Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Panel adhesive?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boxsterund914
I was talking to some people here at work about the extensive rust problems teeners have. The subject rolled around to someone talking about a panel adhesive that is suposedly stronger than welded joints. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I supose it would be some kind of two part adhesive but I don't know.

Anyone used such a thing? If it's out there I'd like to experiment.
eric914
3M makes some two sided tape that is used to bond body pannels on semi trailers. Not sure if anyone has used it in a structural role.

3M tape
Boxsterund914
QUOTE(eric914 @ Aug 25 2006, 02:52 PM) *

3M makes some two sided tape that is used to bond body pannels on semi trailers. Not sure if anyone has used it in a structural role.

3M tape

Someone else was just telling me they saw something like this on a show called "trucks" but didn't know what it was called.
Boxsterund914
QUOTE(Boxsterund914 @ Aug 25 2006, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(eric914 @ Aug 25 2006, 02:52 PM) *

3M tape

Someone else was just telling me they saw something like this on a show called "trucks" but didn't know what it was called.

Sorry, not the tape but the adhesive is what they saw.
Kerrys914
I looked into it when installing my flares.. The gun to apply it was $$$$$ and wasn't worth the cost IMHO.

It is strong stuff.

Worse the POR-15 if it gets in the wrong place wink.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Aug 25 2006, 11:21 AM) *

It is strong stuff.

HAHAHA: "this is glue....strong stuff"
IPB Image
brant
we used panel adhesives extensively when building the race car.
we did it where we needed to bond two dissimilar types of metal

(ie: aluminum panels touching steel)

we used the brand Fusor
fusor makes about 15 different styles of professional adhesive depending upon the application.

I think it would be cheaper/more simple to use welding if the metal is of the same type and could be welded.

we did not use the adhesive on anything structural
and I don't think I would trust it for an application that had force applied in multiple planes. I couldn't really trust it myself as a rust repair, only as a non structural use.

there are other brands too
go to a professional body shop supply place and the will have something.

brant
tod914
Would it be good for a battery tray do you think?
pfierb
That stuff is used extensively in the aircraft industry.
morph
plexus biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.