Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More ignition observations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
SO I just put the Mallory Hyfire VI AL in the car. new NGK plugs gappedto .045.
went up on the idle jets increased theaccelerator volume and changed the main gas air correction jet to one size richer.

So the car ran great before the install. drove it around today in my normal spirited manner. happy11.gif
Found I needed more gas all over.

car is now officially faster still and the rev limiter is going to be nice too.

So Mallory Distributor Mallory Pro E coil Mallory Hyfire box. Hey it runs gud.

2 day Autocross this weekend in Columbus Mississippi invited Charles mac to co drive. Should be a good time.
Aaron Cox
hell yeah!

it rocks.. you can HEAR The spark.

im running .050 gaps...
34 vents
135 mains, 195 airs, 55 idles, F11's

8.3:1 2.0
Joe Ricard
Yea Idles area whole 55 now up from 53 mains 140 air is 175.
I may have to go up on mains to 145 and start with 195 air and work my way to a good mixture for WOT power.

Well I can clearly hear the coil making a whining noise. can't hear a spark. But in my old age, I didn't put the last plug wire back on after installing new plugs. car fired rigt up and was kinda idling wierd Hmm look around and Damn it plug wire was off. Carefully put it back on it was trying to arc to anything close enough. SNAP SNAP SNAP.

Freaking lightening bolt.

bd1308
Can you still touch the wires with the car running?

b
Joe Ricard
Yes Magnacor wires have a good dielectric cover.
Plus there isn't a phenolic adapter like a stock unit. These are more or less like an American plug connection. with a boot and rubber cover for the hole in the tin.
Jake Raby
I have gotten 10% more power from a Hyfire VI install and a .050 plug gap over the std Mallory on a higher CR engine... Last week I dynoed a land speed engine that made 14% more torque with the Hyfire enabled than without it! The owner was right next to me and was baffled! He already has 3 records with the car!

generally it does allow more jet to be ran and thats when the power is notable..

I stick with 100% Mallory parts and never mix and match.

We'll be doing a dynocast of an ignition system shootout in October. We'll visit all the components and will be broadcasting live as we gather results!

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 25 2006, 05:47 AM) *

Plus there isn't a phenolic adapter like a stock unit. These are more or less like an American plug connection. with a boot and rubber cover for the hole in the tin.

yeah, you gotta change one end of your coil wire to an amurican one LOL.....

i run the 8.5mm aurora wires from AC.net, freakin burly ass wires man....

oh, ask clayton about the time i was diagnosing a misfire in the CDI box....

60,000 volts up my arm LOL chairfall.gif
Joe Ricard
Well I'm up to 150's on the main. It was BAD lean 140 all the way down to a 175 air
up to 145 200 air then 180 air Just about got itwith a 175 air.

So 150 with 180 air and see where this goes.
Got to go find another nieghbor hood. I was getting the evil eye head shake thing. OOPS. it's all Chris Foley's fault for makin this loud ass Header.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 25 2006, 08:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 25 2006, 05:47 AM) *

yeah, you gotta change one end of your coil wire to an amurican one LOL.....

i run the 8.5mm aurora wires from AC.net, freakin burly ass wires man....

oh, ask clayton about the time i was diagnosing a misfire in the CDI box....

60,000 volts up my arm LOL chairfall.gif

60,000 volts up your arm? Well that explains a lot.
URY914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 25 2006, 04:49 AM) *

Last week I dynoed a land speed engine that made 14% more torque with the Hyfire enabled than without it! The owner was right next to me and was baffled! He already has 3 records with the car!

Jake, is that the black 356 car from Ft. Lauderdale?

Joe Ricard
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 25 2006, 12:01 PM) *

Last week I dynoed a land speed engine that made 14% more torque with the Hyfire enabled than without it! The owner was right next to me and was baffled! He already has 3 records with the car!

Is someone hi-jacking my freaking THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally decided on 150 gas and 200 air. What a freaking pain. Not the optimum weather for making power. 98 degrees 90% humidity
I will probably end up tweaking some more tomorrow at the Autocross. Hey I got 350 miles to figure out WTF I need to do.
Throttle repsonse is pretty crisp and pulls hard through the idle jets. Pulls OK through 5500 RPM just looking for a bit more. I will probably end up drilling out some main jets.
Jake Raby
At your elevation I'd expect those to be the sweet numbers with 36 venturis..

Don't rely on the AFR meter solely, seat of the pants supercedes what the meter says.

Also, aim for 13:1-13.3:1, thats the power point where we see the biggest, fattest torque curves and peak power.

You might try some advance changes too, if you want more top end retard the timing a couple of degrees.

You need EGT gauges, with them tuning is infinite and you can toss the AFR meter
Joe Ricard
Yea AFR can really screw you up when you go too rich and bog down the sender.

gauge was still saying LEAN. Pulled spark plug and it was sooty black.

So leaned out the mains and whala more power. Like you said AFR gauge can lie.

I know you got the EGT sensor adapters to go inbetween the stubs and header. Cuz I seen them in your tool box.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 25 2006, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 25 2006, 12:01 PM) *

Is someone hi-jacking my freaking THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally decided on 150 gas and 200 air. What a freaking pain. Not the optimum weather for making power. 98 degrees 90% humidity
I will probably end up tweaking some more tomorrow at the Autocross. Hey I got 350 miles to figure out WTF I need to do.
Throttle repsonse is pretty crisp and pulls hard through the idle jets. Pulls OK through 5500 RPM just looking for a bit more. I will probably end up drilling out some main jets.

damn joe! 150 gas??? your cam must be way huge or something.... i feel (guess?) i am kinda fat with my 135's!! maybe i will try a 140 and see.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.