Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front targa windshield seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robby750
After watching a new seal sell on Ebay for over $750.00, I thought I would put my used one up for sale hoping to get $50.00 or so. Look what happened. Apparently the demand is there. Ebay link
wbergtho
Wow...I knew these seals were expensive...but holy cow...$255 for a decent used one? If we could make a connection with a company (probably in Asia) that can reproduce this seal (and do it well). There would definitely be a market for it. I suppose a new one could fetch $350-450?
Bartlett 914
Did the group purchase Slits setup fall through or are they still on hold?
SLITS
This has been answered a few times before, but here goes....

1. ) there are about 4 - 5 seperate profiles that have to be made.

2.) three of the profiles have metal imbedded in them

3.) Are you willing to put up $50K for the extrusion dies? (don't know the actual, just guesstimated

4.) Are you willing to put up another $100K for a run of 500 and sit on them?

Those are the answers you are not looking for. Probably, one's time would be better spent looking at the thousands of profiles available to find some that a reasonable seal could be made from

or

You put up a deposit and wait and see if Porsche makes a run of them...I've been waiting for about a year now. If they do, the seal should run in the $280+ range retail.

I am seriously considering cancellation of my order and getting my $5K deposit refunded.
MoveQik
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Aug 25 2006, 06:57 AM) *

Wow...I knew these seals were expensive...but holy cow...$255 for a decent used one? If we could make a connection with a company (probably in Asia) that can reproduce this seal (and do it well). There would definitely be a market for it. I suppose a new one could fetch $350-450?

I doubt a new repro seal could get that much. I paid $280 for a Porsche NOS seal about 10 months ago and that was from Patrick Motorsports here in town. I would guess that repros would go for less than that. The factory seals have metal inside where they slip over the lip in the car and they are made from a higher quality material. The repros that I have seen have servedd their purpose but were clearly a notch below the originals.

I don't know what to believe here as the following story was an AA experience 10 months ago. This is what eventually put me off of them for good. But here is what I was told:

I needed the very seal that you are talking about. I ordered the AA repro seal. It was "in stock" Clearly it wasn't but the point of this story was that they were obviously getting the repros from somewhere because the seal did finally show up several months later. At the time I was told that their vendor was now up and running again. I think they sold theirs for $120??

So who knows....maybe there will be a source for them soon or maybe it was all BS. Either way, that mold is floating around somewhere so it seems like this part shouldn't be so scarce. confused24.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 25 2006, 07:38 AM) *

This has been answered a few times before, but here goes....

2.) three of the profiles have metal imbedded in them

Clearly Ron is talking about a much better repro seal than what I have seen. None of the ones I have seen have had the metal in them. They were just foam rubber in the shape of the original.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.