Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 week tour Summer 2004?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
This could be fun, we could travel the East & Midwest, SouthEast...
Join for a day, join for the duration. Anyone interested enough to take on the planning with me?
This should be an unofficial undertaking.

If there is enough interest I'm in.
GaroldShaffer
Yes, No , Maybe, Sounds interesting. Not sure I could do two weeks but I am willing to help work
out the details.

- Garold
redshift
I might be up for a 'roll-over' tour, pick it up for a few days..

TRY TO PLAN IT AROUND A TIME WHEN I CAN DRIVE... IF POSSIBLE

M
seanery
I guess I'm kinda thinking like POWER TOUR. Some people go a little, some people go a lot.
All backroads kinda stuff for us, though.
GaroldShaffer
You know we could always start small, maybe a tour
of Indiana via the back roads. I could work out the stuff for NWI, A nice drive along the lake shore area?

- Garold
seanery
I'm looking for an excuse to go east. I haven't gone to a lot of the far NE states.
Andyrew
Me and dad where thinking of a road trip, this might be what we where looking for...

We'll talk about it.

Andrew

(whoo hoo, 500'th post!!!!)

mueba.gif
GaroldShaffer
I think there would be a need for a support vehicle.
A beer truck with a few extra parts laugh.gif

Seriuosly, something to consider I think would be
stop points and where & who could help if anyone
had problems. Kind of like we did for Joan on her
cross country drive.

- Garold
JeffBowlsby
What if it were a relay-type of event where a few 914s drive for awhile on an organized route carrying a club _____ and take photos of it at select places? That way we could all drive a little and leverage the fun. Make each leg a days drive or so, so we could meet up with 914s in neighboring towns...

The trick would be to organize the route and get 914s to sign up for individual legs of the journey, ans slect rendezvous points.

And for the finale...have it end at the West Coast Classic next year. Then we do the flip flop next year and it ends at the ECR or some other EC event.

We could probably get sponsorships for gas/parts and media attention if it were well done.
robby750
I think this is a great idea. clap56.gif
mharrison
MY Yamaha Motorcycle club did an around the world relay with a bag (really nice backpack type).
IPB Image A fellow Yamaha lover picked the bag up in New Zealand and started the relay. It went all through Europe, The US, South America, Canada, England, and many other places.
An early site with some dead content.
(I'll try to dig up some of the mpg's of news coverage.)
Everyone entered something in the log, put something in the bag, took pictures and enjoyed meeting other Yamaha XJ members. I added a patch from the Natchez Trace Parkway, a federal parkway that runs from the Nashville area down to Natchez, MS. Reading the log was a blast. Meeting the other memeber was the icing on the cake. I (In the Jacksonl, Mississippi area) met some guys from Texas brought the bag up to Madison, then down to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We shipped the bag VIA fed-ex to members over-seas. It has been around the world twice now and just finished up in Oregon.
I'm all for something like this as I enjoyed it so much before. We pitched in and had patches made for the relay riders. It had our logo and the XJ World Relay stiched on it. Let me know what I can do to help.
Part Pricer
Interesting idea. I was thinking about a road trip in the Spring. But, I've got a destination in mind, The Porsche Rennsport Reunion II.

It would be 2,200 miles round-trip for me. April is a good time to head south.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Hay: There is a guy from the 911 board is trying to set up a trip to the Rennsport Reunion this spring. He lives in Mich. so far he has ( to my knowledge) my self and Tab Tanner signed on . Plans call for trip down I-75 with planed stops to pick up newbes, and motels . There are a lot of P.Cars in Mich. ,Ohio , Kentucky, Tenn. ,Georgia,and Fl.
THis was posted on P.P. Great Lakes Board. I will edit with his E-Mail. Sounds fun to me Dave agree.gif
seanery
Dave,

If you talk to Tab tell him I'm not blowing him off, I've been incredibly busy since mid August out of town A lot!

thanks Dave!

-sean
rick 918-S
I'll be watching this thread closely. Set a date early. Stick to it. Everyone change your plans, call in sick, quit your job, fix your car, what ever it takes. I have started working on the Alien again. This may be the event that gets me out of the garage.
d914
not much on planning but I can add to head count. I can at least do a week.
STL914
I'd second the NE route.

I spent roughly 20 months working contract assignments in Mass and CT. and wished I had my 914 with me. The back roads out there are narrow, winding and often line by stone fence walls. Not to mention the amount of historic places in close proximity to each other, such as Lexington and Concord.

As a side trip, a day on Martha's Vinyard would be great adventure. Imagine the ferry loaded with 10 to 20 914's headed across the bay to the island. Been there with my wife, but without a vehicle, we were doing our sight seeing via the island bus system.

Or a day or two on Cape Cod! Again, great roads, great food and tons of seenery.

Any thoughts on this?

driving.gif
McMark
I'm in. It can't really start or finish at the West Coast Classic because that's already a week long event, so people who wanted to go to that and the duration of the tour would have to take three weeks off. Ouch.
Blake
If you are doing a relay, why not re-create one of the best folk ledgends of all time: Steal a pink flamingo from someone's yard, take it around the country, then sneek it back into the original yard with a bunch of photos of where it's been...Grand Canyon, Empire State Building, The Green Monster, Las Vegas, Niagra Falls, etc. smile.gif
rick 918-S
That flamingo idea is too funny happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif happy11.gif
type47
i'll be a contact for the mid-atlantic region (MD, VA, DC) driving.gif
stock93
If you guys do go by the southeast I would love to pick it up for a bit. I'd like to go to the rennsport reunion as well. This is car/$$$ permiting.

John
scottb
depending on the timing, i'm in for the northeast portion. driving.gif
seanery
OK, let's put some thought to this thing.

1. When is a good time (is there ever) ?
2. Who knows some great locations?
3. Backroads all the way, or a mix of Freeway/Hiway/Backroads?
4. How long to drive each day?

I guess that's enough questions for now.
GaroldShaffer
I would think that we would start with a basic "where does
everyone live" that seems to be interestedin doing this. Then
do a first past on a route design using the major highways.
Not that we would go past everyones front door, but to just get a idea where everyone is to help plot out a route.

After that then work on a more detailed route(s). Maybe work
on plan meeting points for people to join in?

As for time of year, late spring, not to hot, not to cold? confused24.gif

- Garold
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Oct 25 2003, 02:01 AM)
...I was thinking about a road trip in the Spring. But, I've got a destination in mind, The Porsche Rennsport Reunion II.

if we plan this right, we can meet you as you pass through the NJ/Philadelphia corridor and we can do something of a caravan. we're probably too close to do an overnight stop but if you wanted to, we could make it happen... (like in case you wound up getting out later than you expected on the first day, something i can relate to ...)
seanery
I'm kinda thinking that ending in Daytona for a Rensport Reunion would be very trick!
seanery
Here's my rough idea. I don't know the feasability or places to stop, etc...yet.

Departure:
Indy
Angola, IN
Toledo, OH
Cleveland, OH
Erie, PA
New York State (where? It's big!)
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Massachusetts
Connecticut
NYC, Philly or DC
Delaware
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida-Ending Daytona Beach for Rennsport Reunion

If you're in the areas listed and interested what ideas do you have?

thanks
Part Pricer
You are ambitious! I went to Mapquest and mapped out your trip just to get to my house in Connecticut. That part is about 1,500 miles. Then, from my house to Daytona is about 1,100 miles if you drove straight down.
seanery
Yeah, I just eyeballed a map, nothing scientific. Can it ben done in 11 days and still be fun?
Part Pricer
It can be done. But, I don't know how much fun it would be.

If you are going to Rennsport Renunion II, you should plan on 4 days there. That leaves you with 7 days for travel.

I mapped out a trip from:

Indianapolis, IN (your place)
Redding, CT (my place)
Philadelphia, PA (Rich's)
Savannah, GA (Miles)
Daytona Beach, FL (Rennsport)
Indianapolis, IN

This trip is 2880.88 miles with an estimated driving time of 46 hours, 40 minutes. That's six 8-hour days. That gives you time to eat, sleep and drink. But, does not allow for things like hangovers.

You might want to plan a more direct route and allow more time for fun on the way.
seanery
I was thinking 11 days for driving and 3 days for Rennsport Reunion.

The backend home doesn't concern me too much. I've done Key West to Indy straight through before, so it's not that bad.
TheCabinetmaker
Sean, I won't be able to make it, but yes you can do it. My last road trip in the teen( no counting the ramble) was 4400 miles in 14 days(8 year old grandson in tow). Departed Tulsa, one night in Albuquerque, one in Alamogordo,three nights in Yuma, one night in San Diego, three nights in Vegas, two nights in Flagstaff( saw another teen there), one more in Albuquerque, an two in Sante Fe. I'd do it again in a heartbeat(with my girl friend this time).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.