Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can/does a fuel pump, pump air?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
if you started with an empty fuel tank and hooked up all the hoses and lines for a D-jet fuel pump in stock position under the battery and then you put gas in the tank.... (finally getting to the point)... wouldn't you trap some air in the fuel line between the tank and the pump? if you run the pump, as in trying to start the car, would the pump eventually pump the air out and start pumping gas?

i think i might put gas in the tank and open the fuel line at the filter to get the air out.
TravisNeff
It will pump air, air is a fluid as well.

I have never had a problem with putting in a fuel pump - and have to prime it with fuel.
SLITS
Since the pump is lower than the outlet of the tank, it is a "flooded suction". The fuel will displace the air as it flows into the line.

A fuel pump....rotary or solenoid design ... is not a good air pump ... hence the need for the pump to feasibly be near the tank and lower. They are better at pushing than sucking.

A diaphram pump (mechanical) is esentially sealed and can be mounted a distance away and higher than the outlet of the tank as they are considered a sucker and can pump air readily.

Which is why a lot of cars utlizing a electric pump have a booster pump in the tank .... a submerged pump if you wish to feed the main fuel pump.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.