Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front suspension install problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
I have reconditioned the front suspension on my 75 914 2.0. everything has been powdercoated, a arms, carriers etc. I have installed new plastic poly bushings into the main carrier (the one closest to the steering rack). I am trying to install the a arm now and have had my ass properly kicked! I cannot get the a arm to slide into the bushing at the end closest to the steering carrier. I have tried constant pressure by hand arm and leg. I have tried tapping with a rubber mallet. The damn thing will not insert. It goes in about 1/4 - 1/2 inch and stops. Any tips???

smash.gif
Eric_Shea
Am I readying this wrong?

The bushings go on the arm not the main carrier (or crossbar).

Bushings on the arm. Sleeves over the bushings (these may be the carrier you're talking about). Mount everything in place.

Now, that being said... if you powdercoated the bushing surface you may have an issue with the clearance. The arms are not what we would like in the "consistency" arena. You may have to sand down the powdercoating on that surface to get the bushing to slide on. If they are the Weltmeister "racing" bushings then you can get a brake cylinder hone at your FLAPS and hone the bushing to fit the arm. If they are the more malleable street bushings, you may have better luck sanding the arm.

Help?
Eric_Shea
One more thing that may or may not help.

When it comes to entire front suspensions, I like to assemble them first and then put them on the car. It will probably take a friend (although I have done it solo... story of my life) and a floor jack.

Put the crossbar on the floorjack and have the friend hold the noses of the a-arms as you slide the completed assembly back into place. You can be below manning the wrench and bolts.
bcheney
Yes it does. I may try the method of assembling everything then istalling it. When you say sand the bushing surface of powdercoating, you mean the surface inside the carrier correct?
Eric_Shea
When you say sand the bushing surface of powdercoating, you mean the surface inside the carrier correct?

You may find you need to adjust all areas. If you've built up a good layer of powdercoating on the arm and the carrier and where the carrier mounts into the crossbar, they all may need to be addressed.

There's quite a few members who have powdercoated theirs on the board so I'm sure they can weigh in with what they've done. When I install them on the rear, it can be very easy to drop a similar bushing into the control arm. Introduce the shaft and it's a different story.

Same may apply here. put the bushing over the a-arm shaft and it may be difficult to get it in the carrier, probably due to the excess powdercoating on both pieces.

Either way... it's easier to assemble those pieces on the bench and check for tolerences there vs. laying on your back on the ground without much leverage. wink.gif
Mueller
powdercoating

you have now made the ID of the mounts smaller and the OD of the a-arm bearing surface larger......you'll have to figure out what part to sand/Dremel to get a decent fit.

You want the bushing to rotate on the a-arm and be somewhat tight in the mounts(not a press fit, just enough to prevent rotation)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.