Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: No oil filter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledboy
I was helping a buddy wrap up some clutch issues on his Karman Ghia last night, when he asks me "since this car doesn't have an oil filter, should I replace that screen when I change the oil?". After I hit my head on the muffler, all I could say was "huuuuuh???????" blink.gif

The guy he bought the car from told him it had a '74 Super Beetle engine in it, and that there is no oil filter. I don't know anything about non-Type IV aircooleds, so I can't say whether the engine was in fact a later super beetle or original, but I do know I couldn't find a filter, and I was dumbfounded.

So, O aircooled masters, what's the dealeo? confused24.gif
URY914
Type 1 = no filter sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Bug, Super Betle, Ghia. All T1s, all with the SAME engine in each model year. T2 uses the same engine until 1971, and the T3 engine is the same as well, except for the externals. None had a filter other than the screen. All should have an oil change every 3000 miles. All take less than 3 quarts, and the level should be monitored regularly. The Cap'n
Mark Henry
Yep, I try to talk everyone getting a new engine to do the remote filter/full flow mod.

BTW ALL filter pumps and sump filters (any so called bolt ons) are pure junk. Machine in FF is the only right way to add a filter.
aircooledboy
You learn sumpin new every day.

Thanks boys. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.