Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 gauge help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DerekKim
Hello everyone. Let me start first by saying I have a confession to make. I have not driven my 914 in 2 months! I had forgotten why I got it in the first place. (lost reverse and first, used 2nd to go and pushed it out of parking spots and then lost 3rd and 4th) Well a friend of mine came over today to hang out for a bit while I was taking a break(literally) from tiling my floor. What a pain in the back. He started talking about his Fiero that he had flipped and set a goal tonight to buy another one. Well we went outside after a while and cranked up ol' Bernadette(914). I then thought "Hey lets roll her on back and see if we can get her into 2nd". Well we managed to and I drove her on down to get some fuel. Man what a rush it was to drive her again. Anyways so I am now dead set on getting the car running again. I do believe and hope with all my heart it is just the shifter/firewall bushing. We will see soon enough though. While thinking of a few things I have in my room to add to the car I forgot about my gauge cluster with the temperature gauge and not just the light. So on to the questions. I have a 73 with the tach on the right speedo in the center and the oil/fuel gauge on the left. The big problem is though that it is only a light!! It really bugs me because I never know if it is working or not. So my question is can I just hook up the new gauge with the actual temperature gauge or do I have to run something else? I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me as it is frustrating to not know if the engine is slightly overheated or not. Sorry for the hecka long post but I had to tell the story... I guess I didn't but thought people might want to know. Anyways thanks for reading.

Derek
John
Left to right:

Fuel gauge (left) (with Generator Warning light (red), Oil Pressure light (green) and brake warning light (red))

Tachometer (center)

Speedometer (right)

When you first turn the key to the "on" position, The green Oil pressure warning light and the Generator Warning light should illuminate. When you crank and start the car, both lights should go out.

If you have a new gauge that has both Fuel Level and Temperature at the top, you will need the temperature sensor mounted to the bottom of the engine in what is referred to as a "taco plate". The "taco plate" is a round metal plate that bolts to the drivers side bottom of the engine case. It is held on by two bolts. The plate is round and is threaded for a temperature sensor. The wire leads up from this plate (green wirre with black stripe I believe). This wire will connect to the temperature gauge.

I hope this helps.
DerekKim
Awesome so this green with black stripe wire is already in the harness and near by the "taco plate"? If so this should be cake to install I hope. Thanks I will look into getting this temperature sensor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.