Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Duty on used car parts shipped from Great Britain
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I found a part I've been looking for for a long time, but it's in Great Britain. I've never bought used car parts from across the pond. Will there be a customs duty I have to pay? The item in question is about $200 US.
GWN7
It dosen't matter where the part comes from...what matters is where the part is made......if it is made in Germany (for a 914?) I think the duty is 6% (it's 6% for them up here). You could/should check with Customs -Rates of duty- country of origin.
mihai914
It also depends on the guy at customs and how he feels. In the US I think they are pretty relaxed on stuff up to $200, in Canada though, anything over $20 has to be taxed. You can always take the risk and have the guy mark down the value and say it's a VW part.
GWN7
VW parts come from Germany (6%) or Brazil (20%) smile.gif
mihai914
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 25 2006, 11:59 PM) *

VW parts come from Germany (6%) or Brazil (20%) smile.gif

I know but a guy who buys VW parts is supposed to be poorer than a guy who buys some for a Porsche. Buy some for a Lada and the customs guy will feel so bad for you he'll probably send you some cash!
bondo
Huh, I didn't know it worked that way. I believe the part is actually manufactured in Italy.
GWN7
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import/duty_rates/

take a lookie here for rates.... you need country of manufacture to determine it's rate of duty.
fiid
I bought guages from the UK. The guy wrote "gift" on the form and I didn't pay anything. I think I sent him the money via paypal.

I did pay duty when I bought Skis from NZ - it wasn't very expensive - might have been $40 on a $900 set of skis or something.... This was at LAX airport. They are a bit hard to conceal..... biggrin.gif
tracks914
Used car parts (for a 35 year old car) or new car parts (for a 35 year old car) are duty free in Canada. We still have to pay GST PST and sometimes customs brokerage fees depending on how it is shipped.
Slowpoke
I have bought a lot of parts from GB for my TR8 projects over the years and have never paid a tax. Maybe I'm lucky, I don't know. The box comes with all kinds of labels on them, but, I have never heard from the tax man. biggrin.gif But, it does take a while to get here, somethings 8 or 9 weeks. Maybe I'm just impatient
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.