Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess who got a new Non-NARP yesterday?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
The newest member of the Non-NARP Water Pumper Club is Series 9. smilie_pokal.gif

*Joe, be sure to send Howard your membership dues along with the track fees.
Aaron Cox
did he get the membership basket yet? ie, a nice bottle of wine, and some cheese?

LOL....
VegasRacer
The above post is a lie. ph34r.gif
Joe did get a new car yesterday, but not a 968.

Joe got this really cool Corvette. icon8.gif

Click to view attachment

He plans to add a bigger wing and expand the air brushed tigers on the hood to cover the entire car.

Click to view attachment
carreraguy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 26 2006, 04:23 PM) *

did he get the membership basket yet? ie, a nice bottle of wine, and some cheese?

LOL....

Please don't forget the rules on how NOT to drive a vintage Porsche 908! biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
Ok. smile.gif Now the truth. slap.gif

I got a call from Sieres 9 a week ago. A Turtle Mountain drinking buddy bought a 968 in Utah. Their plan was to fly in to Vegas and have me drive them to Cedar City for a PPI. They arrived yesterday. The only thing I own with more than 2 seat is the tow vechicle. (I neglected to tell them the AC is non-opp until we were leaving the airport parking lot. devil.gif ) Friday traffic getting out of Vegas Sucked! The drive through the Gorge was great. (It would have been more fun in Elvira or the Z)

The sweet black 968 passed the PPI and John Nelson is now a first time Porsche owner.
Congratulations. beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Nelson plans to show off his new prize at the RRC and will be in the NM caravan with Seires 9 and Turtle Girl.
JPB
Hope he dosen't mind getting passed by a 1.7.LOL

beer.gif And a drunk one at that!!!
VegasRacer
After chowtime.gif to celebrate (thanks Nelson) they headed to Page for the night.

They should be back home in Rio Rancho by now. driving.gif
See you in Moab. drunk.gif
Allan
And the reason for such treason is????
GWN7
Well pretty soon John will want to upgrade to a 914 smile.gif

(nice car btw)......
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 26 2006, 05:42 PM) *

And the reason for such treason is????

Take one for a test drive.
Gustl
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 27 2006, 01:21 AM) *

... Non-NARP ...

what is a NARP or a Non-NARP ??? confused24.gif

unsure.gif Gustl
914-8
That is just a newer NARP.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 26 2006, 11:55 PM) *

what is a NARP or a Non-NARP ??? confused24.gif

NARP = Not A Real Porsche (like for example that old VW 914 we all like so much around here ...)

Non-NARP = A Real Porsche

smile.gif Andy
Gustl
thanks Andy pray.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Series9
Sorry I missed this.

Nelson will be at the RRC.

Here's me doing 130mph in Nelson's first Porsche.

Series9
And another pic of the delivery:

Joe Bob
That white one is cute.....does it come in a masculine model?
Series9
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 12 2006, 10:03 PM) *

Yes, 425hp (was mine):

Toast
Nice Pose! biggrin.gif wub.gif
Click to view attachment
MoveQik
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 26 2006, 04:41 PM) *

Nelson plans to show off his new prize at the RRC and will be in the NM caravan with Seires 9 and Turtle Girl.

mad.gif and me....and boy is he gonna be pissed when my 30 year old car gives him a run for his money!

Oh yeah.....looking forward to meeting you. As I understand it, I owe you a beer for helping Joe unload my engine several weeks back.

And John, what's with the pose? theexperience_hud.gif Good thing you gotta macho looking car! wink.gif
gregrobbins
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 12 2006, 09:03 PM) *

Guess you have never driven one. Here are a few facts about the 968s.

The engine is a very sophisticated version of the 4 cylinder, 3 litre, 16 valve unit first used on the Porsche 944 S2. All alloy with VarioCam for optimum power throughout the speed range. Improved combustion chamber and inlet manifold design, give the engine 240 HP at 6200 rpm and torque of 305Nm at 4100rpm (58Kw/Litre). At the time of production the engine had the highest displacement per cylinder of any car engine and also the highest torque output of any unblown 3 litre engine. Clearly Porsche had invested massive development on this engine with the required result.

The rear mounted gearbox is a 6 speed manual or a 4 speed tiptronic, the first ever on a production car. The tiptronic utilises the research and development done jointly by Porsche and Bosche to manufacture a unit that combines the best qualities of a manual gearbox for the open road with the best qualities of an automatic gearbox for town driving.

The chassis is a delight with it's near perfect weight distribution and very stiff characteristics helped by the torque tube connecting the engine to the gearbox also some 911 components have been used in it's production.
All round independent suspension, McPherson struts up front with semi trailing aluminium arms at the rear with torsion bar springs and separate dampers.

Porsche brakes have always been the envy of most road sports car manufacturers, as this is usually where most road sports cars start to fail, no matter how fast they are in a straight line if you can't take a bend at the right safe speed then you can't use the cars speed. The Porsche 968 has carried forward this important philosophy with little or no discernable fatigue even under harsh use. Self ventillating discs, open ventillation alloy wheels and a study of the air flow around the discs contribute to more than adequate cooling and so minimal fatigue and break fade. ABS adds even more safety to the already excellent braking system. The wheels themselves are designed to prevent the tyre coming off the rim in the event of a sudden pressure loss at speed.

Quote from the British 968 club web page.

Add spirited acceleration and a top speed something over 150, she is lady enough for me. All in all a great touring car. Now for the track and autocross, that would be my '74 2.0L 914

biggrin.gif driving.gif biggrin.gif driving.gif biggrin.gif driving.gif biggrin.gif driving.gif biggrin.gif

MoveQik
Poor Greg...he owns three 914's and gets hazed for having one Porsche that isn't a 914. You can't win!

Greg - You and Susan should get up to Moab if even just for a night. It is an amazing drive through Monument Valley and once you are there...forghettaboutit! It is beautiful! Come up Saturday and haul ass back home with us on Sunday.

After that, we need to hook up for lunch.
gregrobbins
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Sep 12 2006, 10:46 PM) *

Poor Greg...he owns three 914's and gets hazed for having one Porsche that isn't a 914. You can't win!

Greg - You and Susan should get up to Moab if even just for a night. It is an amazing drive through Monument Valley and once you are there...forghettaboutit! It is beautiful! Come up Saturday and haul ass back home with us on Sunday.

After that, we need to hook up for lunch.

Wish we could, but we will be on a plane for Williamsburg VA. Next year for sure, with the Bumble Bee. She is in the final stages of paint as I write. Picked up a few goodies for her at the GAF Sunday. Now all I need to do is add a Subby or a SBC and she will be ready to fly.
MoveQik
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Sep 12 2006, 10:53 PM) *

Now all I need to do is add a Subby or a SBC and she will be ready to fly.

ohmy.gif confused24.gif barf.gif poke.gif biggrin.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(Series9 @ Sep 12 2006, 10:00 PM) *

Sorry I missed this.

Nelson will be at the RRC.

Here's me doing 130mph in Nelson's first Porsche.

He lies. He was only going about 85 when I took that picture. Still, I was going 80 only an hour or so later when I got tagged by the Navajo Nation cop. At least the cop was pretty cool about it. Dammit Joe, wish I'd had the opportunity to hit 135mph. Again though, hitting 120mph on I-25 on-ramps isn't bad. Damn, this thing was made for highway 4 between Jemez and the Valle Grande!
Madswede
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Sep 12 2006, 11:29 PM) *

mad.gif and me....and boy is he gonna be pissed when my 30 year old car gives him a run for his money!

Oh yeah.....looking forward to meeting you. As I understand it, I owe you a beer for helping Joe unload my engine several weeks back.

Actually, yeah you do. I got grease all over my favorite In-n-Out burger shirt 'cos of that engine. Heheheh.

And John, what's with the pose? theexperience_hud.gif Good thing you gotta macho looking car! wink.gif

Gotta remember that's John ... not me, Jon. I was wondering wtf that was about. John's cool in my book, even if he is ... well, let's just say "casual about his posing." I was only sorry I couldn't enjoy a ride in Elvira up from Vegas ... instead we had to ride in the van. Speaking of owing beers, I got yer back in Moab next weekend big time John. Thanks again, man.
soloracer
Nice car! I just bought one a week ago as well. It's slightly modified though....slightly. As a Lambo Diablo recently found out. *lol*
soloracer
Another Pic of the 479 hp Beast.

Madswede
QUOTE(soloracer @ Sep 14 2006, 11:38 AM) *

Another Pic of the 479 hp Beast.

That's a beaut! Not very many turbo 968s around, good find! I figured I'd start out mellow with the reasonable and yet still extremely fun to drive good ol' normally aspirated 968. O'Brien keeps telling me that when he gets Series9 open in Florida I need to scrape together a small heap of cash for a turbo conversion ... I think to myself a lot, "Hmmm ... do I really want to do that?" I've read in Porsche Excellence about a guy in SoCal who uses his ~500hp converted 968 turbo as a daily driver, complete with A/C still - they had to do some really interesting routing and placement of the intercooler, but it looked pretty nice actually. Can't imagine what hell it must be in LA driving that much hp around the fucking 405, 101, what-have-you. (yeah, I just marked myself as an ex-SoCal resident)

- Jon
MoveQik
QUOTE(Madswede @ Sep 13 2006, 12:06 AM) *

QUOTE(MW 914 @ Sep 12 2006, 11:29 PM) *

Actually, yeah you do. I got grease all over my favorite In-n-Out burger shirt 'cos of that engine. Heheheh.

Gotta remember that's John ... not me, Jon. I was wondering wtf that was about. John's cool in my book, even if he is ... well, let's just say "casual about his posing." I was only sorry I couldn't enjoy a ride in Elvira up from Vegas ... instead we had to ride in the van. Speaking of owing beers, I got yer back in Moab next weekend big time John. Thanks again, man.

Hmmm....let me clarify...I was giving John Peterson a hard time for not including me in the NM caravan.

And....

I assumed that you were one of the guys that helped Joe unload my 3.2 engine at Joe's house when it arrived so I figgerd I owe you a beer. See you at Joe's before Moab when I pick up my car!
914nerd
QUOTE(Madswede @ Sep 13 2006, 01:00 AM) *

Damn, this thing was made for highway 4 between Jemez and the Valle Grande!

That's true
That road is made for pretty much anything that is fun to drive through curves
Also, down past Bandelier is pretty good (although not as good)
Damn, now I wish I were out there driving
driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.