Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FUEL PUMP TAPPING?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
Ok if it matters, 73 1.8.

When I turn the key on without turning the car over, the fuel pump has a loud tapping noise (rapid fire). Is it going bad, a short, leak, what??? Oh single carb....

Thanks
Brian
SLITS
Facet or similar.....do you have rubber standoffs or is the noise of the contacts opening and closing being transmitted and amplified by the body it's mounted to?

Air hammer.....pinched / leaking suction line?
Marlow
If it is a facet type pump, if it goes dry it will clack loudly until primed.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 25 2006, 06:42 AM) *

Facet or similar.....do you have rubber standoffs or is the noise of the contacts opening and closing being transmitted and amplified by the body it's mounted to?

Air hammer.....pinched / leaking suction line?

Ok it's important to remin those of you listening to today's show that I am the poster child for an automotive simp. So with that being said. WTF.gif
Facet or similar?

Ron, when you say rubber standoffs are you talking about a spacer to absorb the noise? If there is nothing in the form of a spacer.

The following might as well be in German.. smile.gif
Air hammer?
pinched?
Suction line?
Perhaps it would be best for me to just take it to a shop??? I would much rather learn though.

Thanks
Brian
Marlow
Facet or similar?

Is it shaped like a little cube (like 2") with an inlet and outlet on each end?

TINCAN914
QUOTE(porsche914blue @ Aug 25 2006, 07:20 AM) *

Facet or similar?

Is it shaped like a little cube (like 2") with an inlet and outlet on each end?

It''s circular. It will tapp on and off when driving. Some times it's constant, but faint. Often if the car is ideling, say at a stop sign, it will be a constant..
Marlow
Have you checked to see if it's tight in its mounting?
TINCAN914
QUOTE(porsche914blue @ Aug 25 2006, 07:28 AM) *

Have you checked to see if it's tight in its mounting?

Yes that was the first hing I checked... However there is only one screw holding it in place.
Can anyone post a picture of the correct or propper mounting location? It looks like the PO might have changed the location. If it needs to be moved in order to use two mounting screws, I would like to mount it in the propper location.

SirAndy
QUOTE(bmunday @ Aug 25 2006, 08:32 AM) *

Can anyone post a picture of the correct or propper mounting location?

there is no correct and proper mounting location for a carb fuel pump as no 914 ever delievered to the US came with carbs.

having said that, i reused the stock mounting location in the drivers side rear for my rotary carb fuel pump and mounted it with rubber insulators.

and yes, the tapping noise is usually when they run dry. got gas?
idea.gif Andy
Flat VW
My experience with the Facet pumps is to be concerned when they STOP making tapping sounds.... comes with the dinners.

John wavey.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2006, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(bmunday @ Aug 25 2006, 08:32 AM) *

Can anyone post a picture of the correct or propper mounting location?

there is no correct and proper mounting location for a carb fuel pump as no 914 ever delievered to the US came with carbs.
headbang.gif I guess I could have phrased the question better, best location for the fuel pump.

having said that, i reused the stock mounting location in the drivers side rear for my rotary carb fuel pump and mounted it with rubber insulators.
I will give the insulator a shot.

and yes, the tapping noise is usually when they run dry. got gas?
idea.gif Andy

Gas I got....

When the fuel pump is running, should it be a steady flow, or is it pulsating, as if you are turning off and on a faucet?
Might be a stupid question....
SLITS
Solenoid types are pulsing.....accompanied by a tappity tap tap or tickety tick tick .... though it is fast enough that you would percieve it as a steady flow.

Roller types hum and whine and are favorites of the CGBC .... especially the hummers

Any of them, not isolated on rubber standoffs, will transmit sound thru the body. Even if they are isolated, you can still hear them.

You got gas ....... take Beno or GasX
TINCAN914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 25 2006, 11:32 AM) *

Solenoid types are pulsing.....accompanied by a tappity tap tap or tickety tick tick .... though it is fast enough that you would percieve it as a steady flow.

Roller types hum and whine and are favorites of the CGBC .... especially the hummers

Any of them, not isolated on rubber standoffs, will transmit sound thru the body. Even if they are isolated, you can still hear them.

You got gas ....... take Beno or GasX

LOL!!! Thanks Ron... Tomorrow, I will relocate the pump and find some something to absorbe the sound. Will see how that works...

Thanks again everyone for the feedback and education..... clap56.gif
JPB
Them Facets click and such when running. If ya want it realy quiet, don't let the pump touch the car just suspend it by the hoses. You will still hear it run but not amplified by the car's body and it won't be as bad.

beer.gif Good pump though.
HeavyHeavy
I had the same thing happening on my car with that cube
shaped pump, so I went to a place here in Albuquerque called
Foreign Aide and bought a new Pierburg fuel pump. It is
much quieter and, according to them, puts out a more
appropriate pressure for my Webers. I'm happy with it so
far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.