Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: has anyone dealt with these guys?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
https://www.gex.com/mainframe.htm

some of their prices seem reasonable.

Late Type II & IV (Bus, Van)
1972-1983
& 914 Porsche 1970-1976
Long Block Engines

All GEX Long Block engines are Hot Run Tested. This means that we temporarily install carburetion and other accessories to actually fire them up to run our
914 Porsche

Part # Description Price Core
GX 10919 1800 cc, 70-72, fuel injected, breather pipes, with sensor
Price Core

$ 1,499.00 $ 300.00

GX 10920 1800 cc, 73-74, fuel injected, with sensor only
Price Core

1,499.00 300.00

GX 10927 2.0 liter, 74-76, fuel injected, breather pipes, with sensor

Price Core
1,899.00 500.00

GX 10928 2.0 liter, 74-76, fuel injected, with sensor, 2 holes each head
Price Core
1,899.00 500.00

All GEX Premium stock engines are covered by our nationwide, no hassle 12 months or 12,000 mile PARTS and LABOR warranty. See warranty card for details. An optional 36 month or 36,000 mile warranty is also available on all stock engines listed here for an additional $199.00.
SLS/PR00004 36 Month or 36,000 Mile Warranty $ 199.00

To make that engine run cooler, smoother and longer, we recommend that you consider the following options:
Electronic Balancing - For longer life and a smooth running engine.
Counterweighted Crankshaft - Allows engine to run smoother and ultimately to last longer.
Maxi Oil Pump - Closer tolerances than a stock pump, provides added volume and increased oil pressure during low speed operation.
Installation Kit - Now is the time to replace those worn out or missing accessories.

The same 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty applies to engines with these options.

Counterweighted Crankshaft
Maxi Oil Pump

SLS/LBR/BAL Electronic Balancing $ 169.00

CR 039105101/CXUP Counterweighted Crankshaft (upgrade) 199.00

OP 1829 Maxi Oil Pump 93.50

IK 11210 Installation Kit Type II, 72-73 399.00

IK 11215 Installation Kit Type II, 74-75 399.00

IK 11228 Installation Kit Type II, 76-79 399.00

IK 11228V Installation Kit Type II, 80-83, Van 439.00

These engines do not include flywheel and are available only with rebuilt heads. Also see the GEX POWER MASTER engines and options on the next page.

blitZ
You should probably do a search here for GEX. I don't believe they are fondly thought of.
fatlando
QUOTE(blitZ @ Aug 24 2006, 03:05 PM) *

You should probably do a search here for GEX. I don't believe they are fondly thought of.

thats why i asked...you guys are always full of the K-nowledge!!

thanx
Cap'n Krusty
The most common engine failures on T4s involve overheating in some form. Their warranty specifically excludes ANY damage that MAY be attributed to overheating. You can bet any warranty claim you make will end up being attributed to overheating. I've seen .040 undersize rod journals in their motors, and all sorts of stuff I wouldn't do. The Cap'n
davep
How can they even run it without a flywheel?
The reman longblocks that dealers would provide were done in Toronto at a big facility. They always came with flywheels and cost more than that 20 years ago. Color me suspicious.
type4org
QUOTE(fatlando @ Aug 24 2006, 05:55 PM) *

https://www.gex.com/mainframe.htm

some of their prices seem reasonable.

You should hang out in some of the aircooled VW forums and lists some time. The verdict is that GEX sells you complete and utter garbage. I'd rather drive a rusty spike into my eyes than purchase anything from them. Even if they were the last vendor on earth.

Mark Henry
Lets see........ idea.gif

RUN FOREST RUN

stromberg.gif

sheeplove.gif

pain30.gif

post-2-1117899824.gif

dead horse.gif

aaron.gif

hitfan[1].gif
MecGen
Hey

I am surprised more people didn't respond negitively....
As stated above their reputation is utter garbage... confused24.gif I did some serious hunting for a motor a couple years back and had a very honest counterman, that distributes their product, wisper something (junk) to that effect as I had my credit card # ready...too many comebacks and weak on the "customer service" side of things.

I looked in the the air cooled clubs/forums and was not impressed with what I found. I never delt with them, GEX, personaly, but would like to hear from someone that did. Maybe things changed.

Buyer beware

Later

beerchug.gif

type4org
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 24 2006, 08:36 PM) *

aaron.gif

theexperience_hud.gif

Well, I'm politically incorrect with the best of them, but I feel personally insulted by equating gay with bad. Not funny.

JPB
av-943.gif Nice use of smilies!

agree.gif They shure have nice adds though!

GEX, gorgeously engineered Xcrement
Mark Henry
I have seen their work stromberg.gif

I have been asked to fix their work, I won't pissoff.gif

I have a couple of their heads here, great big blobs of weld in the ports, seat work that will make you barf.gif

I have better turds floating in my septic tank
JPB
QUOTE(type4org @ Aug 24 2006, 08:42 PM) *

aaron.gif

theexperience_hud.gif

Well, I'm politically incorrect with the best of them, but I feel personally insulted by equating gay with bad. Not funny.

Perhaps he approached his notion more acumenicaly than secularily.

beer.gif If sex is so personal, why do gays parade? To me its a contradiction?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(type4org @ Aug 24 2006, 08:42 PM) *

aaron.gif

theexperience_hud.gif

Well I WAS deleting that part but since you beat me to it and now that's useless...

BITE ME

JPB
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 24 2006, 08:49 PM) *

I have seen their work stromberg.gif

I have been asked to fix their work, I won't pissoff.gif

I have a couple of their heads here, great big blobs of weld in the ports, seat work that will make you barf.gif

I have better turds floating in my septic tank

With all this bad press, I don't see how they can afford them adds and still disapoint over and over again? WTF.gif

beer.gif Must be the lowball prices.LOL
Bleyseng
Total garabage engines...do a search at thesamba.com baywindow bus forum for tons of stories.. av-943.gif
type4org
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 24 2006, 08:57 PM) *
Well I WAS deleting that part but since you beat me to it and now that's useless...

BITE ME

I wasn't aware there were forum members with the ability or interest in cleanig up. Sorry for the intrusion in that case wink.gif

type4org
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 24 2006, 08:54 PM) *

I can't follow the jump to sex here, sorry. Gay people don't "parade for sex". Do you know anyone in person who is gay? I don't think you do. otherwise you wouldn't say that smile.gif

JPB
Gotta stand for something Mark and it just came out as it did. Like Clinton said,"to please everyone is a direct path to failure!" I go with natural selection and the results there of. If they had thier way they would disapear in one generation. I guess they never had thought of that?

beer.gif Live and ..........
JPB
QUOTE(type4org @ Aug 24 2006, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 24 2006, 08:54 PM) *

I can't follow the jump to sex here, sorry. Gay people don't "parade for sex". Do you know anyone in person who is gay? I don't think you do. otherwise you wouldn't say that smile.gif

Sorry to stir the pot just being bad. happy11.gif

As for gays well, I work with some on the job and get a little more attention than I'd like but hey, they are decent and fun to be around. My last four girlfriends were all bis and I can't seem to get one that is 100% straight! This part kinda bothers me and I can't seem to shake this curse off.

beer.gif Me cursed not them.LOL
Allan
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 24 2006, 06:33 PM) *

My last four girlfriends were all bis
beer.gif Me cursed not them.LOL

Lucky bastard...
Al Meredith
30 minutes ago I removed from the trunk of a car a NEW VW engine. It came in a VW AUDI box from Brazil or Mexico. 1600 came with a new oil cooler, spark plugs, oil pressure sender and flywheel. About $1300 + freight. That is a deal. If only they were still making TY4s. AL
Air_Cooled_Nut
I have a couple friends who've aquired stromberg.gif engines in the car they bought. Failure soon followed. My friend Brian and I dropped his T3 engine in my garage because we needed to retorque the heads and install the T3 cool tins (they were missing) and swap the cooling tins at the rear because they were each on the wrong side. That was odd.

Don't do it unless you like wasting money and long for disappointment.
Joe Bob
If you think GEX is gud....I would suggest you use Motor Meister instead....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.