Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Want to calculate torsion bar rate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914forme
Okay I am brain dead here, I tried to morph the one out of Fred Puhn's Book, but then I get numbers to the 10 and 11 power in foot pounds confused24.gif

Any math wiz out there want to give this a try. Working hte last two days for 48 hours straight has done my brain no good.

Here is the formula it can be found also in How to make your car handel page 142.

=SUM(1,178,0*(D2^4)/L2*A2^2)

D = diameter
L is the length of the bar
A lever arm length

TIA, I am off to get some much needed rest

Take care, Stephen Jacobs
sixnotfour
http://www.proshocks.com/calcs/torsionrate.htm
Borderline
Stephen:

the basic fromula for a torsion bar is: angle of deflection=(torque * length)/(19691*d^4)

"Angle of deflection" is in degrees.
"Torque" applied to bar is in in-lbs.
"length" is the effective length of the torsion bar in inches.
"d" is the diameter of the torsion bar in inches.

My numbers show the stock Tbar to be about 107#/inch at the wheel.
A 22mm Tbar would be about 240 #/inch at the wheel.

Hope this helps confused24.gif
914forme
Yeah the caclualtion works
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

I forgot to change the 19mm into inches
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

A 19 inch Torsion bar on a 914 will produce numbers to the 10 and 11 powers.

It is times like these that make you humble.

I actually did not realize it until I went and used the on line cacluator, and it came up the same.

Thanks again guys,
Take care, Stephen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.