Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you identify this paddock?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
On another board that I visit, this picture was posted in a thread about closed-top prototypes. The thread morphed into, "Where was this picture taken?"

Now, the best clues for trying to come up with the answer seem to be possibly identifying the cars in the background.

Can anyone narrow it down?

Click to view attachment
nbscooters
It looks like its at Roger Penske's place, California Speedway. I believe I have een that blue car in the backround.
URY914
I see four 914's

What board is this from?
effutuo101
and it looks like the sail of a 5th in front of the black tool box, and a green 914 in front of the white and orange car. Willow springs?
T/R racer
I race in the HSR vintage series and those Porsches do also. A lot of GTP cars run in HSR so it is fitting that the one pictured would be there. Can't identify the track though. HSR runs primarily in the east (except Miller this past July). The regular schedule includes Sebring, Daytona, Watkins Glen, Barber, Road Atlanta, VIR and Savannah. Hope this helps.

Looking closer at the truck on the left that is Zotz Racing out of Florida who runs the full series of HSR.
sww914
A view of a couple of license plates sure would be nice.
URY914
That's a Lola Group C car that never raced in IMSA. I've seen that car at east coast HSR races. I know it has raced at Daytona.

I could beat it in a an a/x. biggrin.gif
Part Pricer

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been informed that the location where this picture was taken is Sebring. I really didn't realize that there were so many 914s in the picture until I started to try to determine the location. I was looking mostly at the car in the foreground.

As to the car in the foreground, Paul nailed it. It is a Lola T92-10. It is a Group C car that was built in 1992. It is one of three made. It has specs that would make Paul jealous. It weighs 1,700 lbs. and is powered by a 4 litre V10 Judd engine that puts out 650+ bhp.

I'd like to see how this one would fare at an AX against Paul and his 914. biggrin.gif
URY914
Make the course VERY tight with a few 180 degree turns and I'd beat him. But the course can't have any straight sections over 50'. biggrin.gif

I have some pictures of that bad boy at LeMans.

URY914
Paul,

Here is where the picture came from...

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/lola/110...109278853ss.htm
effutuo101
So, I count 6 914's in the picture. Anybody on this board?
maf914
QUOTE(Part Pricer @ Aug 25 2006, 10:09 AM) *

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been informed that the location where this picture was taken is Sebring. I really didn't realize that there were so many 914s in the picture until I started to try to determine the location. I was looking mostly at the car in the foreground.

As to the car in the foreground, Paul nailed it. It is a Lola T92-10. It is a Group C car that was built in 1992. It is one of three made. It has specs that would make Paul jealous. It weighs 1,700 lbs. and is powered by a 4 litre V10 Judd engine that puts out 650+ bhp.

I didn't think it was Sebring because the pavement in the photo looks too smooth. Sebring's main paddock area is, I think, an old section of concrete runway that isn't as smooth as the photo suggests.

Okay, question on the the Lola's engine. Is that actually a 3.5 liter or a non-original 4.0 liter? I thought the rules for the then new Group C class called for normally aspirated engines with a maximum displacement of 3.5 liters. The apparent reason for this was the FIA wanted to encourage manufacturers to build engines that would be somewhat compatible with the 3.5 liter displacement limit at the time for Formula 1 engines so that F1 would benefit. Jaguar rebadged a 3.5 liter Cosworth V-8 and won the series in 1991 before withdrawing. Peugot and Toyota built V-10s, Mercedes built a troublesome flat 12, and Lola and Mazda used Judd V-8s. Peugot won the series in 92 and Lemans in 92 and 93, and then went on to supply engines in F1 for a few years with little success, the only Group C manufacturer to move on to F1 I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.