can pull the cable out from under the car. Assembly is just the reverse of the above, but make sure the outer cable seats completely over the clutch tube where it exits the fire wall and use TWO nuts at the trans end.
brownaar
John,
Thanks. That helps a lot. I thought the clip might slip through and hold the clevis to the pedal, but I wasn't sure.
d7n7master
How 'bout a pic to help visualize whatz required???
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(brownaar @ Aug 24 2006, 02:57 PM) *

John,
Thanks. That helps a lot. I thought the clip might slip through and hold the clevis to the pedal, but I wasn't sure.

i just got on my belly with a small round mirror, a flashlight, and a print out or two... =-)

you can see the clutch lever with a ball on it here.
IPB Image
john rogers
Dr Roger is close but the ball ends are for the throttle rod and cable ends. The inner shaft in the picture with the metal end and the bushing is where the clutch clevis attaches. Note you can barely see the clutch pedal as the spring pulls it forward so you can unsnap the clip through the opening on the left side of the tunnel. Once the new cable has been attached firmly, I use a bungee cord to pull the pedal back up and hold it in place while I attach the rear adjuster.
Dave_Darling
You can pull the throttle pedal off of the ball-end of its pushrod and fold it down out of the way. That's how I do the job, at least.

--DD
brownaar
Gary,
I've looked at that diagram a dozen times. Those things drive me nuts sometimes. I was previously confused because part number 8, the nut, looks like it could go on the end of part number 10 to hold it to the clutch pedal end. Also, this diagram doesn't show the clevis or the cable. The factory parts manual shows all the parts in the usual "exploded" format, but there is little detail to the drawings. It all makes more sense now thanks to everyone's help.
CHAFF
I wish I had one of them nice shiny ones.

Cevan
I'm trying to remove the pedal assembly. As you can see from the picture, I've removed the pulley on the tranny and pulled the whole assembly out abit. I've unclipped the metal clip attached to the pin. Should it now just push out? It seems in there pretty good.

Also, you can see from the picture I've cut grooves in the bolts that hold the pedal on but they aren't budging. Are the bolts accessible from below. I was going to try and heat them.

Chris Pincetich
That clip holding the clutch cable on is attached to the pin, and now that you've got the round clip part off you can pull the pin out, up in that photo. Try pushing the pin up from the bottom instead of pulling and breaking the thin metal of the clip.

With the pedal cluster in, access panel off, the throttle unhooked at the ball, pedal board unhooked but not removed, the clutch cable can be installed....I did it 2 weeks ago. Good luck
John
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Aug 24 2006, 02:10 PM) *

How 'bout a pic to help visualize whatz required???

Roger,

That is a 911 pedal cluster. The clutch helper spring, the lack of a brake light switch, and the master cylinder brace are all giveaways.
John
I'm trying to remove the pedal assembly. As you can see from the picture, I've removed the pulley on the tranny and pulled the whole assembly out abit. I've unclipped the metal clip attached to the pin. Should it now just push out? It seems in there pretty good.

Also, you can see from the picture I've cut grooves in the bolts that hold the pedal on but they aren't budging. Are the bolts accessible from below. I was going to try and heat them.

It looks like you may need to cut the rest of the heads off then drill out the rusted in place bolts ad re-tap the drilled out holes.

If there isn't too much rust, you can not access both of those bolts from under the car. At least one of them is in the floor stiffener near the front of the drivers side floor. I think only one may be exposed.

That clutch cable clevis pin should push out of the clutch cable clevis. Kind of upward in your picture. If all else fails, and you plan on using a new clutch cable, cut the cable and deal with it outside of the car.

just my $0.02
mrhurtalot
congrats you are diong the official most fun part of a 914. HOORAY

my cable snapped one day whilst driving. woohoo.

almsot commited suicide trying to figure out how to replace it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.